Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, my friend told me that he's now certain that he wants to apply to 5 London colleges which will fill up his UCAS choices.

I told him not to as it just seems strange and an abnormal decision, especially since he only decided on which course he wants to do about 2 months ago.

He obviously really wants to go to London and I'm sure he'll be predicted AAA and he has 7 A*s too, all from an underachieving state school, and a well-rounded personality.

Other than the relatively low risk of getting 5 rejections, are there any other disadvantages to this selection?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    That's fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    Hi, my friend told me that he's now certain that he wants to apply to 5 London colleges which will fill up his UCAS choices.
    It's not unusual, most people who apply to one london uni will apply to all london unis. It's actually unusual to apply to both london and non-london unis.

ReputationRep:
    He's not showing any loyalties.

ReputationRep:
    I struggle to see the problem

Also is your friend you?

ReputationRep:
    aren't there only like 2 good london unis though?

ReputationRep:
    Nah, sounds fine. London's supposed to be a fantastic city to study in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ennC)
    I think most people would say LSE, UCL, Imperial, Kings and QMUL are all pretty good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ennC)
    Imperial (although it's no longer part of the UoL), UCL, LSE, KCL, QMUL, SOAS, Barts (for medicine), Goldsmiths, Heythrop (for Theology and philosophy) and more. True, UCL and LSE are seen as being the particularly strong and competitive universities but there is life outside them.

I don't really see the problem. Not all London universities/colleges are incredibly competitive and ask for straight As. Say he's applying to study politics then it's possibly to make a realistic application

Typical offers: -

LSE - AAB
    SOAS - AAB
    UCL - AAB - ABB
    Goldsmiths - BBB
    QMUL - BBB

Now, ideally (for LSE, UCL and SOAS) an applicant needs to be predicted AAA and have a strong set of GCSE results but your friend has this so I don't think there are any worries there. They also should the extra AS and KCL often ask for it. Then there's Goldsmiths and Queen Mary are useful back ups. Neither should be sniffed at, especially not Queen Mary. If you wanted to be a little bit more ambitious then it's possible to substitute Goldsmiths for KCL (AAB). Of course, KCL don't offer politics (only War Studies). Likewise UCL don't offer Politics on its own. Finally, the personal statement and references certainly have a role to play but this is just an example after all. Either way, I'd say that's quite a sensible application.

I was going to use philosophy as an example (LSE, UCL, KCL, Heythrop) but you really struggle with a fifth option so may need to go non-London.

Politics and philosophy aren't special cases. You can do it with the majority of subjects with a few exceptions (usually some professional courses or sciences like architecture, medicine and law). But with AAA predicted, those GCSE results and a carefully constructed personal statement then there's no reason why he can't do it. London's not somewhere that I can see myself studying (not for three years anyway, may go to the Bartlett as a postgrad for a year) it's something that appeals to many and I appreciate that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    Imperial (although it's no longer part of the UoL), UCL, LSE, KCL, QMUL, SOAS, Barts (for medicine), Goldsmiths, Heythrop (for Theology and philosophy) and more. True, UCL and LSE are seen as being the particularly strong and competitive universities but there is life outside them.

I don't really see the problem. Not all London universities/colleges are incredibly competitive and ask for straight As. Say he's applying to study politics then it's possibly to make a realistic application

Typical offers: -

LSE - AAB
    SOAS - AAB
    UCL - AAB - ABB
    Goldsmiths - BBB
    QMUL - BBB

Now, ideally (for LSE, UCL and SOAS) an applicant needs to be predicted AAA and have a strong set of GCSE results but your friend has this so I don't think there are any worries there. They also should the extra AS and KCL often ask for it. Then there's Goldsmiths and Queen Mary are useful back ups. Neither should be sniffed at, especially not Queen Mary. If you wanted to be a little bit more ambitious then it's possible to substitute Goldsmiths for KCL (AAB). Of course, KCL don't offer politics (only War Studies). Likewise UCL don't offer Politics on its own. Finally, the personal statement and references certainly have a role to play but this is just an example after all. Either way, I'd say that's quite a sensible application.

I was going to use philosophy as an example (LSE, UCL, KCL, Heythrop) but you really struggle with a fifth option so may need to go non-London.

Politics and philosophy aren't special cases. You can do it with the majority of subjects with a few exceptions (usually some professional courses or sciences like architecture, medicine and law). But with AAA predicted, those GCSE results and a carefully constructed personal statement then there's no reason why he can't do it. London's not somewhere that I can see myself studying (not for three years anyway, may go to the Bartlett as a postgrad for a year) it's something that appeals to many and I appreciate that.
    Thanks for the post, it was very useful even for myself as I don't intend to apply to 5 London colleges but maybe one or two and you're post enlightened me too. I'll have my friend read it and post here too. I don't know why he's so obsessed with London either but I can see the obvious attractions and benefits, and then there's the ability to make a sensible application taking into consideration the requirements and competition at each college.

(Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    Also is your friend you?
    No lol. But I expected somebody to ask that! :p: Even if you think I am 'my friend' it's not an embarrassing post!

ReputationRep:
    I'd do the same if 5 offered my course. It's not abnormal

ReputationRep:
    Are London unis meant to be harder to get into or something? Sorry, excuse my ignorance

ReputationRep:
    It would only be disadvantageous if your friend didn't want to study in London.

I applied to 2 out of 4 choices personally, but had I been able to I would probably have applied to 3.

Seems like a reasonable decision to me. Far better to pick 5 that he really would be happy to go to than throw in a couple that he isn't keen on and then be whining if those are the only offers he gets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexss)
    Are London unis meant to be harder to get into or something? Sorry, excuse my ignorance
    Not really. It's just that some of the country's best universities are in London and very popular. But even so, somewhere like UCL is no "harder" to get into than a provincial university of a similar quality, say, Warwick or Durham although this will obviously vary by department. A London university isn't hard to get into just because it's in London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    Not really. It's just that some of the country's best universities are in London and very popular. But even so, somewhere like UCL is no "harder" to get into than a provincial university of a similar quality, say, Warwick or Durham although this will obviously vary by department. A London university isn't hard to get into just because it's in London.
    Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    No, I know loads of people who only chose London universities. What's wrong with that?

There are also a variety of different London unis at different levels so if your friends plays his/her cards right he/she won't get 5 rejections.

ReputationRep:
    It's nopt silly at all. Within London, there is a similar "hierarchy" of universities as anywhere else, just on a smaller scale. You can still choose 2 "top" universities, 2 ones you're likely to get into and 1 back up, so it's no different to anywhere else. In fact, it's more sensible than a lot of people who simply pick 5 very prestigious or high ranking universities across the country, with no thoughts of back ups or insurance choices.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.