Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but I don't really know where else to. Equally sorry if this has come up before; I searched and couldn't find anything. [/Disclaimer]

I noticed whilst perusing the Cantabrian equivalent of this forum that in addition to having a separate area for colleges, they do likewise for courses. This strikes me as a particularly good idea.

It would enable information and questions to all be kept in one place, which would not only make it easier for applicants to find said information; it wouldn't clog up the main forum with very specific course-based questions often revolving around the same issues.

Just a thought. What is the general consensus here?

ReputationRep:
    That we are fewer in number and have never had difficulty keeping questions up together. There aren't enough current students to really make it worthwhile and there's never been a demand for it, although it was discussed at the same time as the collegiate threads (which are similarly underused, although arguably more useful since the information changes less and is less easily available without asking current students)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by statics)
    Just a thought. What is the general consensus here?
    Yes, I've always thought it would be a good idea and never fully understood why such forums don't exist. If the Oxford forum is really so quiet in comparison to Cambridge then the subjects could always be grouped somewhat (e.g. Physics, Chemistry, Engineering together, Maths with Computer Science etc.).

I also don't really see/understand Bekaboo's point that we've never had trouble keeping questions up together. I've seen lots of threads relating to maths come and go when it would have been better for them to be all in one place. It also seems biased that PPE gets a sticky thread to itself in the Oxford forum and nothing else for other subjects.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I've sometimes thought it would be quite a handy thing but then it would be depressing hovering around a Music/Creative Arts/whatever forum in which questions would rarely appear :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you'd need a forum for each topic, but if you changed the 'Colleges' subforum to 'Colleges and Courses', you could have a dedicated Music topic, in which all questions related to Music at Oxford could go.

I think it would be a very good idea, even if it would be utilised more by applicants than current students, because the amount of topics made regarding certain subjects (generally English, PPE, E&M, Law etc.) can get a bit ridiculous at times, and this would certainly alleviate this issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laconic)
    I don't think you'd need a forum for each topic, but if you changed the 'Colleges' subforum to 'Colleges and Courses', you could have a dedicated Music topic, in which all questions related to Music at Oxford could go.

I think it would be a very good idea, even if it would be utilised more by applicants than current students, because the amount of topics made regarding certain subjects (generally English, PPE, E&M, Law etc.) can get a bit ridiculous at times, and this would certainly alleviate this issue.
    Yeh, this was my suggestion exactly, sorry if I wasn't clear. This is what they do in the Cam forum.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Laconic)

That would be quite helpful for me, since whilst there are very few questions about Music, they tend to be the same ones :yes: We could sticky Wiki articles in there too, so everyone would have to read my article before asking questions :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RichE)
    It also seems biased that PPE gets a sticky thread to itself in the Oxford forum and nothing else for other subjects.
    This

There must be almost as many prospective history applicants as PPE applicants, but PPE gets a sticky.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Andy the Anarchist)
    There must be almost as many prospective history applicants as PPE applicants, but PPE gets a sticky.
    PPE "gets a sticky" because at some point before the wiki really took off, Tom went to the trouble of writing an impressively comprehensive PPE guide. The more recent posts in the thread contain a lot more chit-chat, of course, but the initial reason why that thread was pinned was that the first couple of posts provide an excellent source of information for applicants. I don't think there'd be any problem in having a similar sticky for history (or any other subject) if a current or former student were willing to make a similar effort, but so far I haven't seen anything which comes close, really...

As for turning the colleges subforum into a colleges and courses subforum, I have no personal objections to that, but it's true that the Oxford colleges subforum is pretty much dead, and apart from a few exceptions, the threads in the Cambridge colleges and courses subforum aren't really terribly active either. The only real advantage I can see would be a decluttering of the main forum if all those repetitive threads were to be merged into bigger subject threads, that wouldn't necessarily benefit the applicants much. They'd continue to ask the same questions over and over again and not even bother to read the subject threads which already contained the answers. I'm not sure there are enough active posters among the current students around to make those threads any more than a prolonged Q&A thread for clueless applicants, though.:dontknow:

If we already have a seperate subforum, I cant see any actual disadvantage in doing this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    PPE "gets a sticky" because at some point before the wiki really took off, Tom went to the trouble of writing an impressively comprehensive PPE guide. The more recent posts in the thread contain a lot more chit-chat, of course, but the initial reason why that thread was pinned was that the first couple of posts provide an excellent source of information for applicants. I don't think there'd be any problem in having a similar sticky for history (or any other subject) if a current or former student were willing to make a similar effort, but so far I haven't seen anything which comes close, really...

As for turning the colleges subforum into a colleges and courses subforum, I have no personal objections to that, but it's true that the Oxford colleges subforum is pretty much dead, and apart from a few exceptions, the threads in the Cambridge colleges and courses subforum aren't really terribly active either. The only real advantage I can see would be a decluttering of the main forum if all those repetitive threads were to be merged into bigger subject threads, that wouldn't necessarily benefit the applicants much. They'd continue to ask the same questions over and over again and not even bother to read the subject threads which already contained the answers. I'm not sure there are enough active posters among the current students around to make those threads any more than a prolonged Q&A thread for clueless applicants, though.:dontknow:
    Yeah, fair enough, a subject guide is only possible if someone is willing to make that guide. I think it could be possible to have a series of threads working as a guide/ Q &A in the subforum, but again that would be contingent on people writing the guides/ being active on the forum to answer questions.

(Original post by Andy the Anarchist)
    Yeah, fair enough, a subject guide is only possible if someone is willing to make that guide. I think it could be possible to have a series of threads working as a guide/ Q &A in the subforum, but again that would be contingent on people writing the guides/ being active on the forum to answer questions.
    In that case it could be done just like the colleges were. Create the guide in the main forum and mods move it over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)

Mmm, perhaps, but if all these Q&As were grouped in one place it would certainly easier to be find the answers they were looking for with less excuse for not searching. It is more difficult to find something out about your course by searching using key words than it would be to read through a thread.

Even if it were just a prolonged Q&A thread, I think this could serve some benefit. Currently, if an applicant has a rather minor or trivial question to ask about a course, they might feel disinclined to make an entire thread about it in a forum for all oxford students, particularly if they feel they will be shot down by others for not searching adequately or whatever. Applicants could easily post a simply query on a thread, however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena)
    But where are our current lawyers, historians etc to answer questions?
    :wavey:

the ppe thread really is amazing, the guide told me everything i need to know and is invaluable! The thread keeps going because there are so many ppe-ists perhaps because they are so passionate about the subject and want to help? maybe this is because of the nature of the course? im not saying scientists are less compassionate or anything lol
    i spose another thread could work you just have to have an ambassador like "london prophet" to get it going!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Well, I wouldn't mind having a Music thread and sticking all the FAQs from my Wiki page at the start of the thread. Then again, I'm only here for one more year, so if the whole place changed and Spice Girls Studies became a module (for example :ninja: ), I wouldn't know! I'd be happy to do it though, for this year at least

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Oxford
    All undergraduate colleges and departments Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Sep '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.