Turn on thread page Beta

Is classical music for the middle/upper classes? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by love.to.love.you.)
    'Good on you'? I don't need a pat on the back for being cultured tbh..
    Yes you do, you're a working class yobo at heart, but good on you for fighting it.

ReputationRep:
    Got brought up on rock and pop music and later into metal but I love classical.

Oh, and I'm total working class, bruv.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see how people can dismiss it is boring. Some of it is incredibly exciting and powerful- the last movement of Beethoven's 5th, for example - some are very fast-paced, and other pieces, although slower, are so beautiful that I personally could never just have it on as 'background' music, I always have to listen to it properly.

People have an image of it as dull and boring, when in fact there is an incredible variety of styles - exciting, fast, playful, romantic, mournful, soul-stirring, rousing, modern, atmospheric (eg. Danse Macabre by Saint-Saens, 'Hoedown' in the Rodeo Series by Copland), tender, tear-jerkingly sad, beautiful, or combinations of these...

ReputationRep:
    I was born in east London to a telephone engineer father and mother ... and I love classical music, listen to a mix of baroque and rock music.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.