Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Please tell me I haven't got it completely wrong???????? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jabed786)
    Somestimes doing just resits isnt a viable option on its own - what if the OP did quite rubbish in her AS modules and did good in her A2 modules. And considering she is most likely on the old spec, the last chance she has resiting any modules is in Jan 2010 and its only A2 resits, which wont be much use if she is concerned about her AS modules not her A2 modules.

This is rather annoying for some old spec candidates (like me) who can't resit AS exams anymore when they are sometimes much easier to revise for..
    Got it one lol. this is exactly the problem - i did quite bad in my AS's and so even if i did quite good in my A2's, my AS's will drag the grade down. If i re-sit i will only be moving the mark of the Alevel up and not improving on the grade. For example for History AS i got 158 a "D" and for A2 i think i've done reasonbly well with a "B" - 210. This makes 368 a "B" so even if i do resit the A2's and get full marks at 300 grade "A" this combined by 158 will only improve the marck up to 458 still a "B"

ReputationRep:
    Somestimes doing just resits isnt a viable option on its own - what if the OP did quite rubbish in her AS modules and did good in her A2 modules. And considering she is most likely on the old spec, the last chance she has resiting any modules is in Jan 2010 and its only A2 resits, which wont be much use if she is concerned about her AS modules not her A2 modules.

This is rather annoying for some old spec candidates (like me) who can't resit AS exams anymore when they are sometimes much easier to revise for..
    Ah, that is true, I didn't consider that possibility. Hopefully the situation of OP isn't that unfortunate (and, ah, I think that's just terrible luck with your circumstance....I hope you manage to sort something out)

ReputationRep:
    Okay so you are an A2 student and are quite certain you will get say BBC at the most, and want to do 4 AS's in what would be your third year. Then you want to apply for ABB/ABC standard uni.

Well a lot of unis do accept 2 AS's counting as one alevel, but normally they only allow that to happen for one alevel, so doing 4 AS's will not be regarded as 2 Alevels by most unis.
    I think its best if you do 2 full alevels in your 3rd year. (Do the the AS's in january and A2 modules in June). That is what I'm planning to do if I dont get the grades I need.
    Or you could do 2 AS levels and one Alevel.

Also how come resits are out of the options? Even though you are on the old specs for alevels you can still resit A2 modules in January 2010 for the last time. So what you could do is do a combination of a new alevel and resits. Say you resit 3 exams in january and then study an alevel along the way and aim for
    ABB - thats your previous grades improved from doing resits
    and an extra A from doing an Alevel giving you, AABB.
    :yes: Agreed. My local college does full A levels in a year in subjects like English. I reckon a couple of them would hold much better with top unis than 4 AS levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxAFFxx)
    Got it one lol. this is exactly the problem - i did quite bad in my AS's and so even if i did quite good in my A2's, my AS's will drag the grade down. If i re-sit i will only be moving the mark of the Alevel up and not improving on the grade. For example for History AS i got 158 a "D" and for A2 i think i've done reasonbly well with a "B" - 210. This makes 368 a "B" so even if i do resit the A2's and get full marks at 300 grade "A" this combined by 158 will only improve the marck up to 458 still a "B"
    I thought this could be the case since you were willing to do 4 AS levels when there was an oppurtunity to resit. And OP, I know how frustrating it is not to be able to resit AS exams. I did a lot better in my A2's as I worked much harder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by francesca_20)
    :yes: Agreed. My local college does full A levels in a year in subjects like English. I reckon a couple of them would hold much better with top unis than 4 AS levels.
    I wish my college offered 'alevels in a year'. They dont so I'm going to self study alevels if I have to reapply for uni. Its going to be so hard work.

ReputationRep:
    I wish my college offered 'alevels in a year'. They dont so I'm going to self study alevels if I have to reapply for uni. Its going to be so hard work.
    Hey a quick question if i decide to re-sit in January and June ( as Ancient History re-sits can only be done in June as opposed to my Literature and History which can be retaken in Jan) and apply for uni in jan what grades do i write on the UCAS Application?
    Do i leave it blank or do i tell them im resiting and don't have the grades yet or do i write the grades which i will recieve in August?
    Thanks xxx

ReputationRep:
    Hey a quick question if i decide to re-sit in January and June ( as Ancient History re-sits can only be done in June as opposed to my Literature and History which can be retaken in Jan) and apply for uni in jan what grades do i write on the UCAS Application?
    Do i leave it blank or do i tell them im resiting and don't have the grades yet or do i write the grades which i will recieve in August?
    Thanks xxx
    Well if you were just doing resits and were applying in for 2010 entry then
    you would have - this is an example:

Literature = Grade C
    Ancient History = Grade Pending
    History = Grade Pending

There is no need to enter any module UMS marks, thats optional.

lthe example above implies you are you are resiting because you left Ancient History and History as pending because you havent got the grades yet. And if you arent resiting then you enter the grade.

The unis will know you are resiting because they would know that you started the alevels in 2007 and its taking you 3 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xmarilynx)
    Thanks for the advice
    (Original post by zorg)
    Thanks for the advice
    (Original post by jessyfantastic90)
    Thanks for the advice
    (Original post by jayayy)
    Thanks for the advice
    (Original post by siimon12345)
    Thanks for the advice
    (Original post by xskyire)
    Thanks for the advice
    (Original post by meliae)
    Thanks for the advice
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    Thanks for the advice
    (Original post by montarnna)
    Thanks for the advice
    Thanks for the advice
    (Original post by allierawr)
    Thanks for the advice
    (Original post by castelbajac)
    Thanks for the advice
    (Original post by hollie2011)
    Thanks for the advice
    (Original post by francesca_20)
    Thanks for the advice
    Hey all just wanted to say thanks for taking time out and giving me advice.
    I've read and considered everything that was pointed out to me and have now decided to wait and see what grades i get in August and depending on what grades and marks i get i will resit in Jan and June. However if its not possible to re-sit as i already pointed out to Jabed786

"i did quite bad in my AS's and so even if i did quite good in my A2's, my AS's will drag the grade down. If i re-sit i will only be moving the mark of the Alevel up and not improving on the grade. For example for History AS i got 158 a "D" and for A2 i think i've done reasonbly well with a "B" - 210. This makes 368 a "B" so even if i do resit the A2's and get full marks at 300 grade "A" this combined by 158 will only improve the marck up to 458 still a "B" "

then i've opted to do an intensive one year course in two A-levels.
    Just thought you'd all like to know lol Thanks once again.

ReputationRep:
    I've read and considered everything that was pointed out to me and have now decided to wait and see what grades i get in August and depending on what grades and marks i get i will resit in Jan and June. However if its not possible to re-sit as i already pointed out to Jabed786

"i did quite bad in my AS's and so even if i did quite good in my A2's, my AS's will drag the grade down. If i re-sit i will only be moving the mark of the Alevel up and not improving on the grade. For example for History AS i got 158 a "D" and for A2 i think i've done reasonbly well with a "B" - 210. This makes 368 a "B" so even if i do resit the A2's and get full marks at 300 grade "A" this combined by 158 will only improve the marck up to 458 still a "B" "

You need to be reminded that if you're on the old spec, you CAN'T resit in June - there are no papers being written for then. January is your last chance. Good luck, though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    You need to be reminded that if you're on the old spec, you CAN'T resit in June - there are no papers being written for then. January is your last chance. Good luck, though
    oh lol i forgot to say the with Ancient Hisotry examinations are only in June not Jan but thanks anyhoo.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, first of all, not all universities regard 2 AS subjects as a whole A level.
    Some will, for some subjects, but this is generally the kind of university that offer BCC, so you don't want that anyway.

Do the resits in January.
    Make sure your predicted grades are high enough, and hope you get an excellent reference.

Meanwhile, take either 1 or 2 AS subjects, or fasttrack an A level, preferably a relevant one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Castelbajac)
    How come my firm for uni is asking for ABbb then?
    Had you read my other post you would understand that I explained a University will accept 2 AS levels in place of one A level, but you are still required to do 2 full A Levels. Otherwise people would turn up with 6 AS levels expecting to go to University before even doing A2.

oh lol i forgot to say the with Ancient Hisotry examinations are only in June not Jan but thanks anyhoo.
    About applying to UCAS with resits; When you applied this year you should have put your A2 grades as pending and then the date (Aug 09), same principles here. Although I recommend putting the grades of the modules you have got and aren't resitting in there so they can tell what sort of grade you're capable of getting.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, talk to your exam board. Old specification won't be having ANY exams in June, so you might not be able to resit Ancient History if that's the case.

ReputationRep:

Good luck. It sounds like you've got a plan here, and should worst come to worst, hopefully the universities will appreciate your circumstance. I'd also add that it might be an idea to have your college write in your reference the problems you've incurred, and the fact you are a competent and capable student (as your new A levels will hopefully show), but simply due to the infortunate circumstance you were placed in, couldn't fully show that on your first round of A Levels. Maybe even something about maturity yadda yadda yadda in your PS would help things

Anyway, you sound like a logical and level headed person, so I'm sure things will turn out well should you persist. Best of luck!

ReputationRep:

Hey just re-read this after Allie's post, 368 UMS is 8 UMS over the C boundary, so not a B grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    Hey just re-read this after Allie's post, 368 UMS is 8 UMS over the C boundary, so not a B grade.
    Yes, I've just noticed that myself. OP would need 262/300 (an A) at A2 to get a B overall, and 202/300 (a B) at A2 to get a C.

If you don't get an A at A2 this year OP, I recommend you retake to try and get that A, so you get a B overall. ...a B in History is a very good grade, and one worth putting in that extra bit of time for.

But in anycase, I would try you best to enjoy whats left of your holidays.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.