Turn on thread page Beta

What to buy as a present for a 1 year old? watch

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, wasn't sure where to put this

My friends baby is turning 1 year old in a few weeks
    But I needed some ideas on what to buy her

I didn't want to buy like a teddy because I'm sure she has loads of them

Clothes? - Baby clothes are always good yeh? Since she will be always growing so need more and clean stuff :p:

I would ask my friend is she needs anything - but want to buy her daughter something that will be a surprise

Any suggestions would be great
    Thanks
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Who cares, she'll have forgotten it by the time she's 3 :p: Get her some sort of game that will expand her mind in ways unimaginable to a 1-year-old... like putting shapes into holes of the same shapes, or pressing different buttons that each make their own unique noises, or something else exciting like that. Alternatively, clothes are always a safe bet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    Who cares, she'll have forgotten it by the time she's 3 :p: Get her some sort of game that will expand her mind in ways unimaginable to a 1-year-old... like putting shapes into holes of the same shapes, or pressing different buttons that each make their own unique noises, or something else exciting like that. Alternatively, clothes are always a safe bet.
    I know she won't remember but her mum and dad will and I want to show them I care and put a good bit of time into her present :p:

Also, this:
    http://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/stor...atalogId=11051

Was in the 1-2 year section but says on it "Suitable from 3 years"
    Will she die if I get it for her? Or would it be alright?

I don't want to be responsible for electrocuting someones else baby

ReputationRep:
    Some sort of cuddly toy device thingy

ReputationRep:
    something from in the night garden, one year old love it and there a huge variety!!

ReputationRep:
    There's this totally amazing colouring in thing in argos, I bought it for my mate for her (19th) birthday. It's a dora the explorer thing, and you get a massive mat, and these colouring pads that only work on the mat, and its washable etc, and doesn't get on the carpet.

Buy it!!!

ReputationRep:
    What about something like a little bracelet which she can keep for when shes older?
    Id have loved it now if id had a little bangle or something that id been given on my first birthday

ReputationRep:
    A bright cardboard book is always an idea... or maybe one of the ones with different materials and textures in it. It's never too early to start to read :yep:

Clothes are always a good bet. A clever thing to do is to buy them for a 1 and a half year old, as the baby may well get a lot of clothes that only fit now, but will be no good in a few months.

If you head into the Early Learning Centre you will be able to pick up something educational, age-appropriate and not too expensive. Happy shopping!!

(A little something for mum may not go amiss :p:)

ReputationRep:
    If you buy something cheap, you could get an ELC gift card aswel, then the parents can spend it on something they need.

ReputationRep:
    Early Learning Centre's got loads of good stuff, or I sent my little sister a cool shape-sorting octopus thing from Boots - they like textures and sounds and stuff at that age!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoPurposeTortoise)
    A bright cardboard book is always an idea... or maybe one of the ones with different materials and textures in it. It's never too early to start to read :yep:

Clothes are always a good bet. A clever thing to do is to buy them for a 1 and a half year old, as the baby may well get a lot of clothes that only fit now, but will be no good in a few months.

If you head into the Early Learning Centre you will be able to pick up something educational, age-appropriate and not too expensive. Happy shopping!!

(A little something for mum may not go amiss :p:)
    I LOVE the Early Learning Centre, it's like paradise!

OP, my best friend's nephew is around that age, and all his presents come from Wilkinsons :p: They have a load of different stuff and it's fairly cheap. But I'd definitely go to the ELC, you'll have a good time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoPurposeTortoise)
    A bright cardboard book is always an idea
    Haha I thought this said a bright cardboard box :redface: nice and cheap :P

ReputationRep:
    One of these

or blue if it's a boy

I got one for my son for his first birthday and he loved it, and still uses it often.

They're on offer at Argos at the moment - £11.99 reduced from £16.59 :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NinjaBread)
    I know she won't remember but her mum and dad will and I want to show them I care and put a good bit of time into her present :p:

Also, this:
    http://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/stor...atalogId=11051

Was in the 1-2 year section but says on it "Suitable from 3 years"
    Will she die if I get it for her? Or would it be alright?

I don't want to be responsible for electrocuting someones else baby
    lol you won't electrocute the baby, but the thing is with those bears (I know, my kids have got them) is that sometimes the fluff tends to shed a bit, which is probably why it says from 3+

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    lol you won't electrocute the baby, but the thing is with those bears (I know, my kids have got them) is that sometimes the fluff tends to shed a bit, which is probably why it says from 3+
    ahh ok don't want her eating fluff :p:
    thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    One of these

or blue if it's a boy

I got one for my son for his first birthday and he loved it, and still uses it often.

They're on offer at Argos at the moment - £11.99 reduced from £16.59 :yes:
    My baby cousin had one of those and loved it!! He's 3 now, and pretty much grown out of it, he was gutted lol. He had so much fun with it though, a great buy!

And OP, clothes are always good...another thing my little cousin had quite young and still loves is this water mat thing with an electric train (this is a Thomas the Tank Engine one but they come in all sorts) the mat is dry and goes on the floor, then you fill the pens with water and draw a line on the mat, it can be as random and squiggly as you want, and then put the train or whatever on the line and it follows the line. He spent (and still spends) HOURS playing with it, it's by far his favourite toy and wasn't at all expensive apparently, much cheaper than you expect considering what it does! (the mat dries out naturally, ready for next play!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoveBites)
    Haha I thought this said a bright cardboard box :redface: nice and cheap :P
    This is so true!! When I was little I always preferred the boxes to the gifts inside them :p:

I have a 5 year old brother, and a while back I made him a little house out of a cardboard box, with a proper roof and a door and everything. I had as much fun making it as he had playing with it I love having a little bro.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    I LOVE the Early Learning Centre, it's like paradise!

But I'd definitely go to the ELC, you'll have a good time
    This is too true I always enjoy shopping for little ones.

ReputationRep:
    Box of **** and a bottle of lager, start 'em young

Poll
If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.