The Student Room Group

Should we have compulsory citizenship tests for all citizens (not just immigrants)?

Poll

For or against compulsory citizenship tests for all members of the country?

Hopefully we can discuss this civilly as it is a rather thought-provoking topic.

Well, lots of people are clamoring about how immigrants come into countries and somehow "steal" citizenship. This is despite the fact that the immigrants take a citizenship test that asks basic questions about the country's history and background.

I suspect that a most of this xenophobic group is ignorant and uninformed; I doubt that the majority of them would be able to pass the same citizenship tests we impose on immigrants. So do you think that all people ought to earn their citizenship? POLL INCLUDED.

If people born in the country fail the test, what should happen? Should they be deported? Should they be driven into military service to prove their allegiance? :eek: Should they just be classified as a non-citizen and not be given benefits?

What about claims that the party controlling government may create a biased test that favors certain segments of the population over the other (i.e. by asking questions that those segments are more likely to answer correctly)? Hmm, how basic should the test be then?

Now that I think about it, compulsory citizenship tests are probably a bad idea unless we are willing to find/impose solutions for the complications that may arise. Hmm. :woo:

Scroll to see replies

I don't know nothing about this country at all , literally nothing :s-smilie:. Are we supposed to know the background or something. I'd fail that test epically :awesome:
Reply 2
Maximum Velocity
I don't know nothing about this country at all , literally nothing :s-smilie:. Are we supposed to know the background or something. I'd fail that test epically :awesome:

lol that's a problem :awesome: perhaps some brief, decent, and structured citizenship education is necessary in school (as well as sex ed, for that matter!) :yes: I think this would be a great thing for the US, which is where I live. When I said "this country" in the OP, though, I was being kinda ambiguous; maybe the complexity of national history/background is different in different countries lol! :coma:
Nope, I was born here and thats the only thing I care about relating to this island. Nor do I know anything about history/the queen etc or care truth be told.
jhukranti
lol that's a problem :awesome: perhaps some brief, decent, and structured citizenship education is necessary in school (as well as sex ed, for that matter!) :yes: I think this would be a great thing for the US, which is where I live. When I said "this country" in the OP, though, I was being kinda ambiguous; maybe the complexity of national history/background is different in different countries lol! :coma:

Are you horny by any chance ! :p:

And forget having compulsary education to do with citizenship , we already have RE. No more lessons which require me to sleep in please , sleeping in RE lessons is enough for the week :p:
no. what would we do with people who failed? deport them to where if this is their homeland?

i dont think passing a citizenship test makes a person a good citizenship. granted he/she will know the country`s history but may still be a idiot.
Should they be deported?

Errr... deported to where? What a silly suggestion. :s-smilie:
What would be the point in a citizenship test? Knowing facts about the country you are living in is now way a measure of your dedication to it or how good of a citizen you are. Im sure there are people who could churn out every answer correctly and be a right ****, and people who couldnt answer a single one of them but be 'better' for the country.

Whos to say that you even should have any kind of dedication or alligence to the country anyway?

Seems silly to me.
Reply 8
Maximum Velocity
Are you horny by any chance ! :p:

And forget having compulsary education to do with citizenship , we already have RE. No more lessons which require me to sleep in please , sleeping in RE lessons is enough for the week :p:

That's a good point lol :awesome:
Erm, where exactly would people who were born here be deported to? :confused:
Reply 10
All immigrants should pass a "fit and proper" test. Immigrants who are likely to doss around or commit crime will be denied entry. If you're talentless we don't want you. The Swiss do this and have a quality of life we'd dream of having. This doesn't apply to citizens.
sarahstar786
no. what would we do with people who failed? deport them to where if this is their homeland?

i dont think passing a citizenship test makes a person a good citizenship. granted he/she will know the country`s history but may still be a idiot.

Exactly this , btw you're cute :biggrin: :giggle:

I reckon the majorit of people will fail the test , so it wouldn't really work.
Reply 12
timetokill
What would be the point in a citizenship test? Knowing facts about the country you are living in is now way a measure of your dedication to it or how good of a citizen you are. Im sure there are people who could churn out every answer correctly and be a right ****, and people who couldnt answer a single one of them but be 'better' for the country.

Whos to say that you even should have any kind of dedication or alligence to the country anyway?

Seems silly to me.

I was just awfully pissed at the way some ignorant people were posturing that they are better than immigrants and other people who are trying to get citizenship without having been born in the country. humans are humans, yes -- it doesn't matter if one was born in the country or not, he/she may still be a stupidhead!!

But yes, compulsory citizenship tests are both impractical and prob. unnecessary. I must confess I don't have much hope for my countrymen; sometimes I feel if they run the country to smithereens in their xenophobia/bigotry/general nimcompoopishness, then it might just be for the better as they'll win their very own National Darwin Award.
Reply 13
steeler4life
Erm, where exactly would people who were born here be deported to? :confused:

Hmm one possible idea is to divide the country and place them into a non-citizen zones. However, this may simply undermine the concept of national unity (which I must note these ignorant xenophobes aim to erode...perhaps fighting on these people's level is bad idea after all). Another idea is to deport them to the Atlantic. That would simply be a barbaric option :eek:
Reply 14
we recently took a citizenship test in class to see how some actual citizens would do, i was the only one to pass (also the only immigrant :biggrin: ) but realised its more testing someone's ability to hold information rather than their 'Britishness', and as is the case i don't find it fair that immigrants are required to something to join a group that most of that group would be incapable of.

so yerrr cuz send dumb people somewhere special then maybe years later they get a smart guy like in idiocracy
Reply 15
jhukranti
I was just awfully pissed at the way some ignorant people were posturing that they are better than immigrants and other people who are trying to get citizenship without having been born in the country. humans are humans, yes -- it doesn't matter if one was born in the country or not, he/she may still be a stupidhead!!

But yes, compulsory citizenship tests are both impractical and prob. unnecessary. I must confess I don't have much hope for my countrymen; sometimes I feel if they run the country to smithereens in their xenophobia/bigotry/general nimcompoopishness, then it might just be for the better as they'll win their very own National Darwin Award.

It might just be best if everyone were required to do some form of non-military national service in exchange for benefits such as Jobseeker's Allowance and Housing Benefit. That way people can be given something useful to do, which is very important for the self-esteem of those made unexpectedly redundant. It will also allow them to demonstrate some degree of commitment to the country they're living in whilst unable to pay income tax and National Insurance.

I'm sure there are flaws with my suggestion (e.g. what there is for these people to do that isn't degrading/unnecessary) and exemptions would be necessary for those unable to do national service, but it's better than a meaningless test. A similar thing could be applied to immigrants, such that they can contribute whilst looking for work.
Reply 16
jhukranti
Hopefully we can discuss this civilly as it is a rather thought-provoking topic.

Well, lots of people are clamoring about how immigrants come into countries and somehow "steal" citizenship. This is despite the fact that the immigrants take a citizenship test that asks basic questions about the country's history and background.

I suspect that a most of this xenophobic group is ignorant and uninformed; I doubt that the majority of them would be able to pass the same citizenship tests we impose on immigrants. So do you think that all people ought to earn their citizenship? POLL INCLUDED.

If people born in the country fail the test, what should happen? Should they be deported? Should they be driven into military service to prove their allegiance? :eek: Should they just be classified as a non-citizen and not be given benefits?

What about claims that the party controlling government may create a biased test that favors certain segments of the population over the other (i.e. by asking questions that those segments are more likely to answer correctly)? Hmm, how basic should the test be then?

Now that I think about it, compulsory citizenship tests are probably a bad idea unless we are willing to find/impose solutions for the complications that may arise. Hmm. :woo:

My class did a mock citizenship test, I think everyone failed it. The questions were ridiculous, like what order were the saints days in, what would you do if you were arrested...
No, It would just be a waste of time because even if people who were born here failed then you can't go to them get out of your own country.

If however, the country that we get deported to is Australia then yh I'd fail just to leave this joke of a country.
Reply 18
interrobang
My class did a mock citizenship test, I think everyone failed it. The questions were ridiculous, like what order were the saints days in, what would you do if you were arrested...

You clearly need to be deported. Anyone with me here. I think I am going to create a facebook group asking for your deportation.
Fusion
All immigrants should pass a "fit and proper" test. Immigrants who are likely to doss around or commit crime will be denied entry. If you're talentless we don't want you. The Swiss do this and have a quality of life we'd dream of having. This doesn't apply to citizens.

I think that's a good idea. Like if people choose to emigrate to Australia or Canada we have to take with us a profession or a trade.

Latest

Trending

Trending