Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is classical music for the middle/upper classes? Watch

ReputationRep:
    No, it's just mostly taste.

ReputationRep:
    It can be perfect for winding down after a long day. Personally I like to listen to some baroque whilst doing work at my desk during university term time It really helps my concetrate and keeps my mind on task.

ReputationRep:
    Ludwig Van <3

A Clockwork Orange taught me well

ReputationRep:
    I think it's purely a case of culture, and what you're used to.

Even though there are many clever, complex guitar solos in heavy metal music - you probably won't find many people from the upper classes listening to them - it probably just sounds like a lot of loud noise.

Similarly, if people from the "lower class" have grown up listening to the clever lyrics contained in rap and hip-hop music, or listening to music with lyrics that they can personally relate to - upon listening to classical music, I'd expect them to think "well what's so good about it?"

(I also suspect that much of the intelligence, creativity, and skill which goes into creating a piece of classical music may only be evident if the listeners have studied music themselves, to some level - which middle and upper class people are more likely to be able to afford to do)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadMatt)
    Hi, I live in London and as such I come across all sorts of backgrounds and classes and whatnot. It always strikes me that less affluent people NEVER listen to classical music, and when I suggest it to them they laugh it off as some sort of foreign concept.

Is there a reason why it tends to be the educated/affluent/culltured peolpe that like classical music?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-LK-...ture=rec-HM-r2

How can you not like those masterpieces!?!?
    Indeed not: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkVQy7QLM

ReputationRep:
    I hope he doesn't call himself a comedian.

I'll never get those 5 mins back. :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overmars)
    I hope he doesn't call himself a comedian.

I'll never get those 5 mins back. :facepalm2:
    Meh, horses and courses.

ReputationRep:
    Is classical music for the middle/upper classes?
    Clearly you've not read any Bukowski or heard the Simón Bolívar Symphony Orchestra.

My appreciation of classical music has nothing to do with my upbringing. I was just lucky enough to pick a very good Beethoven symphony from the music library out of curiosity a few years ago, and it blossomed from there. I don't play any instruments and my parents are middle class and listen almost exclusively to folk, blues and rock.

ReputationRep:
    I think everyone, is on some level, a product of their environment. I grew up with classical music in the house, so i know where to find it now and listen to it when i study. However, on a different note, i didnt grow up with poetry, so honestly wouldnt know where to begin now. Possibly that explains the seeming cultural divide?

ReputationRep:
    I look for music to energise me and give me a good, positive feeling - classical music doesn't really do that for me.

For this reason, I also don't particularly enjoy soppy or whiny songs.

When I want to relax, I generally just listen to some cool jazz tunes. So, classical music just doesn't fit in anywhere with how I want my mood/feelings to be affected by music.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I live in London and as such I come across all sorts of backgrounds and classes and whatnot. It always strikes me that less affluent people NEVER listen to classical music, and when I suggest it to them they laugh it off as some sort of foreign concept.

Is there a reason why it tends to be the educated/affluent/culltured peolpe that like classical music?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-LK-...ture=rec-HM-r2

How can you not like those masterpieces!?!?
    I absoloutely adore classical music, its mainly what I listen to, well...that and film score etc. I love all sortsa music but this is what I listen to the most.

I always have loved it, and I do happen to come from a middle-class family BUT both my parents were involved professionally in classical music....so I don't know which is the greater influence?
    It's the sort of music that once you start loving it, you can't understand why no one else is. It's a lonely obsession :P

ReputationRep:
    I find it odd when people describe classical music as 'relaxing'. Of course there are relaxing pieces, but I find all of my favourites to be exhilarating. When writing an essay I'd get more work done listening to Slipknot for example than I would Beethoven, because the former is so ******* boring I'd just mentally tune it out.

You're an absolute lunatic if you would describe this as 'relaxing':

ReputationRep:
    NO classical music is not for middle/upper classes!! It is common for classical music to be associated with people from such classes because the music is often produced by such people.

Classical music is not for any one class in particular!!! Such music is for thoses that appreciate the melody of the music. This can include anyone from a working class or even an underclass background (as well as the stereotyped upper/middle class):yes:

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Lower/middle class do not know how to appreciate it.

One of the greatest classical songs in my opinion is Requim for a Dream:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDFqyxJZULg

ReputationRep:
    What rubbish, it's all about taste. You don't see a load of rich bimbo celebrities listening to classical music do you? Nor do you see every middle class kid loving Chopin. My boyfriend comes from a working class background and loves classical, as do I.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I'm far from middle or upper class, I'm an orphan scraping along somewhere the bottom, yet I absolutely love, adore, engage with "classical" music.

ReputationRep:
    I just don't understand why these people won't at all appreciate classical music. They are closed off from a world of genius.
    but if you didn't listen to DJ hype or the prodigy or watever then they might say the same to you. in a few years wat we listen to now may well be classical. On saying this it shows how not all music is for everyone, now i'm a ******' peasant from east london and i loove classical music , some of my rich friends don't. but i only like the stuff that i like , most of it is bollox. if theres a truly great song then people will like it , if not then its just your taste

ReputationRep:
    Ah I remember the first peice I fell in love with; it was from a Mozart DVD I was watching. K 175. Concerto in D major #5.

As for class... Probably is found more in middle and upper class families.

ReputationRep:

:coma:

Who cares? Only retards can't appreciate it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foxo)
    I find it odd when people describe classical music as 'relaxing'. Of course there are relaxing pieces, but I find all of my favourites to be exhilarating. When writing an essay I'd get more work done listening to Slipknot for example than I would Beethoven, because the former is so ******* boring I'd just mentally tune it out.

You're an absolute lunatic if you would describe this as 'relaxing':

Well, it's not relaxing, but the interpretation is kind of shallow, in my opinion.

Anyway, no, classical music isn't for any particular class. I'm from a working-class background. No one in my family really enjoys it, but since I was about twelve, it's been pretty much all that I listen to. I think that anyone can enjoy it if one approaches it with an open mind. I think part of the blame for a lack of popular interest in it belongs to people who say, for example, 'only retards can't appreciate it.' Musicians and listeners who congratulate themselves on their 'intellectual' or 'sophisticated' tastes aren't doing a damn thing to advance classical music or make it more accessible to the general public - in fact it just puts off people who are curious about it but shy away from exploring it because they're intimidated.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.