Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Question Time is going to be heated tonight, with George Galloway! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shuky)
    Sorry but that point is not going to stick. Every/most prominant politicians/leaders have stood for what they believed and are generally good orators.
    Exactly, your logic can be applied to most tyrants in history. Stalin, Hitler: 'prominent, 'stood for what they believed', 'good orators'.

Thus, you can still be a repulsive tyrant, even if you are 'prominent', 'good orator', etc.

(Original post by Shuky)
    again i asked why you disslike him hopefully you can give me an answer this time.
    In my opinion and from various reports, he can be viewed as an alleged: extremist, anti-Semitic, racist (which coincides with anti-Semitism, but I am mainly referring to his treatment of Oona King), terrorist supporter, friend of dictators - this list goes on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jabed786)
    Lol seriously? Atleast with people like Trisha Godard you get an opinion that sounds like a good one.
    Yea he was just a waste of space. When asked about the 1 child policy in china, the best he could come up with was

How are they going to check? do they have bedroom police - that's it, you've had one enough is enough.

It was a funny comment but for question time? nah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadMatt)
    No, that's the opinion of most decent British citizens.
    You speak for all of them, do you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forbidden Fruit)
    You speak for all of them, do you?
    Yes. You'll be hard pressed to find a decent minded British person who votes BNP, unless it's a protest vote. I would vote for a party that proposes to kick out every BNP voter in the country, they can take their vileness elsewhere....Zimbabwe perhaps.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly, your logic can be applied to most tyrants in history. Stalin, Hitler: 'prominent, 'stood for what they believed', 'good orators'.

Thus, you can still be a repulsive tyrant, even if you are 'prominent', 'good orator', etc.

Martin Luther King Jr, Ghandi Malcolm X, Obama. They have/had all those traits so my friend "your" logic can be applied to people whom the world holds most dere. So please try not to choose your evidence selectively.

Extremist, anti-Semitic, racist (which coincides with anti-Semitism, but I am mainly referring to his treatment of Oona King), terrorist supporter, friend of dictators - this list goes on.
    And your proof for these accusations. What is he an extremist because he has views that differ to the current social/political norms. What has he said against Jews? He was not racist to Oona King, that comment you are refering to is not racist. People like you calling someone a racist for simply bringing colour up are ridiculous. Terrorist supporter hmmm i think not, unlike the current adminstration in the UK and previous ones in the US whom actually done the supporting of terrorism by giving them all there weapons and supporting these dictators.

You do love flaunting these accusations. "racist - anti semetic - extremist"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadMatt)
    I would vote for a party that proposes to kick out every BNP voter in the country, they can take their vileness elsewhere....Zimbabwe perhaps.
    You're no different from the British National Party supporters you despise, what with your terrifying intolerance and support for violence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shuky)
    Martin Luther King Jr, Ghandi Malcolm X, Obama. They have/had all those traits so my friend "your" logic can be applied to people whom the world holds most dere. So please try not to choose your evidence selectively.
    You appear to be spinning a straw man argument. Originally, your sole defense of George Galloway was his apparent ability to stand up for his beliefs and confident public speaking skills. I pointed out to you that such qualities do not mean a person's views are any less repugnant.

And your proof for these accusations. What is he an extremist because he has views that differ to the current social/political norms.
    Is Nick Griffin not an extremist then, as his views 'differ to the current social/political norms'?

He was not racist to Oona King, that comment you are refering to is not racist.
    Something tells me you would not be singing the same tune, had Griffin made such comments.

People like you calling someone a racist for simply bringing colour up are ridiculous.
    Again, I doubt you would sing the same tune if Griffin brought up colour.

ReputationRep:
    What time and channel is it on?

ReputationRep:
    After BBC news on BBC 1.

22.35 I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Navras)
    What time and channel is it on?
    10:30 p.m., BBC 1. Or you can catch it on BBC iPlayer.

However, it's a terrible show which descends into crude arguments and cheap populism, so perhaps it's better not to watch it.

ReputationRep:
    A really interesting panel!

"David Dimbleby will be joined in Norwich by Geoff Hoon MP, Baroness Warsi, Baroness Williams, Clive James and George Galloway MP."

Galloway will infuriate the hell out of me, which begs the question as to why he (as a political extremist) is allowed on Question Time, when Nick Griffin seemingly is not. I find Griffin's views as abhorrent as Galloway's views, but I don't like the double standards of the BBC.
    Nick Griffin was on the Andrew Marr show in the last month.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smalltownboy)
    lolwut? How can you even compare Griffin to Galloway? Galloway may be a fool, but he is not openly racist or bigoted.
    He's pretty obviously an anti-semitic class-warfarist, though.

Anyway, the BBC must have some pro-Galloway people somewhere... they never put him on against decent debaters, or against people who who stand up to him.

Nick Griffin vs Galloway would be interesting because we would see how Galloway really is an awful debater and would just end up shouting at Griffin. Richard Littlejohn would be good as well. Someone like Shami Chakbrabarti of Liberty or Dan Hannan or one of the Hitchens brothers (preferably Pete, but Chris is cool too) would stomp Galloway into the ground.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amandacalifornia)
    OMG I wish so badly I could watch that in the US. And my dad loves Galloway.
    The wonders of youtube, eh.

(Original post by Bagration)
    Someone like Shami Chakbrabarti of Liberty or Dan Hannan or one of the Hitchens brothers (preferably Pete, but Chris is cool too) would stomp Galloway into the ground
    Haven't they already had their debate? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAja9Q1gWsk
    Haven't watched it yet though..

ReputationRep:
    Really dislike George Galloway, he's probably more Anti-semitic than Nick Griffin. I don't know why he gets even a shred of respect from some people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joluk)
    Really dislike George Galloway, he's probably more Anti-semitic than Nick Griffin. I don't know why he gets even a shred of respect from some people.
    He actually recently argued that the reports from internationals human rights organisations such as Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch which document the systemic oppression and execution of gay people in Iran was part of some conspiracy. His critics are right - this man will stoop to any level to defend extremists and dictators of the Muslim variety.

ReputationRep:
    Is he anti-semetic because he went against Israel by defying the shakles they had placed on the Gazans and actually went there in support of them with aid?

ReputationRep:
    A veritable cornucopia of Galloway action can be found on his TalkSport show, every Friday and Saturday night, 10pm-1am. It's nice to see he's getting a bit of mainstream coverage, though.

ReputationRep:
    Nick Griffin vs Galloway would be interesting because we would see how Galloway really is an awful debater and would just end up shouting at Griffin. Richard Littlejohn would be good as well. Someone like Shami Chakbrabarti of Liberty or Dan Hannan or one of the Hitchens brothers (preferably Pete, but Chris is cool too) would stomp Galloway into the ground.
    This is what I thought but George Galloway is surprisingly good at debating. Whenever I've seen a very good point posed against him, he always seems to be able to reinforce his own argument brilliantly. Saying that, I don't agree with a lot of his points but he manages to defend them so well it's no wonder so many people anticipate watching his debates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CombineHarvester)
    This is what I thought but George Galloway is surprisingly good at debating. Whenever I've seen a very good point posed against him, he always seems to be able to reinforce his own argument brilliantly. Saying that, I don't agree with a lot of his points but he manages to defend them so well it's no wonder so many people anticipate watching his debates.
    All I've seen the man do is shout down his opponents, call them racists, imperialists, whatever.

ReputationRep:
    All I've seen the man do is shout down his opponents, call them racists, imperialists, whatever.
    Go on YouTube and you'll be surprised. I thought the same but he's actually very convincing and makes references and such to back up his points. After he's done that he does call them imperialists and whatnot but by that stage he's already won over the audience with his argument that they just agree with him. I don't really agree with him on a general level but when he talks about individual points he is very good.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.