Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can I complete my Biology A level, despite it being Old Spec? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm taking a gap year, intending to apply this September. Thus, I'm a student on the Old Spec.

I'm intending to retake 2 Maths modules anyway (I'm here until February so, given I have the time, why not bump it up to an A?).

I dropped Biology completing it to AS level, and got a B (1 mark off an A). Would it be possible to pick up the 3 A2 modules between now and Janruary in an attempt to complete the A Level?? I'm just confused over whetehr or not you have to be actually resitting a module to sit in Janruary, or whehter or not you can just do it for the first time to complete an ALevel.

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    seeing as its old spec, find out on the exam board website whether they are still offering the exam in january.

this is a good website for building an exam timetable:
    http://www.modernisationonline.org.uk/comptimetable/

ReputationRep:
    All the A2 modules are available for the last ever time in January, but none of the AS modules will ever be available again. Good luck!

Edit - Ah. Think you may have to be resitting though.

check the QCA website maybe?

ReputationRep:
    Here's the timetable thingy for it http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf...INE-POSTER.PDF

ReputationRep:
    It must be a resit, not a first time thing.

ReputationRep:
    I'm think you can do that, least that's what I overheard the some guy in the exams office saying to some girl who was doing the old spec AS Chinese in the Summer. Why she was doing the old spec I do not know. You should contact an exam board for clarification.

ReputationRep:
    Contact the exam board.

However, I should think it's okay. It's not like resit candidates are treated any differently anyway.

The only problem I can see is the practical assessment. As far as I know, they've only ever been available at summer. Whether they're changing this for the final sittings, I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xSkyFire)
    It must be a resit, not a first time thing.
    Can I ask how you know for sure?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allieRAWR!)
    Can I ask how you know for sure?
    I had to enroll myself at a private college which costed serious £££ since I was on the old spec too. No public colleges did old spec anymore so this was my third year picking up maths and doing resits which I've just completed and I was told that January was the last time to resit but it has to be a resit.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I am aware, all the AS units were offered for the final time in June 2009. I think it is only the externally-assessed units for A2 that are available in January 2010. No exams for the old specification are available thereafter.

ReputationRep:
    I think what it is saying here is that the last chance for old spec AS resits was June 2009, and the last opportunity for old spec A2 resits is January 2010.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.