Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

One of my 'rents emotionally abuses me and, in the past and now occasionally over the phone, my brother. My brother has agoraphobia and psychosis. I began living with said rent alone 3ish years ago, and my personality and confidence has deteriorated and withered away by this point. I am a nervous wreck, and because I moved here and lost all my old friends and support networks, everything, I receive proper love from no one (I don't really see my mother much anymore, and she is quite a distant person, though very nice) and this has destroyed me above all else. I crave attention all the time, and I have lost the ability to form my own opinions about many things. All I now focus on is learning/reading in isolation and exercise. I have Asperger's Syndrome, too. People think I'm happy because I cannot help but put up a front when with people, and ironically I have a feeling some may think I'm arrogant because of this, but really I've just a hard shell and empty interior.
    Also, he thinks he has a moral one-up on me. I do nothing wrong. I don't drink, smoke, take drugs, swear. I am the most polite and well mannered person I know, and all I care about is being healthy and learning as much as possible.

Tbh, I just needed to actually get this off my chest. That's all.

ReputationRep:
    how do they emotionally abuse you? name calling?too high expectations? no encouragement?

ReputationRep:
    It's a big step, but consider reporting it and getting yourself out of there/getting help. If you're a woman (although if you're not I'm sure they could give you information) check out http://www.womensaid.org.uk/

Emotional abuse is still abuse at the end of the day, and it will be taken as seriously as violent abuse. This link has some numbers and info...there's quite a few support organisations for those suffering from abuse so I just selected two here.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/CrimeJus...ime/DG_4003136

Take care
    xo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twizzle)
    how do they emotionally abuse you? name calling?too high expectations? no encouragement?
    All 3 of those

(Original post by lostdoll)
    Thanks very much for those links, I appreciate it!

ReputationRep:
    is there no other family members you can turn to? any friends you can chat to about this? just remember you're not alone. hundreds and thousands of people go through this kind of thing every day. remember it's your life, don't try and live it to please your parent, because i don't think anyone can ever really be the way their parent wants them to be, live life for yourself,do what you want to do with it. are you at uni? if not try looking into it, because when people move away is the time they really turn into the person they're going to be. Independence would be good for you from this household at the minute, you need to get out if you can.

ReputationRep:
    im with you hun x my whole life has been full of abuse from my mother, emotional abuse and ocassionly physical abuse. the only thing you can do is confrontiation.. ask the said person WHY? why do you do this? and i promise hun you will be able to move on x also seeing a therapist or calling the smaritains or even talking to me will help you get it of your mind xx

ReputationRep:
    you really should not tke any of this from anybody, no matter if theyre ur family. when it cmes to protecting ur indivualism, u need to go that extra step. iv bin emoionally abused by my boyfriend, and iv dealt with it much better than i thought i would. get help frm people around you whom you trust, and tsr's always there, get in touch with me via personal message out hereif you need to ask me anything at all.
    i all willling to help babe xx

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 17, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.