Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    And what is considered upper-class?

merci

ReputationRep:
    Middle-class: Jeremy Paxman.

Upper-class: David Cameron.

ReputationRep:
    Oh god, so many ways you could classify it.

Wealth, Income, Capital, Culture, Oppourtunity, Skill level, Education, ascribed status, celebrity, power etc.

Personally I say home owners or skilled professionals are middle class
    Upper class is an ascribed status, for aristocracy, or in rare occasions the super-celebrity.

ReputationRep:
    This thread will not cause any dispute whatsoever :awesome:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Upper class has a much stricter definition, usually money and social standing. You can be middle class in so many ways....even if you just follow politics you're considered to be middle class!

ReputationRep:
    Millionaire = upper class, the end :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lou Reed)
    I don't get it... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Welsh_insomniac)
    I don't get it... :confused:
    Im guessing it's to do with voting behaviour? :confused: (Labour, Tories, greens...)

ReputationRep:
    Oh there are many levels to my picture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sver)
    I don't think being a millionaire is sufficient to be upper class.

(Original post by Sver)
    Just no. This isnt america. Class isnt money.

Wayne Rooney is not upper class. He just a rich chav.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    Oh god, so many ways you could classify it.

Wealth, Income, Capital, Culture, Oppourtunity, Skill level, Education, ascribed status, celebrity, power etc.

Personally I say home owners or skilled professionals are middle class
    Upper class is an ascribed status, for aristocracy, or in rare occasions the super-celebrity.
    Home owners? You'd hardly be middle class if you'd bought your council house.

Even a owning a better house than that wouldn't necessarily make you middle class, I don't think, considering how they handed out mortgages like sweets a few years ago.

(Original post by Camden Town)
    Middle-class: Jeremy Paxman.

Upper-class: David Cameron.
    Jeremy Paxman went to an extremely prestigious school and then Oxbridge too you know.. As did I.

All upper middle class.

ReputationRep:
    Above Lower Class, below Upper Class.

ReputationRep:
    The criteria to be upper class is wearing a top hat and monocle as casual wear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eric Arthur)
    Home owners? You'd hardly be middle class if you'd bought your council house.

Even a owning a better house than that wouldn't necessarily make you middle class, I don't think, considering how they handed out mortgages like sweets a few years ago.

I say if you've worked hard, saved well and paid off your mortgage you deserve the mantle of being middle class. It takes an appreciation of capital and a humble perserverence to pay off a mortgage, I'd say. You certainly won't get benefit scroungers and unskilled workers at minimum wage owning a home.

(Original post by sorafdfs)
    The criteria to be upper class is wearing a top hat and monocle as casual wear.
    You've forgotten the walking cane. Ive yet to wear a monocle sadly. It is an ambition.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.board67.com/forum/misc-bo...dle-class.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    I say if you've worked hard, saved well and paid off your mortgage you deserve the mantle of being middle class. It takes an appreciation of capital and a humble perserverence to pay off a mortgage, I'd say. You certainly won't get benefit scroungers and unskilled workers at minimum wage owning a home.
    This is a home-owning country. By your definition, we would have the biggest middle class in Europe, which is not the case.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.