Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I'm finishing off my accommodation application and have two choices...

Standard room with washbasin: £75 per week
    Ensuite room: £101 per week

Now, i would prefer to be ensuite but I am wondering whether I should with regards to other aspects of my finance

My maintenance grant and loan plus a bursary (not sure if i got it but i think i did as i'm eligible) gives me £7,200

Now overall the standard room comes to £2925 and the en suite comes to £3939

I'm not very good with numbers, money and finance really and so would like to know that if I got the en suite room would I have enough to afford food, spending and going out money too (I plan on having somewhat of a social life :p:)

I am going to look for a job when I arrive but with this recession I'm a little nervous I can find one so I'm seeing if i could manage without a job

ReputationRep:
    £101 for an ensuite room is quite expensive in my opinion...I've applied for a studio room and it's £110 in nottingham.
    I think it'll depend on other financial support you recieve lyk parents or uni bursary
    If you can stick it out and live in the standard room for a year then you should do that because you might not be motivated to get a job and the recession isn't helping like you said.
    Another option is to look for another accomodation

ReputationRep:
    what uni are you going?

edit: omg ignore me :p:
    ur sig jus answered my question lol
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    well the thing to remember is that all halls include elec, water and all other bills most give free ResNet (Internet Connection). £101 for ensuite isn't bad.

Surrey Uni (Guilford) which is really london prices is £100.70 for en-suite which is what i'll prob go for next year and i'll only get like £5500 loan and a small grant. and the lease is 36 weeks so thats £3625.20 which leaves me £1874.80 spread over the 36 weeks thats only £52 a week which with the prices associated with been in the south and near london wont be enough to live off. i think i'll need to have ~£80-£100 to live and have even a moderate social life and buy books etc. so i'm going to have to get a job at uni and save up loads during the holidays seeming as they dont give you all of your maintance loan in one go (33% 1st term, 33% Second, 33% Final)

and i'll be getting no support from my parents.

i'd deffo go for the en-suite remember otherwise you sharing a single bathroom with prob 3-5 others.

good luck with whatever you do.

ReputationRep:
    Not having an en-suite isn't that bad. Unless you live in university accommodation for the entire duration of your degree, you're going to have to share a bathroom anyway. I'd go for non-en-suite just so that I was more comfortable financially.

ReputationRep:
    I would always say don't go for ensuite, its a luxury and especially at a time when finding part time work is hard, its better to go for the cheaper room and have that extra money in reserve

ReputationRep:
    Share the bathroom and have more nights out

That's how I made my decision

ReputationRep:
    Basically, what batty_hatty said. If you can stick sharing a bathroom with other people, then you should do it. That way you'll have more freedom in other areas of your finances. I wanted en-suite, but when I thought about it, if I've got my own wash basin, it's not so bad.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.