Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Please tell me I haven't got it completely wrong???????? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey all just need a bit of advice regarding A-Levels.

I’m thinking of taking three or four more AS’s at college (I already have places at several local colleges) as I don’t think I have done very well in my current A-levels. After leaving college a few weeks ago I’ve been having a good old think about my education and after a few calculations I reckon the highest I’ve achieved is BBC/BCC at the most.
    I know that these are reasonably good grades however I have my sites set on universities that are requesting ABB/ABC. As re-sits are completely out of the question my plan is to do a few more AS’s only at a local college achieving as many high A’s and B’s as possible and then to apply for uni for Sept 2010.
    However after talking to a friend of mine about this plan he told me that universities may not accept this as I already have three A- Levels and that taking additional A-levels should only be done if one doesn’t have three full levels to apply for uni. But now I’m really totally confused because I was told that universities see 2 AS’s as 1 full a-level in the application process - so my original thinking was that if I say achieved like four A’s in my AS’s then that would be seen as 2 A’s this combined with my three a -levels would be seen as AABCC/AABBC. OR have I just had a complete blonde moment and got it completely and embarrassingly wrong? Lol

Anyway sorry for the long essay and thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Why are re-sits out of the question?
    Some unis accept 2 AS Levels in place of one A2 Level, but you would have to check with the specific unis you're applying to, particularly if you already have 3 A Levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxAFFxx)
    Hey all just need a bit of advice regarding A-Levels.

I’m thinking of taking three or four more AS’s at college (I already have places at several local colleges) as I don’t think I have done very well in my current A-levels. After leaving college a few weeks ago I’ve been having a good old think about my education and after a few calculations I reckon the highest I’ve achieved is BBC/BCC at the most.
    I know that these are reasonably good grades however I have my sites set on universities that are requesting ABB/ABC. As re-sits are completely out of the question my plan is to do a few more AS’s only at a local college achieving as many high A’s and B’s as possible and then to apply for uni for Sept 2010.
    However after talking to a friend of mine about this plan he told me that universities may not accept this as I already have three A- Levels and that taking additional A-levels should only be done if one doesn’t have three full levels to apply for uni. But now I’m really totally confused because I was told that universities see 2 AS’s as 1 full a-level in the application process - so my original thinking was that if I say achieved like four A’s in my AS’s then that would be seen as 2 A’s this combined with my three a -levels would be seen as AABCC/AABBC. OR have I just had a complete blonde moment and got it completely and embarrassingly wrong? Lol

Anyway sorry for the long essay and thanks in advance.
    First
    Absolute b*******. Universities do not view 2 AS's as 1 A-level.

Second.
    Why is taking resits out of the question? I got BBBD in my AS year and bumped it up to AAB in January, alot of people do significantly better in resits than in AS due to the kick in the teeth they recieve when they don;t get their desired results. I'm holding a place at Bristol provided I get ABB
    Also starting A levels from the beginning again will raise eyebrows and universities would like to know what happend (were there any unusual circumstances?)
    Also you could just apply next year with your grades in hand.

BTW I assume you meant
    achieving as many high A’s and B’s as possible and then to apply for uni for Sept 2011.

EIDT: Sorry, I couldn't tell from your post if you were just finishing A2 or AS. If you've just finished A2 then I'd recommend reapplying as more often than not extra A levels, especially extra AS levels, make little difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    First
    Are you sure about this? because my teacher told me they do

(Original post by Zorg)
    Second.
    Why is taking resits out of the question? .
    Re-sits are not possibility for me - its too long to say why they just aren't an option for me

(Original post by Zorg)
    Also starting A levels from the beginning again will raise eyebrows and universities would like to know what happend (were there any unusual circumstances?)
    technically i won't be starting A-levels from scratch, i'll just be adding more AS's to my current A-Levels lol

(Original post by Zorg)
    BTW I assume you meant
    EIDT: Sorry, I couldn't tell from your post if you were just finishing A2 or AS. If you've just finished A2 then I'd recommend reapplying as more often than not extra A levels, especially extra AS levels, make little difference.
    No i did mean Sept 2010 as i would be applying through my college which i start in Sept and then i would apply for uni in Jan 2010. Whats the problem?
    and yes i've finished A2

Thanks for your time and advice

ReputationRep:
    why don't you just wait , and see what grades you get in August. Wouldn't you be creating extra stress by taking extra AS's?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessyfantastic90)
    why don't you just wait , and see what grades you get in August. Wouldn't you be creating extra stress by taking extra AS's?
    The most logical thing I've seen all night.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxAFFxx)
    Are you sure about this? because my teacher told me they do
    Yup, I'm sure. Else why wouldn;t people just take 6 AS and apply for the next year? I think your teacher may have meant that some Universities accept 2 AS levels instead of 1 full A Level, however this still requires you to provide 2 more A Levels.

Re-sits are not possibility for me - its too long to say why they just aren't an option for me
    Sorry if I'm prying, but I don't see how they aren't a possibility when you're willing to do an extra year for some more AS levels

No i did mean Sept 2010 as i would be applying through my college which i start in Sept and then i would apply for uni in Jan 2010. Whats the problem?
    and yes i've finished A2
    The problem would be you're applying with lower graded A levels in the subjects specified and you aren't improving them, essentially you'd be sending them the same application. You'd be better set to resit and improve your grades than do more AS Levels.

Out of interest what course are you looking at and which Universities?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessyfantastic90)
    I know in a roundabout way that i haven't acheived the grades i want so i'm just trying to make some plans now so that when August comes it won't be a slap in the face for me that I haven't got a back up plan.
    All i want to know is wheather its possible to "add" an extra few AS's to my current three A-Levels and to apply to uni

ReputationRep:
    You'd be better off doing one or two A levels in one year instead of two rather than 3/4 AS levels. I don't understand why you can do additional AS levels but not resits, though. Last A2 resits under the old spec are in Jan I think (resit in Jan and then work/go travelling until uni?)

ReputationRep:
    Just do resits in January and apply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xSkyFire)
    Just do resits in January and apply.
    agreed

ReputationRep:
    So have you had problems with the college you've just left that make you not want to/not able to go back there? If so, you could look into resitting as an independent candidate if you can't find another college which uses the same exam boards. Resits would be of more use than extra AS levels.

Alternatively, you could email the admissions departments of the unis you want to apply to and ask them if they'd consider you with BBCaaaa. (As ASs are easier than A2s, it wouldn't make sense for them all to consider two ASs on the same level as one full A level although the number of UCAS points is the same.) If they say no, you could either apply to unis with lower requirements (perhaps go through clearing and start this year if you've already been through UCAS this year) or reconsider resits.

ReputationRep:
    If you really haven't done as well as you think you have, just do the resits in January and see what you come out with that time. I'm thinking of going back to college for a year if I haven't done well enough, but only to have something to do for the year and take a couple of subjects that I'm interested in that I couldn't fit in before.

Oh, and some universities DO consider two AS levels in lieu of a full A level, but not a lot of them, and not the top unis you're aiming for, for the most part.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)

Oh, and some universities DO consider two AS levels in lieu of a full A level, but not a lot of them, and not the top unis you're aiming for, for the most part.
    And also most of those universities only allow one of the three grades to be that way, meaning you would still need two full A levels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Montarnna)
    And also most of those universities only allow one of the three grades to be that way, meaning you would still need two full A levels
    Definitely. Don't think that taking 6 AS levels will do the trick as 3 A levels.

ReputationRep:
    Okay so you are an A2 student and are quite certain you will get say BBC at the most, and want to do 4 AS's in what would be your third year. Then you want to apply for ABB/ABC standard uni.

Well a lot of unis do accept 2 AS's counting as one alevel, but normally they only allow that to happen for one alevel, so doing 4 AS's will not be regarded as 2 Alevels by most unis.
    I think its best if you do 2 full alevels in your 3rd year. (Do the the AS's in january and A2 modules in June). That is what I'm planning to do if I dont get the grades I need.
    Or you could do 2 AS levels and one Alevel.

Also how come resits are out of the options? Even though you are on the old specs for alevels you can still resit A2 modules in January 2010 for the last time. So what you could do is do a combination of a new alevel and resits. Say you resit 3 exams in january and then study an alevel along the way and aim for
    ABB - thats your previous grades improved from doing resits
    and an extra A from doing an Alevel giving you, AABB.

ReputationRep:
    The plan is silly.

Just resit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allieRAWR!)
    The plan is silly.

Just resit.
    Somestimes doing just resits isnt a viable option on its own - what if the OP did quite rubbish in her AS modules and did good in her A2 modules. And considering she is most likely on the old spec, the last chance she has resiting any modules is in Jan 2010 and its only A2 resits, which wont be much use if she is concerned about her AS modules not her A2 modules.

This is rather annoying for some old spec candidates (like me) who can't resit AS exams anymore when they are sometimes much easier to revise for..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    How come my firm for uni is asking for ABbb then?

Some universities do accept 2 AS Level in place of 1 A Level. But they would not consider 4AS Levels in place of 2 A Levels - unless they accept UCAS points because they can come from everywhere.

Also, if a university does accept 2 AS in place of 1 A Level, it usually has to be in the same sitting with your other A Levels - so you would in effect be doing the same amount of modules as a normal applicant.

I think it would be a much better idea to do 2 A Levels in 1 year. Just try and make sure you are sitting the same or more amount of modules as other candidates. E.g. if you did 2 AS+A2Levels in one year, that would be 8 modules on new specifications, whereas most other candidates will be sitting only 6 modules but over 3 A2 Levels. I hope this is making sense :shifty:

Start emailing some admissions tutors for the unis you're interested in to see whether they will accept your circumstances. I was told by UCL, KCL and Nottingham that they wouldn't accept 2AS in place of 1A Level. But I applied to Nottingham anyway and got an offer of ABab

Also, you might have done alright in your exams, so just sit tight.

ReputationRep:
    I think usually they are only interested in subjects you have completed at alevel, the high entry universities will be at any rate, perhaps see if they take general studies my offer is AAB and they accept it. That way you could do all 6 modules in a year and have a full alevel plus a shot at an A..?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.