Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, after a recent family death i have decide to study medicine however the a levels i do is Physics, Chemistry, Maths and economics ... i am predicted 4 As and in GCSE i got 5A* 8As 2B.... i dont do biology AS will i be at a disadvantage for universities such as Imperial, UCL, Kings ? I am doing work experience at GSK, a Hospital , Pharmacy and at a caring home ?? please help !!

Should i take biology As in my A2 year ?

ReputationRep:
    Ask admissions tutors not TSR.

It would be quite useful to take it but you have to watch the work load, etc.

And looks at a few university websites or www.ucas.co.uk

Good luck...

Medicine wiki is here

Basically, you would be limiting your options to some extent if you didn't have biology to at least AS level but you have chemistry which is for most places the most important A-level. Look at the wiki and see what places are looking for and decide whether they are the sort of places you'd want to spend 5/6 years.

ReputationRep:
    you could do.
    i think there are some unis that dont require biology at all but youre options of places to apply to will be reduced (possibly quite drastically). i personally would drop physics or economics and pick up biology.
    check with your school that timetabling will allow this and ofcourse as MJ said a chat with admission tutors and head of 6form seems in order

ReputationRep:
    I was in exactly the same position as you in terms of no Bio. It isn't really an issue, I got offers despite not having it. I think it is a bit more of an issue at Oxbridge and they do say this on their websites. To be honest chemistry is far more important to them, get your A's and not having biology deosnt really matter in terms of admissions and I'm not sure it makes any real difference in the medical course itself either although I have no experience of this yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sambo2)
    I was in exactly the same position as you in terms of no Bio. It isn't really an issue, I got offers despite not having it. I think it is a bit more of an issue at Oxbridge and they do say this on their websites. To be honest chemistry is far more important to them, get your A's and not having biology deosnt really matter in terms of admissions and I'm not sure it makes any real difference in the medical course itself either although I have no experience of this yet.
    :woo: w00t! I sure hope so

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys buy i was wondering if anyone got into imperial without AS biology or A2 bio ??
    Since it states Chem and/or Bio !

ReputationRep:
    Just do AS Bio, seirously you can revise for it in no time over the summer holidays. I'd say AS Biology is by far easier than Chemistry, Physics or Maths so you shouldn't have any problems with it even if you self teach over the holidays, I'd say you could take the full AS in a single sitting and get an A.

I'd recommend taking the OCR exam board if you do as OCR lacks creativity in their exam questions and recycle many questions for Biology even with the new spec lol.

ReputationRep:
    You could take AS Bio, while your doing your A2's next year - if you could work it out with your school.
    Thats what i'd do, good luck medicine is extremely competitive

ReputationRep:
    You would be limiting your options, but some universities [Albeit rarely] do not require Biology. However I would advise you to do AS Biology

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry and Physics are the important ones for studying medicine apparently, even more so than Biology as that pretty much gets covered during the degree course anyway

you shouldn't worry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hibz123)
    You would be limiting your options, but some universities [Albeit rarely] do not require Biology. However I would advise you to do AS Biology

incorrect - it's actualy quite uncommon for Unis to require bio - eg in scotland only edinburgh deos and i think there is only a few examples in england.
    Imperial/UCL/ocford/cambridge = no bio needed

You will cut your options slightly but not majorly

ReputationRep:
    Most Universities only require Chemistry, not Biology.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=78 shows all the uni which offer undergraduate entry medicine and what they require. As you can see some dont require it but you need to consider you will be at a disadvantage as alot of applicants will have bio to AS if not A2.

You can always apply as you are and if you find you dont get an offer (alot of brilliant candidates dont) then consider doing fast track As and A2 biology in a gap year.

Good luck

EDIT: Mods shouldnt this be in the medicine section

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry is the only necessary A Level, but Biology will defo help your application :yep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.