Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've jsut finished college and taking a gap year, with the intention of applying for uni this year for 2010 entry.

I'm just having a mild panic attack that what I'm doing in my gap year is enough to justify it.

My plans:

I've been really stressed out with college and home this past year so part of it was just to chill out and clear my head, doing nothing hard core. So...

August until Feb working. Also taking a French course at an Adult learning centre, along with a sign language course. Some other things I've also been wanting to always get up and do is some volunteering, and some sport. Main purpose of this time though is raising funds via working and fundraising for...

Raleigh International: 2 and a half month trip to Borneo (£3000), taking my up till the middle of April.

POSSIBLY depending on my confidence about it, if I've organised it, and funds, travel SE Asia for a while (no time scale, but I'd say 2/3 months tops). Though let's hypothetically speak as though this won't happen (as tbh, the prospect of travelling alone scares me, and I'm not sure if I'm courageous just yet to take the plunge...several other reservations too...)

So, does this seem like a fair enough plan?? See, I'm still really unsure about what I want to do at Uni, and about the current gap year plans, so I've started to apply and consider YINI (Year In Industry). It's late in the day of course, but I gave them a rang yesterday and they did in fact say it's worth applying.

Well, any and all advice appreciated....my head's all over the place at the minute :o:

ReputationRep:
    Southeast Asia?

Original.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds good to me
    I'm gonna take a gap year in 2011, so I've got a while to plan but I need to get my act together :P

ReputationRep:
    Sounds fine by me.

My plans are far more sketchy, and mostly consist of me eating beans on toast and watching Louis Theroux documentaries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eric Arthur)
    Southeast Asia?

Original.
    I asked for advice, not pointless criticism (I wouldn't have minded if it was constructive but it just clearly wasn't).

SE Asia makes sense. I'm going ot Borneo (Malaysia), so, the region is just on its doorstep, cutting out the cost of a flight to elsewhere. Futhermore, people you meet on Raleigh often want to travel around afterwards and the most likely place others will want to do this is around Malaysia, thus for the sake of having travel buddies (which I'd rather have then not have), SE Asia again makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    Go somewhere other than Borneo in the first place. You sound like any other identikit gap yearer.

ReputationRep:
    sounds good. im on a gap year atm- same as you i worked for a while and took some courses, then did 6 month volunteer/work placement in new zealand (over in 3 weeks )

go for it!

ReputationRep:
    Go somewhere other than Borneo in the first place. You sound like any other identikit gap yearer.
    I want to go Borneo, and as - supposedly -unoriginal SE Asia is, it'll be new for me, and it looks like an excellent place to travel to anyway, so why not?

Well, thanks for your advice, but I suppose no thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kate_187)
    sounds good. im on a gap year atm- same as you i worked for a while and took some courses, then did 6 month volunteer/work placement in new zealand (over in 3 weeks )

go for it!
    Have you found that you've gotten out of your gap year what you wanted? And did you find the courses productive? Just the prospect of the next 6 months not really doing much makes me anxious that it's not worth it D:

And thanks for the reply =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allieRAWR!)
    Have you found that you've gotten out of your gap year what you wanted? And did you find the courses productive? Just the prospect of the next 6 months not really doing much makes me anxious that it's not worth it D:

And thanks for the reply =)
    no worries

gap year has been awesome, not exactly what i thought it'd be but thats not a bad thing! parts have been hard but overall ive grown so much as a person, in confidence, looking after myself etc.

i did a first aid course, which has come in so handy over here cos i work in a primary school! ive plastered so many knees lmao.

i reckon its worth it, if you get a job or sumamt for first 6 months then its not wasted cos you can save up, get work experience etc.

and borneo sounds cool :P

ReputationRep:
    Southeast Asia?

Original.
    lulz

I think you should buy a motorbike and travel through central asia, all the ...stans - head up to mount kylash if you get the chance.

ReputationRep:
    SE Asia is amazing, maybe just skip Borneo & just spend the £3000 traveling!

ReputationRep:
    Southeast Asia?

Original.
    I suppose she should trek to the north pole instead? Would you be impressed then :laugh:

Uhm OP I'd forget the trip with RI and organise something yourself for 1/3rd the cost...

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.