Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why do you drink alcohol? and what are you limits? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iain 815)
    My flatmate gave me a taste of Disaronno and coke in the last week of uni. I slapped him for not introducing it to me sooner. :pinch:
    Nonono Disaronno and lemonade is much better
    Or maybe just the disaronno on it's own <3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pina.Love)
    I have seen people a very few amount of people drink alcohol because they like the taste the rest drink it just to get drunk..which i find it hard to understand because:
    you do not remember what you did the night before,
    you get terrible hangovers which means you can barely get your head up,
    and you look disgusting when throwing up in front of your mates or even the boy/girl you fancy.
    I also have to join the 'you don't understand what being drunk is' bandwagon. If you did the above, then you're not drunk, you're completely out of it.

If that happened to you all the time then you just can't handle your drink.

Or you're lying and you've never been drunk before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sh4w)
    :gasp: Don't ruin Disaronno by putting coke in it!
    Well sorrrrrrry for liking an alcoholic beverage that tastes like Dr Pepper when the pub doesn't stock any actual Dr Pepper!!

Because i just love having a raging hardo- headache. A raging headache.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CityOfMyHeart)
    God yes, it makes me insanely sleepy.
    It's mainly wine that makes me feel sleepy, followed somewhat by lager.

ReputationRep:
    because i like the taste of cider and whisky plus there are health benefits

ReputationRep:
    I am starting to notice these days (haha I sound so old) that people especially the young are drinking alcohol just to get drunk and I am starting to think its pathetic.
    That's the only reason anyone has ever drunk alcohol. Do you seriously think people would historically have gone to any lengths to brew and distil if not for the effects?

A friend of mine can only have a "good time" once she has gotten drunk
    That's so obviously untrue that it is ludicrous. Save for a few middle aged alcoholics who have pissed their lives away and can only function with booze in their system and frazzled their brains in the process, nobody is like that.

ReputationRep:
    lol urm am 17 nd know freinds who drink and they enjoy it. iv never had alchohol ever and dont want to. but u can still have fun and dance and enjoy your self.

i think its more of a illusion that if you have a drink you will have more nah you can have a great time regardless of being drunk.

ReputationRep:
    I drink because I love the taste of Malibu, But I don't binge drink anymore its a waste of time.

ReputationRep:
    I don't any more, because it makes me very ill when mixed with the medication I'm on. Finding this out was the only time I have ever felt ill after drinking. :p:

I used to drink because I'm socially useless and it helped me relax and have fun without worrying constantly about everything. Also, the feeling of being a bit tipsy is nice. I agree with everyone who's said that if you really think a drink on a night out will ALWAYS end in vomiting and memory blanks, you've probably not had much experience of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    That's the only reason anyone has ever drunk alcohol. Do you seriously think people would historically have gone to any lengths to brew and distil if not for the effects?

That's so obviously untrue that it is ludicrous. Save for a few middle aged alcoholics who have pissed their lives away and can only function with booze in their system and frazzled their brains in the process, nobody is like that.
    I thought that line was funneh too, when i was in my teens, the only reason we drank, was to get drunk!

ReputationRep:
    I drink because being drunk is, in some social circumstances, more fun and interesting than being sober. I personally don't lack in confidence/self-esteem but i know for some people that being tipsy enhances their social skills - they become more open and therefore interesting. Many of the best and most revealing conversations i've had with people have been under the influence of alcohol. I think alcohol has the ability to strengthen friendships and then make people more at ease with others once they have sobered up. Though, obviously, excessive drinking can lead to fights and the loss of friendships.

That's quite a deep way of looking at it and on a more shallow level drinking simply makes things more fun. The ordinary can become the extraordinary and, basically, everything seems a good giggle. It's a chance to escape from the stuffy adult world. I love it.

Being sick is not much fun though and i hate to admit that i now have a bit of a reputation for not being able to handle my drink (i'm such a lightweight), but in the grand scheme of things it's not that bad and neither are hangovers...once they've passed. The point is that i generally remember the fun things from an evening rather than throwing up or the hangover in the morning, so these side-effects aren't really that bad.

Also, i do enjoy the taste of alcoholic drinks - though i would be lying if i claimed that i drink for the flavour more than the effects of the alcohol. And i can generally remember everything that happened while drunk. I think the idea that you forget things is really overplayed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supercoolfred)
    half a bottle (if its a 75cl bottle, or a litre bottle) is insane. I've had that much over the course of a night, but after I had eaten, and i was seriously feeling it later on.

Having half of a 75cl isn't insane at all.

I've merged the 2 major Alcohol related threads in here because they were starting to overlap a bit

ReputationRep:
    There are some drinks that I do love (baileys and cosmopolitans)
    Sorry, but that sounded unbelievable gay my friend.

ReputationRep:
    I drink because I enjoy the taste. Cider and vodka especially strike a chord with me.
    I don't go out binge drinking or drinking just to get drunk, I merely drink because I like the taste of alcohol and the effect it has in moderate amounts. Drinking yourself sick is really not a clever thing to do, it also heavily damages your liver!

I very rarely get hangovers, I have never yet thrown up and I usually remember most things that have happened

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IsThatAnth?)
    Sorry, but that sounded unbelievable gay my friend.
    Well I am female

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scott20)
    Having half of a 75cl isn't insane at all.
    Thats 15 shots = 15 units, same as 7 and a half pints of beer. To have that, in quick succession, with no effect. Its pretty insane

ReputationRep:
    Half a 75cl is 15 shots? Are you sure about that, i dunno everytime i have gone halves on a 75cl it never equates to that!

I can have half a 75cl vodka bottle in night out for sure, so whatever how many hours that is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinendal Leralonde)
    It's mainly wine that makes me feel sleepy, followed somewhat by lager.
    Wine makes me giggly.
    Vodka makes me sleepy.
    Anything else is alrite :p:

And to the OP, drinking just for the sake of it is dumb, I agree.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.