Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    And what is considered upper-class?

merci

ReputationRep:
    Middle-class: Jeremy Paxman.

Upper-class: David Cameron.

ReputationRep:
    Oh god, so many ways you could classify it.

Wealth, Income, Capital, Culture, Oppourtunity, Skill level, Education, ascribed status, celebrity, power etc.

Personally I say home owners or skilled professionals are middle class
    Upper class is an ascribed status, for aristocracy, or in rare occasions the super-celebrity.

ReputationRep:
    This thread will not cause any dispute whatsoever :awesome:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Upper class has a much stricter definition, usually money and social standing. You can be middle class in so many ways....even if you just follow politics you're considered to be middle class!

ReputationRep:
    Millionaire = upper class, the end :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lou Reed)
    I don't get it... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Welsh_insomniac)
    I don't get it... :confused:
    Im guessing it's to do with voting behaviour? :confused: (Labour, Tories, greens...)

ReputationRep:
    Oh there are many levels to my picture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sver)
    I don't think being a millionaire is sufficient to be upper class.

(Original post by Sver)
    Just no. This isnt america. Class isnt money.

Wayne Rooney is not upper class. He just a rich chav.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    Oh god, so many ways you could classify it.

Wealth, Income, Capital, Culture, Oppourtunity, Skill level, Education, ascribed status, celebrity, power etc.

Personally I say home owners or skilled professionals are middle class
    Upper class is an ascribed status, for aristocracy, or in rare occasions the super-celebrity.
    Home owners? You'd hardly be middle class if you'd bought your council house.

Even a owning a better house than that wouldn't necessarily make you middle class, I don't think, considering how they handed out mortgages like sweets a few years ago.

(Original post by Camden Town)
    Middle-class: Jeremy Paxman.

Upper-class: David Cameron.
    Jeremy Paxman went to an extremely prestigious school and then Oxbridge too you know.. As did I.

All upper middle class.

ReputationRep:
    Above Lower Class, below Upper Class.

ReputationRep:
    The criteria to be upper class is wearing a top hat and monocle as casual wear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eric Arthur)
    Home owners? You'd hardly be middle class if you'd bought your council house.

Even a owning a better house than that wouldn't necessarily make you middle class, I don't think, considering how they handed out mortgages like sweets a few years ago.

I say if you've worked hard, saved well and paid off your mortgage you deserve the mantle of being middle class. It takes an appreciation of capital and a humble perserverence to pay off a mortgage, I'd say. You certainly won't get benefit scroungers and unskilled workers at minimum wage owning a home.

(Original post by sorafdfs)
    The criteria to be upper class is wearing a top hat and monocle as casual wear.
    You've forgotten the walking cane. Ive yet to wear a monocle sadly. It is an ambition.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.board67.com/forum/misc-bo...dle-class.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    I say if you've worked hard, saved well and paid off your mortgage you deserve the mantle of being middle class. It takes an appreciation of capital and a humble perserverence to pay off a mortgage, I'd say. You certainly won't get benefit scroungers and unskilled workers at minimum wage owning a home.
    This is a home-owning country. By your definition, we would have the biggest middle class in Europe, which is not the case.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.