Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

I don't really know where to start but here is my situation.....

I am a 22 yr old. I have not been very successful in regards to my a levels, i pretty much ended up with the grades d e e. This led to me being rejected from every university for optometry in 2007. Due to no options and lack of knowledge on my behalf i was encouraged to pursue a foundation degree in biological sciences and use this 2 yr program as a stepping stone into optometry.

That was the plan an i had applied through ucas for the optometry course, however i got rejected from everywhere, and was given an conditional offer in orthoptics in basis of getting a 2:1.

While sitting my exams i was involved into two serious car crashes which left me with severe whiplash and bedridden for days which resulted in my preparation for the exams being effected. I still managed to sit the exams but all i have managed to get in these circumstances is 55%.

I spoke to admission woman for orthoptics who decided to reject me because even though i had a valid excuse she still decided against accepting me. This put a real downer on me so after more research and talking to people i decided to apply for audiology through clearing but unfortunately today i got declined for that also.

So right now i am heartbroken, allll my confidence in myself has gone i dont know what to do anymore, no matter what i try to do i keep getting shut down.

Constant rejection has affected me very badly mentally, now i don't even know what course to do anymore. I was hoping to get some suggestions ?! .... Also is it better to wait till Aug20th clearing or carrying on applying one course at a time through clearing ?

All advice welcome i would be very grateful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rizindon)
    I remember your thread from earlier this year. I am sorry you have had another disappointment. It is hard to advise in this situation because I don't know you and haven't seen your application. However, your post does suggest that the presentation of your written work could be one of your problems. This does put people off, especially if there are many applications to go through.

Whatever you decide to do, you will now have to wait for Clearing to start on 20 August, as Extra has now closed. I would suggest that you use the time to research courses that were still in Extra at the end of June, in case they do come up in Clearing. I also think you should ask yourself whether the healthcare courses are what you really want to do; it may be that doubts about your choice have been coming across in your application. If you can provide supporting evidence of the disruption caused to your revision by the car accidents, this would be useful information to have ready for when Clearing starts. Check out the Preparing for Results Day thread stickied at the top of this forum -

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry to read all about your situation. At times things might seem hard, but if you stay resolute and show some perseverance, in the face of strife, you might as well see yourself through this ever-dicey uni admission-limbo.

I reckone you do some thorough research on what excatly you might want to study. Consider other alternatives, apart from science-based subjects. Think of a degree that best describe your aptitude. Think of how best you could express yourself academically. You mght love sciences, but are these subjects best suited for you? Pehaps not. Perhaps you might simply be clinging to a certain ambition. Having gone through constant disappointments, I'd say this is an ample opportunity for you to reconsider your stance. Do some soul searching and hopefully, afterwards, the admission failure could be a thing of the of the past. All the very bet in your Clearing endeavor!

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I am so sorry to hear about your situation, but from what I can see it seems like your lost in regards to what you want in life?

There are lots of options and other things you can apply for.
    Have you thought of the foundation to optometry course that city do?, you do 2 years in city and islington college, and then you go straight into 2nd year of Optometry at City University.

But I would definetly recommend you sitting down and trying to think what you enjoy, what you like, what you can see yourself doing for the rest of your life. Going from Optometry to Orthoptics and then to Audiology, are completely different things.

I agree with what the above 2 people have said, you need to take some time out and think what do you really want?
    I was in a similar situation a few years ago and I couldn't decide alot of things and taking some time out and researching helped alot :yes: . If you need any help just pop me a message.

A x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.