Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey all, i was wondering if guitar amps come with the leads for them aswell or do you have to purchase it separately?

ReputationRep:
    power yes, others usually not.

ReputationRep:
    My Fender 65R didn't.

ReputationRep:
    they come with their own power cable but the jack lead from guitar to amp isn't usually included. i got a cheap on with mine because i bought a bundle but your best off getting a proper one anyway. unless it says it's included assume it's not

ReputationRep:
    They come separately as people said and invest in a nice lead

ReputationRep:
    Hijacking thread slightly I think, apologies, but when people say INVEST in a nice lead, how much should you try to spend? I've seen cheap ones for only a couple of pound, how much would you expect to pay for a half decent one?

(Original post by MySweetheartTheDrunk)
    Hijacking thread slightly I think, apologies, but when people say INVEST in a nice lead, how much should you try to spend? I've seen cheap ones for only a couple of pound, how much would you expect to pay for a half decent one?
    Well the gold plated ones such as the higher end Neutrik leads give you arguably the best connection, but your average joe guitar player can probably hardly tell the difference between a 3.99 one and a 30 quid one if I'm honest. Something like this would be plenty good enough. I wouldn't spend much over 20 quid on a guitar lead personally. =]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uthred50)
    Well the gold plated ones such as the higher end Neutrik leads give you arguably the best connection, but your average joe guitar player can probably hardly tell the difference between a 3.99 one and a 30 quid one if I'm honest. Something like this would be plenty good enough. I wouldn't spend much over 20 quid on a guitar lead personally. =]
    Gold-plating is over-rated. I heard it's only effective if the connector in your guitar is also gold-plated. Something like that.

When you're starting get a decent lead, aim to spend a little under a tenner. Try to get something that's only as long as you need it to be for practising. There's no point having a massively long lead as it'll only get in the way. Once you've got a gig sorted you can get a longer lead that'll allow you to move around a bit. If you have a guitar with a Strat or Tele style jackplugs you'll probably want a lead with two straight jacks. Other styles that are closer to "a hole in a flat surface" will benefit from an angled jack.

I'd avoid planet waves, personally, as I've always found their cables a bit crap. Cheap-feeling and prone to breaking.

My favourite lead is a curly Fender one. They claim they've managed to sort out the tone-loss problems that used to plague coiled guitar leads and it looks really cool.

ReputationRep:
    They don't usually, although sometimes a shop will throw in a lead if you ask nicely
    You won't need one over about 2ft, and mine (would have) cost about £20

EDIT: Oops I didn't realise you meant the one to the guitar, I though you meant between head/cab.
    In that case, I spent £17 on the one i usually use, and it's pretty good. I got a Cordial line, and it's almost completely noise free

ReputationRep:
    I don't notice that much difference between expensive gold plated mono leads and the cheap one I bought for £1.99 Perhaps it's because I use a tiny Marshall MG10 CD :p:

Anyways, guitar amps usually don't come with the amps as far as I'm aware. The leads that are supplied are normally cheap and induce some noise. So I would say but aside £5 or £10 for a lead.

ReputationRep:
    A good lead will last a long time, but some are soooooooo expensive it is untrue.
    For that reason, I make my own leads. That way, they are the length I want, with the jacks I want also, and so far (touch wood!) they have never failed me once, and they sound great! The jacks I use for example are Neutrik 'Silent' jacks - never again will you have a massively loud pop and bang as you unplug your guitar or plug it in to a live amp!

ReputationRep:
    £10-£15 for a lea a fair price.

Warwick ones are fine.

I had one made by Venom - that broke so I would avoid them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.