Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Where to go/fun things to do in East Anglia/East of England Watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I've spent the last year in Cambridge, but all I've seen is Cambridge and London.

I'm going home soon, but I want to see/do some fun stuff before I go. Has anyone any suggestions on any fun things to do/places to see? Preferably trips that I can do in a day or so.

Cheers for the suggestions.

ReputationRep:
    Norwich is nice, good for shopping, loads of nice restaurants, not too sure about whats there to actually see though.

Colchester, like Norwich is really nice as well, kind of historical, quite small, but there are loads of roman ruins and stuff, but again good shopping if thats not quite your thing. Oh and theres a really good Zoo there as well, but a bit outside the city centre. (I live in Chelmsford, so use to go a lot as a kid)

I think it depends on what type of thing you want to do really.
    This is a site for tourism in that area, so should have a lot of info.
    http://www.visiteastofengland.com/th...o/default.aspx

ReputationRep:
    A day spent in Clacton by the sea is not a day soon forgotten.

ReputationRep:
    I personally think Southend is better than Clacton, but each to their own.
    Maldon is a nice little town to visit.

If you can make it as far down as Kent, I really recommend spending a day at Leeds Castle, especially if it's sunny. Beautiful place.

Jim

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roxy potter)
    Basically, I've spent the last year in Cambridge, but all I've seen is Cambridge and London.

I'm going home soon, but I want to see/do some fun stuff before I go. Has anyone any suggestions on any fun things to do/places to see? Preferably trips that I can do in a day or so.

LAKE DISTRICT

ReputationRep:
    bradfield woods
    lol i hav no idea wht this is, but i read it sumwhere in my bio A2, u knw abt coppicing and land management.

ReputationRep:
    Norwich! It has better shopping than Cambridge, plus an enviable castle and cathedral.

Or if you want something more intimate, go to King's Lynn! Birthplace of George Vancouver, y'know. Can't be any more than £10 day return on the train from Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roxy potter)

Don't know what counts as East, but I would suggest-

Southwold Suffolk and surrounding areas. Grantchester. But towns are more interesting so I can only really add Brighton and Hove. Worth a look.

ReputationRep:
    You can get to lots of other places for the day from cambridge, some closer than the rest of East Anglia (Leeds, York, Nottingham, etc).

East Anglia is probably the least interesting area of the UK, trust me. Ely is nice enough to go for a short day trip and it's super close to Cambridge. Otherwise Norwich (which is actually quite far) is the only city really worth going to (I live in the third city and you really don't want to come here).

There's a direct national express bus from Cambridge to Oxford, that would be a nice day trip.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.