Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Recently i heard from a friend that he had hired a grad student from ucl to write his personal statement for about £20/hr

i was didnt say anything to him but i feel that this kinda makes it harder for normal people who write their OWN personal statement to get an offer from uni.
    These "Professionals" don't just give you advice on ur P.S. lk here but they actually write it out for you

I don't mean to rant but when i heard this i thought: well thats my chance of getting into uni down the drain

ReputationRep:
    Just ask your dad

ReputationRep:
    Why? It's really not hard

ReputationRep:
    No it isn't. Just because a 'professional' has written someone's personal statement doesn't mean it's a good one. I can't imagine a third-party written P.S to be anything other than generic.

Having a pro write a statement doesn't mean that it will be better than something that you write yourself. Draft something out then get free advice on here. Make a couple of amendments and you'll be sorted.

Don't worry about what others do - that person will probably pay someone to write their essays too. They'll end up poor as well as stupid.

ReputationRep:
    if they find out they will decline your application

just do it yourself it really isnt hard, your college will tell you what to write and show you some examples, but dont get sum1 else to write it for you

ReputationRep:
    Um, a third year uni student is hardly a 'professional personal statement writer'! Not that I'm saying it justifies him/her writing it for your friend, but I doubt the personal statement produced was of a higher standard than what he could have written himself. Sounds like the student saw a way of making some easy booze money if you ask me. Your friend's an idiot.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by Krazy123)
    Recently i heard from a friend that he had hired a grad student from ucl to write his personal statement for about £20/hr

i was didnt say anything to him but i feel that this kinda makes it harder for normal people who write their OWN personal statement to get an offer from uni.
    These "Professionals" don't just give you advice on ur P.S. lk here but they actually write it out for you

I don't mean to rant but when i heard this i thought: well thats my chance of getting into uni down the drain
    Your chances of getting into uni down the drain? I think you're being a bit melodramatic. Yes, a very small minority of people get other people to write their personal statements and, although they might be written in more sophisticated prose, they actually have a lot of disadvantages. For example, if you get someone else to write a personal statement and there's not a lot of two-way communication about the process, chances are that the statement won't be very personal at all, and as such it's unlikely to stand up in an interview. Also, as I said, it is a very small minority of people who are lazy enough to do this, so you really are overreacting.

ReputationRep:
    its called personal for a reason

if you get called for a interview, they look at you ps, and ask questions

ReputationRep:
    It takes the 'personal' out of 'personal statement'. Therefore, it's just a statement.

ReputationRep:
    Just do it yourself, it isn't that hard.

ReputationRep:
    I'd hate to do that. Someone writes it for you, doubt they will write it better than you could. You know how you want it to look and sound, not them.
    Only took me about 2 hours to write my first draft so hardly time consuming.

ReputationRep:
    As a lot of people have already said, having a 'proffesional' write your Personal statement therefore just makes it a statement.
    You'd be far better off if you wrote it yourself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anandv05)

just do it yourself it really isnt hard, your college will tell you what to write and show you some examples, but dont get sum1 else to write it for you

source?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LauraEmma)
    As a lot of people have already said, having a 'proffesional' write your Personal statement therefore just makes it a statement.
    You'd be far better off if you wrote it yourself
    With spelling like that I disagree!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.