Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey ppl im going to lancs to study law in september but can't decide on pendle or furness for my first choice accom. whats the benefits of the different colleges? like is one really big where you know lots of people an one small?

[edit] also, how far are each from libraries and the law school?

I need help!

thanks in advance
    =D

ReputationRep:
    no real difference between the colleges, the accomodation is more whats different,

furnes is closer to the library, though i am not sure which is closer to the law area.. though i expect its furness,

i think currently furness is bigger in terms of size... but you will not know fewer people in either, both have houses of 6-8 people, and thats the main group of people you will meet on the first day, after that you will meet lots of people through course, college and societies so its all rather mute..

ReputationRep:
    I think I will go for Furness as my first choice...purely because it is closer to things so I can be lazy lol

ReputationRep:
    Pendle is much bigger than Furness. I think. Anyway Pendle rocks!

ReputationRep:
    A bit late but nevermind...

I agree that Pendle is the bigger college as Furness is one of the smallest on campus.

Accommodation wise they are very similar - Pendle standard residences have a TV in the kitchen and are in flats of 8. Furness standard residences are in flats of 3-7. Security wise, Pendle is better as they have auto-locking flat doors to keep things secure which Furness standard sadly lacks. The ensuite accommodation is new in both colleges so they are of a very similar style.

Furness college, I think, feels more united as the standard and ensuite blocks are positioned next to each other. In contast, the Pendle standard accommodation forms a quad at the bottom of the spine whereas the ensuite is located in south west campus.

Furness is literally a minute away from Alex Sq and is therefore very close to the shops there, Furness and Fylde colleges [and the teaching rooms that are with them] and is only a couple of minutes from the library and Bowland teaching rooms. Pendle is at the bottom of the spine so is near the Infolab and George Fox - the rest of the teaching rooms and Alex Sq are a few minutes walk away. I think Law is located in County (?) in which case Furness is nearer. That said, nothing is far on campus [whilst things are about 5 minutes walk max from Furness, going from Cartmel to County - tip to tip - only takes about 10/15 minutes].

With regards how many people you know it depends on you. Both have a full Freshers Week calendar and on my first night in Furness, I met huge numbers of people in the bar. You will also meet people in societies and on your course so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

ReputationRep:
    Furness. I'm a law student. Law is in Bowland north. Lectures tend to be in faraday (near bowland north) or the biology lecture theatre (near furness) so it's all good.

God I write boring sentences at 5am.

ReputationRep:
    I did Law. I would say Furness is better. It is relatively central and close to most lecture theatres Ie... George Fox, Elizabeth L, Faraday. From Pendle these venues are a much longer walk and at 9am it may not be too pretty having to walk for about 10 minutes in a rush with a hangover!

Furness is much closer to the library. In terms of accommodation, they're both nice. Pendle has a good bar, but both are very social places to be. From a visual perspective I'd say Pendle, but that is a superficial opinion. Furness is the place I think

ReputationRep:
    Not sure which I'd go for really. Pendle seems like a top college. The people seem sound, nice big bar and it's got a ******* witch for a mascot. Furness is closer to spar and lectures/seminar places, so you can stay in bed longer. The bar feels like a dark little pub, which I like (they seem to have dubstep/jungle over the speakers at times too, which is very welcome).

Err, essentially you can't go wrong with either. I'd say that I'd prefer Pendle college, but Furness is closer to everything, I guess.

ReputationRep:
    I think for sheer lazyness it has to be Furness. although pendle is my second choice so who knows which one I get lol. =D

ReputationRep:
    good call, :P

its why i chose bowland...

ReputationRep:
    Furness is closer to the Spar - but Pendle is right near the other shop on campus (Central) which sells practically the same stuff.

Furness is definately better for the Law school and library, although the campus really isn't that big! Pendle is still only a short walk.

Forget about the bars! I see a lot of people mentioning that "x has the best bar" or "y bar is ****" - ignore it. You'll spend just as much time in the other bars, there's no limits on where you can go and most nights out you'll visit a couple of bars anyway.

Bowland and County are the best for location, with the oldest accommodation and most noise
    South-west campus and that direction (Pendle, Lonsdale, Cartmel) are best for facilities with the newest accommodation, they're also in a nicer looking area and generally quieter (as university campus goes)
    Fylde and Furness are the best compromise, with new accommodation (about 4 years old now) and are pretty close to everything. They're good if you want both location and quality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Audigex)

Bowland and County are the best for location, with the oldest accommodation and most noise
    South-west campus and that direction (Pendle, Lonsdale, Cartmel) are best for facilities with the newest accommodation, they're also in a nicer looking area and generally quieter (as university campus goes)
    Fylde and Furness are the best compromise, with new accommodation (about 4 years old now) and are pretty close to everything. They're good if you want both location and quality.

erm... furness and fylde have some of the newest accomodation... only suppased by the new grizdale and county eco builds..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Audigex)
    Furness is closer to the Spar - but Pendle is right near the other shop on campus (Central) which sells practically the same stuff.
    Just a note about the two shops. They sell the basics [bread, milk etc] but are different. Spar has a bigger selection of, well, everything with bigger freezers, fridges etc. Plus, Spar offers lots of sandwiches and a hot food counter where you can get cooked chickens and pies etc. Central, being a Co-op sells some things Spar doesn't so I sometimes nip to it for something in particular but it tends to be more expensive [or at least I've found that]. Most of my friends in south west and Pendle do most of their campus shopping in Spar for one reason or another.

But anyway, Furness is a minute from Spar [and some of Bowland is above Spar] but Pendle is only 5/10 minutes walk [depending on personal speed and how busy the spine is] so it isn't a major issue as to where you shop. I'd advise doing most of your shopping off campus anyway - in Sainsbury's, Asda and the local markets etc - as it will work out cheaper.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.