Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've recently started going on 1.6 mile runs every morning before I go to work, but my mother (in all her knowledge, having not run anywhere in the entire seventeen years I've known her) says it would be a good idea to have a 'rest day' once a week, and get an extra hour in bed. Good idea? Or will it mess up my exercise ability? I am DESPERATE for more toned (erm, by which I mean thinner) legs you see :redface:.

ReputationRep:
    if your only doing 1.6miles then there is no need for a rest day once a week, maybe every 2 or 3 weeks though. If you up the distance or the intensity a rest once a week wouldn't hurt. Your body will be used to your standard workout by now so it won't make much difference in terms of fitness or weight loss.

ReputationRep:
    I reckon it'd be more productive if you upped the distance a little as you progress, and run perhaps 5 days a week instead of 7.

ReputationRep:
    Shes right! You should have at least one rest day a week...its suprising but you will actually benefit from it...it gives you muscles a break and a time to repair itself.
    I run daily too! : )

Much more than 1.6miles... i tend to do 6 to 8 miles.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with ChaoticMaster especially. Up the distance quite a bit and then think about one or two rest days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prettylittlerichgirl)
    I've recently started going on 1.6 mile runs every morning before I go to work, but my mother (in all her knowledge, having not run anywhere in the entire seventeen years I've known her) says it would be a good idea to have a 'rest day' once a week, and get an extra hour in bed. Good idea? Or will it mess up my exercise ability? I am DESPERATE for more toned (erm, by which I mean thinner) legs you see :redface:.

Yeah a rest day is probably good. I run about 70 miles a week on average, and still make sure I have a rest day.

Deffinatly running is a much more 'active' way to lose weight than just dieting alone, but you should aim to do about 40 mins a day if you want to lose weight.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your advice I can't fit much more into my morning routine than the distance I do because otherwise I would either have to go to bed at about 8pm in order to not be yawning all day at work, but I might start running in the evenings as well just to get the extra distance? Only problem at the moment is the mornings are always sunny, and the evenings are always throwing down with rain.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your advice I can't fit much more into my morning routine than the distance I do because otherwise I would either have to go to bed at about 8pm in order to not be yawning all day at work, but I might start running in the evenings as well just to get the extra distance? Only problem at the moment is the mornings are always sunny, and the evenings are always throwing down with rain.
    you can run faster. that way you will go further in a same time frame. Or you could start doing HIIT (high intensity interval training). that way you can do a killer workout in 20 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticMaster)
    you can run faster. that way you will go further in a same time frame. Or you could start doing HIIT (high intensity interval training). that way you can do a killer workout in 20 minutes.
    How does HIIT work?

ReputationRep:
    How does HIIT work?
    Stands for High-Intensity Interval Training
    basically you absolutly sprint for say 20 seconds and then jog for 40 and then sprint and jog etc. for like 20 sets.

If you are doing it properly you probably couldnt do it every day. It is definitly the kind of thing to throw in once a week if you want to see fitness gains.

As people have suggested you really need to do longer distances unless you are running really fast. I think it might be worth going for a run in the evening and having a rest day the rest day after twice a week?

ReputationRep:
    How does HIIT work?
    You would start with a 2 minute warm up and standard jogging pace the for the following 15 to 20 minutes you would sprint for 30 seconds then a slow jog for 30 seconds alternately until the time is up. This is best down on alternate days. For more information follow the link.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...2&postcount=11

Sorry for the slow reply, I've been busy.

ReputationRep:
    Instead of running how about you cycle or swim. You generally get the same benefits (I think) plus you don't damage your bones as much because when you swim there is resistance so you work harder but there is a smaller impact on the muscles and bones in terms of damage. When you cycle your not pounding away at the pavement which in the long term can cause 'shin splints' which are little cracks in the bone, the only way to get rid of them is to rest for a few weeks I believe depending on how bad they are.

Whatever you decide to do though you must have a rest day to prevent injuries from wear and tear.

In order to remove any lactic acid that you may have you should have a really cold bath or shower when you get back, the first time I had one it was hell but after 4 or 5 you start to get used to it and they're enjoyable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticMaster)
    You would start with a 2 minute warm up and standard jogging pace the for the following 15 to 20 minutes you would sprint for 30 seconds then a slow jog for 30 seconds alternately until the time is up. This is best down on alternate days. For more information follow the link.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...2&postcount=11

Sorry for the slow reply, I've been busy.
    I'd go with that advice if i were you.

I wouldn't just start cycling or swimming they aren't the same... If you find you have bad tendons then they might be a good substitute

You should never train 7 days a week. Your body can only improve when your resting. Theres no point sleeping less and running more either because you need to sleep properly to make running beneficial.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flight409)
    Yeah a rest day is probably good. I run about 70 miles a week on average, and still make sure I have a rest day.

Deffinatly running is a much more 'active' way to lose weight than just dieting alone, but you should aim to do about 40 mins a day if you want to lose weight.
    You're in Leeds. Where do you run?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomasmc135)
    Instead of running how about you cycle or swim. You generally get the same benefits (I think) plus you don't damage your bones as much because when you swim there is resistance so you work harder but there is a smaller impact on the muscles and bones in terms of damage. When you cycle your not pounding away at the pavement which in the long term can cause 'shin splints' which are little cracks in the bone, the only way to get rid of them is to rest for a few weeks I believe depending on how bad they are.

Whatever you decide to do though you must have a rest day to prevent injuries from wear and tear.

In order to remove any lactic acid that you may have you should have a really cold bath or shower when you get back, the first time I had one it was hell but after 4 or 5 you start to get used to it and they're enjoyable.
    Please disregard everything in this post, for your own sake.

ReputationRep:
    harsh gypsy king.

high impact activities (e.g. running) have been proven to increase bone density and so would decrease the chance of getting osteoporosis in old age. so it is particularly good for girls / young women to do running since a lot of elderly women get osteoporosis and end up dying of tibial / femur fractures and more high impact activity when they are younger would prevent this.

also, shin splints = delayed muscle soreness (it is not actually a shin fracture)

the rest day info and the x-training (cycling / swimming) i'd go with, that's very good advice. i also believe there is a pretty firm scientific basis behind cold showers after exercise. worth trying if you like that sort of thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revenged)
    high impact activities (e.g. running) have been proven to increase bone density and so would decrease the chance of getting osteoporosis in old age. so it is particularly good for girls / young women to do running since a lot of elderly women get osteoporosis and end up dying of tibial / femur fractures and more high impact activity when they are younger would prevent this.
    To see the benefit of increased bone density in old age you need to continue that activity, into old age. Doing running in your teens is going to do little if anything for you decades down the line.

also, shin splints = delayed muscle soreness (it is not actually a shin fracture)
    Ok shin splints are a term given to any pain in the front of your leg, but the main causes which won't simply go away with time are overuse and compartment syndrome.

the rest day info and the x-training (cycling / swimming) i'd go with, that's very good advice.
    Tom didn't propose cross training, he proposed giving up running completely.

i also believe there is a pretty firm scientific basis behind cold showers after exercise. worth trying if you like that sort of thing.
    Contrasting showers yes, just cold showers, no.

Cold water stimulates vasoconstriction, this reduces blood flow to muscle and inhibits healing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    To see the benefit of increased bone density in old age you need to continue that activity, into old age. Doing running in your teens is going to do little if anything for you decades down the line.
    osteoporosis is a bone density 2.5 standard deviations below the average peak bone density. so anything that increases bone density (even in your twenties) will provide you with a greater reserve for old age.

Slightly off topic but does the same apply to long walks? Do you need to take days off from walks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gypsy King)
    You're in Leeds. Where do you run?
    I live in roundhay, but i run for leeds at southleeds stadium.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.