Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    These people infuriate me, in how they believe dropping the name of a distant relation or acquaintance somehow gives them status or superiority. I don't really care if your step brother's sister's boyfriend was on a reality TV show or if your cousin goes to school with the son/daughter of a millionaire.

I'm all for having pride in your achievements, but not sponging off the success of others, to either A) Display arrogance or B) Gain some form of social standing.

What do you think about people who do this?

ReputationRep:
    I was talking to Brad Pitt about this the other day and he agrees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by **** Valentine)
    I was talking to Brad Pitt about this the other day and he agrees.
    Nicely done. Also, I'd say you're worse for getting upset over it.

ReputationRep:
    I was talking to Toasty Coke the other day and we both agreed you're over-reacting

ReputationRep:
    It's normally used to counter a lack of personal acheivements.

ReputationRep:
    It is worse when they lie about the people they ar name dropping! Although to be fair that just leads to situations of utter hilarity when tripping them up :p:

Ahh and those people who name drop people you either don't know or just have epic lolz at are the best

ReputationRep:
    Well if your about to get jumped it's much easier to drop a few names and watch them try to suckup to you than having to prove yourself.

Your examples a girls only thing though (I think), I see it but it's usually to find out if somebody knows the person and that will give you social status because that'll make it easier to bring someone into a friendship circle.

ReputationRep:
    Just ignore it and get to know the person themselves.

Everybody who can do it, does, at some point or other at least. Let it slide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nashy19)
    Well if your about to get jumped it's much easier to drop a few names and watch them try to suckup to you than having to prove yourself.

There was a bizzare incident featured on Crimewatch like this. A woman was kidnapped and driven away because she wouldn't reveal some details (a code for a safe perhaps). The robbers then started looking through her phone book in order to find someone willing to reveal the information, obviously with her wellbeing as leverage, only for them to come across a local gangland boss in her phonebook. They then let her go and that was the end of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forbidden Fruit)
    These people infuriate me, in how they believe dropping the name of a distant relation or acquaintance somehow gives them status or superiority. I don't really care if your step brother's sister's boyfriend was on a reality TV show or if your cousin goes to school with the son/daughter of a millionaire.

I'm all for having pride in your achievements, but not sponging off the success of others, to either A) Display arrogance or B) Gain some form of social standing.

i also hate people who do it

maybe those who do it are insecure, so they mention a name to seem superior or on the same level as others.

i dont think your over reacting, my mates always do it to look important and 'hard' and it pisses me right off, because i can see right through them and see why they are doing it.

I think its also done to exclude others in the conversation who do not know the person being name dropped, again this allows the speaker to gain a sense of superiority over others.

lame.

ReputationRep:
    I find that it's religious people who are the worst, all "Jesus said this" and "Moses did that", and like totally sponging off God's success.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forbidden Fruit)

what annoys me more is the arrogant americans who say **** like "we saved your asses in WW2" as if they should be bowed down to, wtf they didn't do ****, it's sad that they have to mooch off of the achievements of their past ancesters and are just disrespectful. idiots

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by basketofsnakes)
    what annoys me more is the arrogant americans who say **** like "we saved your asses in WW2" as if they should be bowed down to, wtf they didn't do ****, it's sad that they have to mooch off of the achievements of their past ancesters and are just disrespectful. idiots
    Tell them that Britain was instrumental in winning the Vietnam War. They'd probably believe it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wallflower*)
    I find that it's religious people who are the worst, all "Jesus said this" and "Moses did that", and like totally sponging off God's success.
    I'll admit it, I lol'd.

Well played ma'am, well played.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes it can't be helped!

Get over it OP...

ReputationRep:
    I know the Queen!

... Ok, I don't. Although I think I may be related to Halle Berry ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    There was a bizzare incident featured on Crimewatch like this. A woman was kidnapped and driven away because she wouldn't reveal some details (a code for a safe perhaps). The robbers then started looking through her phone book in order to find someone willing to reveal the information, obviously with her wellbeing as leverage, only for them to come across a local gangland boss in her phonebook. They then let her go and that was the end of it.
    When chavs are young they are taught who to be scared of, they really do know their place

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.