Turn on thread page Beta

University university university university then career watch

ReputationRep:
    well iv heard a few people who have left university with a degree for e.g. in business economics and now they dont have a job and cant find a jo. This really scares me what if i do a degree (business) and i cant find a job at the end of it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a12)
    well iv heard a few people who have left university with a degree for e.g. in business economics and now they dont have a job and cant find a jo. This really scares me what if i do a degree (business) and i cant find a job at the end of it?
    With the economy in the state it's in at the moment, nothing's guaranteed. However, if you get a good degree from a good university, you'll be in a significantly stronger position when it comes to finding a job than you would be without a degree. Don't just go to university "for the sake of it" - make sure your course is worthwhile.

Also consider that (assuming that you're not yet started a degree course) the economy should hopefully have improved to some extent by the time you graduate, with an accompanying increase in the demand from employers for graduates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    With the economy in the state it's in at the moment, nothing's guaranteed. However, if you get a good degree from a good university, you'll be in a significantly stronger position when it comes to finding a job than you would be without a degree. Don't just go to university "for the sake of it" - make sure your course is worthwhile.

Also consider that (assuming that you're not yet started a degree course) the economy should hopefully have improved to some extent by the time you graduate, with an accompanying increase in the demand from employers for graduates.
    thanks thats the best advice iv got so far, i have like u siad kinda thought of uni as going just for the sake of it to get a degree and guess its best to think about it more carefully however as i changed my course im relying on clearing in augast so im not sure if il get a 'good uni'.

ReputationRep:
    You are in a strong position but there are many jobs that just require a degree overall. For example, a law career. A law degree or any degree can get you to the same place eventually - its these sort of jobs where you need to work on your other skills.

Only in jobs where you need a specific degree can you sit back and just do the degree and be reasonably safe with job prospects. Every other degree should see you developing yourself in other ways such as hobbies, interests, volunteering, positions of responsibility and various other unique experiences or attributes.

Too many people have degrees these days to just have a degree. It may work for the next 5-15 years, but after that if you find yourself out of work for whatever reason just having a degree probably wont mean half as much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spark911)
    You are in a strong position but there are many jobs that just require a degree overall. For example, a law career. A law degree or any degree can get you to the same place eventually - its these sort of jobs where you need to work on your other skills.

Only in jobs where you need a specific degree can you sit back and just do the degree and be reasonably safe with job prospects. Every other degree should see you developing yourself in other ways such as hobbies, interests, volunteering, positions of responsibility and various other unique experiences or attributes.

Too many people have degrees these days to just have a degree. It may work for the next 5-15 years, but after that if you find yourself out of work for whatever reason just having a degree probably wont mean half as much!

I thought this would be said by someone who does Law :p:

I also do Law and I have to agree. People need to realise that University isn't just about getting a degree and then bam, you have a job. You need to prove that you have a wide range of skills (communication, interpersonal, teamwork, leadership) - intelligence is only ONE skill. As said above, having a job, volunteering, being part of a society etc all show you have these skills and are constantly developing them.

Therefore, you are more employable as it will be easier for you to enter the world of work as you have the necessary skills!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a12)
    Doesn't it scare you that if you don't get a degree then you won't get a job either?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a12)
    My boyfriend has a degree in business and management, he left university over a year ago and still cant find a job. Business is such a varied area and the half decent jobs require a tonne of previous experience in lower level jobs. Business degrees are as I see it a long term investment, they will open doors in the future to higher positions but you need to start at the bottom and work your way up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spiffy)
    My boyfriend has a degree in business and management, he left university over a year ago and still cant find a job. Business is such a varied area and the half decent jobs require a tonne of previous experience in lower level jobs. Business degrees are as I see it a long term investment, they will open doors in the future to higher positions but you need to start at the bottom and work your way up.
    gosh, what can one do to have a better chance in obtaining a job at the end of it. i enjoy business and its wat id like to do but if i cnt find a job at the end of it wats the point. However i dont enjoy any other subject or see myself doing anything other than something related to business...

any suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a12)
    i enjoy business and its wat id like to do
    Do economics instead? What do you by:its what I'd like to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Do economics instead? What do you by:its what I'd like to do?
    iv never done economics and many people hav advised me not to if i havnt bfore.

i meant a career in something related to business is wat id like to do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a12)
    gosh, what can one do to have a better chance in obtaining a job at the end of it. i enjoy business and its wat id like to do but if i cnt find a job at the end of it wats the point. However i dont enjoy any other subject or see myself doing anything other than something related to business...

any suggestions?
    If you really enjoy business then go for it but if you cant get a place on a graduate scheme afterwards which is going to be extremely hard seeing as everyones off to university nowadays due to a weak job market, currently there is around 48 graduates for every graduate job. Just be prepared at the end of the course, you wont be able to just walk into a good job with a £20k starting salary. From months of job searching I can tell you that experience is the key in business, find a part time job that is somehow business related to run along your studies. My other half has been working part time in retail for 5 years yet he still hasnt gained the specific type of experience that employers want - usually along the lines of team management.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.