The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Where on earth did you get those statistics from?
Reply 21
Feral Beast
LMAO this thread is amazing.

Any decent university will regard communists with disdain, so it would normally depend on which university to go to.

If you casually mention that you are a communist to a couple of people it should be no problem. If you are politically active at university, i.e. you are in the politics society, a political group, debating society etc, and you are given the label of the college communist or campus communist, you can expect at least some contempt from most other politically active students. The fact is, though, that even in the more academic universities, most students are not politically active and would not care either way.

I would advise that you stay in the communist closet either way just to be safe.

I would love to see you at Sussex:smile:
Reply 22
This is TSR, it's full of a bunch of 8 A* GCSE, 4 A A-Level overachievers from middle class backgrounds who would probably commit hari kari if they failed to get into a top 30 uni and had to go a *gulp* ex-poly. I really wouldn't base your views on the political persuasion of the British student community at large upon TSR.

Students are just as left wing as ever, look at all that nonsense in January with them boycotting the Israeli invasion of Gaza, where they seemed to be content to allow a Palestinian terrorist group to murder innocent Israeli civilians but the moment Israel fight back, suddenly they are murderers and evil. Don't worry the left wing still figures strongly in student life.
Reply 23
Personally, politics does not seem to dominate the lives of most college students. Like most things it gives us something to talk about. The thought is scary, I know, because it seems as if we give a high priority to things which aren't as important as who governs the country, but really, I don't think people will so stubborn as to dislike you for your political views.

However if you believe most students are "fervidly right-wing" and if you're really intent in making friends at college, don't let your political views get the better of you. If a debate arises, always be prepared to take other peoples' views into consideration. And, it is likely you will come across somebody who, like you, adheres to their political views strictly. And if so, adopt a more rational approach when explaining your views. It makes life just that much easier.
For God's sake. A year.
bennh
Ohh. This is a joke, right? I kind of half-read it.

I kinda figured this and gave up. If it's not then, well, someone worries far too ******* much. WHY HELLO, EARLY HEART ATTACK, NICE 2 C U 2!!!1
Reply 26
ajp100688

Students are just as left wing as ever, look at all that nonsense in January with them boycotting the Israeli invasion of Gaza, where they seemed to be content to allow a Palestinian terrorist group to murder innocent Israeli civilians but the moment Israel fight back, suddenly they are murderers and evil. Don't worry the left wing still figures strongly in student life.

You, sir, are an ass.

Latest