Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

I am an international student who have received 3 offers to start study in Sept. The programs are:

MSc in Financial & Business Management - Kingston University
    MSC IN ACCOUNTING AND FINANCE - Cardiff University
    MSC Management (Finance) - Swansea University

Which of this do you consider to be better for quality and employment perspectives? Do you think that doing a MSc in universities as the ones I named above (They are not so well known as other famous universities) are really useful when looking for a job?? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Cardiff is the best option for you in terms of repute.Not sure about the job prospects.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. Anybody has some info about job prospects in that unis??
    I have thought to reject Swansea, but I don't know what to do with the other 2 sice Cardiff has more reputation, but Kingston is near London and maybe that would help when looking for a job..I dont know what to do,really confused..

ReputationRep:
    Cardiff by far, you will get any job in Wales at that uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cruciform)
    Cardiff by far, you will get any job in Wales at that uni.
    That's absolutely not true.

OP: Reputation is pointless as a measure of how good a university is. Have you looked sufficiently at the courses and determined which one of the three is closest to your interests / learning style? Have you looked at the locations - Swansea's campus is right next to the sea, Cardiff's is in the city centre, and Kingston's - as you say - is in London (with all that entails)?

In the end, doing a master's isn't about leaning on perceived fame, it's about individual improvement and learning and if you get a good degree at the end of it, THAT will make the difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adorno)
    That's absolutely not true.

OP: Reputation is pointless as a measure of how good a university is. Have you looked sufficiently at the courses and determined which one of the three is closest to your interests / learning style? Have you looked at the locations - Swansea's campus is right next to the sea, Cardiff's is in the city centre, and Kingston's - as you say - is in London (with all that entails)?

In the end, doing a master's isn't about leaning on perceived fame, it's about individual improvement and learning and if you get a good degree at the end of it, THAT will make the difference.
    Then why does eveyone always want to go to Oxbridge when looking at postgraduate level? Many people aim to do this as their first thing on their mind when considering Master's level if they have a good honours degree. If you go to a more recognised institution, especially Oxbridge, it really does open doors.

ReputationRep:
    Cardiff. Best place in the world! If you're an active person then you'd love the active nature of the city and all the opportunities that come with it. Swansea is a dump, cut that out of your consideration immediately! I can't comment on your other choice, but if it's in London, then consider the cost of living because it's bound to be fairly high. All in all, Cardiff is an awesome place to be with a lot of diverse cultures, places to visit, tons of shops, etc. I know I've focused heavily on the place itself rather than the university, but even if I did, then I'd still say Cardiff because it has an excellent reputation. From what I've heard, it's one of the best in the country for the course you are hoping to do. I hope you make the right decision and enjoy the 3-4 years you spend wherever you go!

ReputationRep:
    Then why does eveyone always want to go to Oxbridge when looking at postgraduate level? Many people aim to do this as their first thing on their mind when considering Master's level if they have a good honours degree. If you go to a more recognised institution, especially Oxbridge, it really does open doors.
    Because most people know next to nothing about how postgraduate education works and how academia works! Oxford and Cambridge open only certain doors and are not the be-all and end-all of education at ANY level. Unfortunately the country at large is still caught up in the notion that we still have a hierarchy based on the privileges of Oxford & Cambridge and, of course, that belief perpetuates the non-existent privilege [I say this as having an Oxford BA]. Going to a "more recognised institution" means absolutely nothing if that institution doesn't offer what you want. I look at the people in my field [Labour history] and most of them don't have Oxbridge degrees and certainly none of them teach at Oxbridge. What do prestige whores make of that? Oh, that labour history isn't important enough?

Your statement, that Cardiff degrees can get you any job in Wales, is entirely false. The recent RAE assessments of Welsh universities placed Glamorgan AND Swansea above Cardiff in terms of the quality of the research being undertaken at those universities. Do you wish to argue with academic testing?

And, for ****'s sake: none of you answering in here are postgrads!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Because most people know next to nothing about how postgraduate education works and how academia works! Oxford and Cambridge open only certain doors and are not the be-all and end-all of education at ANY level. Unfortunately the country at large is still caught up in the notion that we still have a hierarchy based on the privileges of Oxford & Cambridge and, of course, that belief perpetuates the non-existent privilege [I say this as having an Oxford BA]. Going to a "more recognised institution" means absolutely nothing if that institution doesn't offer what you want. I look at the people in my field [Labour history] and most of them don't have Oxbridge degrees and certainly none of them teach at Oxbridge. What do prestige whores make of that? Oh, that labour history isn't important enough?

Your statement, that Cardiff degrees can get you any job in Wales, is entirely false. The recent RAE assessments of Welsh universities placed Glamorgan AND Swansea above Cardiff in terms of the quality of the research being undertaken at those universities. Do you wish to argue with academic testing?

And, for ****'s sake: none of you answering in here are postgrads!!!!
    In terms of jobs I'm pretty sure employers will give Oxbridge postgraduates a job, I heard that some city firms only take their pick from oxbridge students becuase that's all they need. For example Magic Cirlcle Law firms are primarily oxbridge students. Investment Banks take a quarter of applicants from Oxbridge and about 40% of the civil service graduate jobs go to Oxbridge students - as said by Quady on TSR who works in the Civil Service Fast Stream. You can evidently see employers value oxbridge students from statistics.

ReputationRep:
    In terms of jobs I'm pretty sure employers will give Oxbridge postgraduates a job, I heard that some city firms only take their pick from oxbridge students becuase that's all they need. For example Magic Cirlcle Law firms are primarily oxbridge students. Investment Banks take a quarter of applicants from Oxbridge and about 40% of the civil service graduate jobs go to Oxbridge students - as said by Quady on TSR who works in the Civil Service Fast Stream. You can evidently see employers value oxbridge students from statistics.
    As I said, Oxford degrees or Cambridge degrees open up certain doors. But in the real world they don't. But if you really want to perpetuate an unfair hierarchy, go right ahead. The qualitative evidence as to whether Cardiff is better than Swansea or Kingston is just not there.

ReputationRep:
    I study at swansea and i have friends who study at cardiff and from my expereince swansea is the much more friendly place to be in that it has a much better student atmosphere.

No one i knew in Cardiff ever really got involved in anything and were never encouraged to do so. Also Swansea is a campus uni so everything and everyone in one place giving an awesome student community, while cardiff just has buildign strwen over the city which seems to really devide the student community.

Also swansea being a smaller university doesnt mean its a worse university. the student staff ratio in the department im in is so good you can basicly get one to one tuition if you ask for it

ReputationRep:
    As I said, Oxford degrees or Cambridge degrees open up certain doors. But in the real world they don't. But if you really want to perpetuate an unfair hierarchy, go right ahead. The qualitative evidence as to whether Cardiff is better than Swansea or Kingston is just not there.
    Obviously in the real world they do mean a lot, as I made out in the previous post, employers clearly favour them, just look at the statistics for the top city firms in most fields. I know a classics Oxford graduate as an analyst and I know that Investment Banking is a highly quantitive role! He didn't do any quantitive A-levels either. The most was his GCSE Maths grade A!

ReputationRep:
    Obviously in the real world they do mean a lot, as I made out in the previous post, employers clearly favour them, just look at the statistics for the top city firms in most fields. I know a classics Oxford graduate as an analyst and I know that Investment Banking is a highly quantitive role! He didn't do any quantitive A-levels either. The most was his GCSE Maths grade A!
    I'm sorry but the City is not the real world.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry but the City is not the real world.
    Well in most places I'm sure, especially if they aren't as competive or high caliber as most in the city. As an oxford student yourself you must be aware of the biased towards the students.

ReputationRep:
    Then why does eveyone always want to go to Oxbridge when looking at postgraduate level?
    Eh? They don't.

ReputationRep:
    I have just finished my undergraduate degree at Swansea; I received and met offers for both Cardiff and Swansea for my course (History). Despite Cardiff being much higher in the 'rankings' I chose Swansea after going to both open days. I much preferred the campus university feel and the modules on offer. So what I would suggest OP is going to open days for both, ask questions and find out everything you can about the course. The statement about getting any job in Wales with a degree from Cardiff University is laughable.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.