Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I read recently that in 2008, 35,000 students dropped out of university. Most of these were students in their first year but some were were second and even third years.

What makes people drop out of university? I graduated two weeks ago and I am looking for a job at the moment, but just having a degree(of any kind) will open doors for me that would have remained firmly shut had I dropped out of university.

ReputationRep:
    bad results, don't like the uni, don't like their degree, failed, medical grounds, job offers, fed up with education, its not of them, money issue, the list can go on :p:

ReputationRep:
    My teachers had pretty low expectations for me, and predicted low grades for me, and I applied to low ranked unis, my parents didnt go to uni and thought that it was amazing I was going to uni so I was encouraged, then on results day I got AAAB.

But by then I had already got a firm choice and a student loan so I went anyway, after a week I already knew I wasn't fulfilling my potential, so I left before christmas, and reapplied through ucas, I got accepted into Durham, Warwick, Leicester, York etc.

So I dont see why people associate dropping out with failure, in my opinion my chances of failure would have been higher if I had stayed at a crappy uni.

ReputationRep:
    I dont think dropping out is failure. If you decide to drop out then you havnt failed you made a choice you didnt fail. If you got booted out due to bad grades then yeah you failed, in a sense you faield yourself. You chose whats best for you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robinson999)
    bad results, don't like the uni, don't like their degree, failed, medical grounds, job offers, fed up with education, its not for them, money issue, the list can go on :p:
    My reason for quitting uni first time round was all of these!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by robinson999)
    bad results, don't like the uni, don't like their degree, failed, medical grounds, job offers, fed up with education, its not of them, money issue, the list can go on :p:
    :ditto: - There are plenty of reasons for dropping out.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.