Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    what is the name of the license needed to drive a coach & lorry?

and can someone please tell me where i can get one or download one from?

rep for the most helpful.

ReputationRep:
    The licence is exactly the same as everyone already has.. you just need to add more categories. Category C for 'lorries', D for buses and coaches. Before you can even go there, you need to have full category B (car) entitlement.

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/leaflets/d100.pdf for information on the licence together with advice on the D2 form to apply. Unfortunately, you cannot download the D2.

You can order application packs for the D1 and D2
    online from www.direct.gov.uk/motoringforms
    or from us by phoning 0870 240 0009 (between
    8am and 8.30pm Monday to Friday, and between
    8am and 5.30pm on Saturdays).
    You can also get these application packs from:
    • Post Office® branches (D1 only);
    • Traffic Area Offices (D2 only); and
    • DVLA local offices.
    As well as getting the D2 application form, you must also submit a D4 medical report to prove you're medically fit to add these categories to your licence, even as provisional entitlement. See INF4D for more info on this.

Once you have the provisional categories added to your licence counterpart, you may apply for a theory test for those categories.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to do a lorry licence, you need to get and do it NOW because all the rules are chaning in september.

Instead of 2 tests you'll have to do 4.

ReputationRep:
    so once i have d2 and d4 i can apply for category c or d?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure that you can drive a coach (not taking money for lifts you give to people) with a car license so long as you're over a certain age. Don't quote me on that though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bateman)
    so once i have d2 and d4 i can apply for category c or d?
    Provisional entitlement, yes. Then you would need to pass the theory and practical driving tests.

(Original post by R. Murray)
    I'm sure that you can drive a coach (not taking money for lifts you give to people) with a car license so long as you're over a certain age. Don't quote me on that though!
    Not quite true. Those who passed a car test before 1997 had what are now known as "grandfather rights" which gave (and still give) entitlement to drive medium goods vehicles between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes (C1) and minibuses between 9 and 16 seats (D1) as well as the entitlement to tow large trailers (E) with any of the above. Category D1 does have the restriction code 101 (not for hire or reward) but there is a difference between minibus (D1) and full-size coach (D).

For further information, even those with C1, D1 and E on their licences by virtue of "grandfather rights" will not have the right to supervise learner drivers in these categories after April 2010 unless they pass tests in those categories before then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advisor)
    Provisional entitlement, yes. Then you would need to pass the theory and practical driving tests.

Not quite true. Those who passed a car test before 1997 had what are now known as "grandfather rights" which gave (and still give) entitlement to drive medium goods vehicles between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes (C1) and minibuses between 9 and 16 seats (D1) as well as the entitlement to tow large trailers (E) with any of the above. Category D1 does have the restriction code 101 (not for hire or reward) but there is a difference between minibus (D1) and full-size coach (D).

For further information, even those with C1, D1 and E on their licences by virtue of "grandfather rights" will not have the right to supervise learner drivers in these categories after April 2010 unless they pass tests in those categories before then.
    I stand corrected then :p:

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.