Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I an starting a course in Medicine at teh University of Edinburgh in September, however, i am worried that i am actually more interested in economics. I enjoy reading books on economics and particularly follow certain economic ideaologies such as that of Friedman.

Anyway, i wanted to know if you are allowed to apply if you are currently at university. I would be interested in applying for PPE. So if i start university in September, am i allowed to apply to Oxford for PPE?

ReputationRep:
    I think you are allowed as long as you apply for a different subject to the one you are already studying. I too am rather interested in this. So hopefully I will see you in Edinburgh in one year, and at Oxford in two years :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lachlan)
    I think you are allowed as long as you apply for a different subject to the one you are already studying. I too am rather interested in this. So hopefully I will see you in Edinburgh in one year, and at Oxford in two years :p:
    hah. Hopefully...

I dont know, its really uncomfortable discussing it with people in my year, because they're like "your obviously not very committed to medicine".

I really hope you are allowed to do this, but i know for a fact at cambridge you are not. I applied there for medicine but got rejected

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattbroon)
    hah. Hopefully...

I dont know, its really uncomfortable discussing it with people in my year, because they're like "your obviously not very committed to medicine".

I really hope you are allowed to do this, but i know for a fact at cambridge you are not. I applied there for medicine but got rejected
    which is probably quite lucky seeing as you don't want to do it anymore! you'd hate it even more if you were there!

ReputationRep:
    it's not so much a problem if you're applying for a different course- it's moret hat they don't want to have to deal with people trying to trade up from a 'lesser' university for the same/similar course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thomasjtl)
    it's not so much a problem if you're applying for a different course- it's moret hat they don't want to have to deal with people trying to trade up from a 'lesser' university for the same/similar course.
    So its alright for me to apply as a first year medic to PPE at Oxford, and they are unlikely to have a problem with it?

ReputationRep:
    You can apply for the same course if you want to - I know at least one person in my year who did it and got accepted. And there would also be no issue with you applying for ppe either, though you will probably be screwing yourself over with student finance a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Audrey Hepburn)
    You can apply for the same course if you want to - I know at least one person in my year who did it and got accepted. And there would also be no issue with you applying for ppe either, though you will probably be screwing yourself over with student finance a bit.
    Thnaks alot.

I think i will go for it, and hey if i get rejected i haven't lost anything.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    So its alright for me to apply as a first year medic to PPE at Oxford, and they are unlikely to have a problem with it?
    Not if you can convince them that you're applying because you've suddenly discovered your love for philosophy and economics and not because you want to "better yourself", as it were. They'll think of it as just another application from someone who dropped out after one year because he changed his mind about his subject. After all, you're probably planning to drop out and change to an economicsy subject regardless of whether Oxford accepts you or not, right?:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    So I could potentially reapply for History and Economics? I am either doing Economics at Edinburgh or Economics and Economic History at LSE

Failure does not sit easy with me and the rejection from Oxford was hard to take, I would probably apply post-grad anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Not if you can convince them that you're applying because you've suddenly discovered your love for philosophy and economics and not because you want to "better yourself", as it were. They'll think of it as just another application from someone who dropped out after one year because he changed his mind about his subject. After all, you're probably planning to drop out and change to an economicsy subject regardless of whether Oxford accepts you or not, right?:dontknow:
    I would only consider economics if i was at oxbridge or lse.

ReputationRep:
    So I could potentially reapply for History and Economics? I am either doing Economics at Edinburgh or Economics and Economic History at LSE

Failure does not sit easy with me and the rejection from Oxford was hard to take, I would probably apply post-grad anyway.
    Yes, but to be honest LSE is a far better university for economics than Oxford, and I don't really know about Edinburgh but I assume it's none too shabby.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but to be honest LSE is a far better university for economics than Oxford, and I don't really know about Edinburgh but I assume it's none too shabby.
    Yeah but its Oxford, also I am coming to realise LSE is beyond my financial capabilities.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but its Oxford, also I am coming to realise LSE is beyond my financial capabilities.
    Fair play if London is too expensive, but believe me when I say that Oxford is a horrible horrible university to be a student at. This idealistic image that everyone seems to have of it as some sort of lovely academic wonderland is utter crap and applying to Oxford just because of this when there are equally good degrees from other universities, which will probably be a hell of a lot more enjoyable, seems completely insane to me.

...sorry. It's late and I'm drowning in holiday work that I know I won't start properly until October. Sad times :rant:

Fair play if London is too expensive, but believe me when I say that Oxford is a horrible horrible university to be a student at. This idealistic image that everyone seems to have of it as some sort of lovely academic wonderland is utter crap and applying to Oxford just because of this when there are equally good degrees from other universities, which will probably be a hell of a lot more enjoyable, seems completely insane to me.

...sorry. It's late and I'm drowning in holiday work that I know I won't start properly until October. Sad times :rant:
    It gets better. Or at least I think it does.

ReputationRep:
    I an starting a course in Medicine at teh University of Edinburgh in September, however, i am worried that i am actually more interested in economics. I enjoy reading books on economics and particularly follow certain economic ideaologies such as that of Friedman.

Anyway, i wanted to know if you are allowed to apply if you are currently at university. I would be interested in applying for PPE. So if i start university in September, am i allowed to apply to Oxford for PPE?
    Economics at degree level isn't anything like the stuff you find in Capitalism and Freedom, or The Road to Serfdom; it's mostly maths. Most of your time will be spent drawing graphs and doing calculus, not reading people like Friedman and Hayek.

Pretty much everyone I know has a lot of fun, and I seem to have been involved in more debauchery than my friends at other unis. The workload only seems to be excessive if you're a bit thick, or if you're a scientist.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I would only consider economics if i was at oxbridge or lse.
    OK, so this is mainly about perceived prestige, then.

ReputationRep:
    Nonsense :rolleyes:

At undergraduate level, the tri-partite institutions in the subject (i.e. Oxford, LSE and Cambridge) are very much equally regarded in their teaching; it's post-graduate were the differences in fields comes in. For example, LSE is thee place to go for something like eniviromental economics, Oxford for quantitive finance (it was practically created/mastered at Oxford/MIT), and Cambridge for academic research posts et al (although to some degree, the latter is shared by all 3 uni's).

In regards to your comment about Oxford life, both friends from Cambridge and Oxford have said they have very much enjoyed their times at the universities and would never want to go else where; the tutoriols, history, prestigue, traditions et al all remainded. I can say here at LSE there is nothing like that level of personal contact/pride (largely b/c were not campus based I suppose), but I would have loved to also go to Oxbridge given the second chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    OK, so this is mainly about perceived prestige, then.
    Im not going to lie - yes it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alan.Stanford2009)
    Nonsense :rolleyes:

At undergraduate level, the tri-partite institutions in the subject (i.e. Oxford, LSE and Cambridge) are very much equally regarded in their teaching; it's post-graduate were the differences in fields comes in. For example, LSE is thee place to go for something like eniviromental economics, Oxford for quantitive finance (it was practically created/mastered at Oxford/MIT), and Cambridge for academic research posts et al (although to some degree, the latter is shared by all 3 uni's).

In regards to your comment about Oxford life, both friends from Cambridge and Oxford have said they have very much enjoyed their times at the universities and would never want to go else where; the tutoriols, history, prestigue, traditions et al all remainded. I can say here at LSE there is nothing like that level of personal contact/pride (largely b/c were not campus based I suppose), but I would have loved to also go to Oxbridge given the second chance.
    Well all I'm going on for my bases for how good the courses are at each university are people on them, and unfortunately I only know one person at lse (also I know absolutely nothing about cambridge). The economics part of everyone at oxford's courses seem to be a bit less rigorous than that of lse from what I've been told (when comparing what they knew the person at lse seemed to know a hell of a lot more), but as I said this is one person and so obviously cannot be taken as a representation of everyone. I realise that oxford is placed higher in the league tables for economics than lse but I refuse to judge based on this as they also place oxford higher than imperial for physics, something which I know to be an absolute load of crap.

Going back to stuff about oxford life, I'm glad your friends have enjoyed their time but myself and the majority of the people that I hang around with found that the whole 'prestigious' ideal of oxford became somewhat less bright when we found ourselves drowning in work and being metaphorically whipped by numerous tutors who don't register the need for time outside academics in a city with only one halfway decent club. But again, obviously I can't speak for everyone or even most people as I only know a small fraction of the university.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.