Turn on thread page Beta

What is considered 'middle-class'? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Turdburger)
    Jeremy Paxman went to an extremely prestigious school and then Oxbridge too you know.. As did I.

All upper middle class.
    Education is neither a sufficient or necessary factor when it comes to determining social class.

ReputationRep:
    in a proffesional job, well educated generally needs to be university educated, owns a house, has a fair amount of disposable income, good manners, goes abroad on holiday every year, votes, eats out in restaurants

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    I say if you've worked hard, saved well and paid off your mortgage you deserve the mantle of being middle class. It takes an appreciation of capital and a humble perserverence to pay off a mortgage, I'd say. You certainly won't get benefit scroungers and unskilled workers at minimum wage owning a home.
    There are more people to the worker class than just unskilled workers and 'benefit scroungers'.

And what MadMatt said.

ReputationRep:
    to summarize this thread

upper: cuban cigar, monocle, whiskey, rocking chair

middle: cigarette, glasses, can of beer, sofa

lower: those candy sticks that look like cigs, squinting, your own urine, cushion made out of stray cats

ReputationRep:
    Barely anyone is upper class, only a handful of families in the country are (eg, people like the Rothschild, Cavendish, Howard, Seymour, Percy and Villiers families). You need more than several million to be anywhere near in my opinion, and no lottery winners - a title is required too.

Unfortunately, you can't join the upper classes, you are either born in it, or you aren't - I wasn't. Go on Wikipedia and read the explanation on there, I'd be gobsmacked if anyone on TSR genuinely fits that description. If your family isn't famous, and don't frequently crop up in history books, you aren't upper class. The same goes for "lower upper" or "middle upper" - which in my opinion don't exist, in reality there is only one "upper". People made up Middle Upper and Lower Upper so as they could try to include themselves in the Upper section, when really they are just Upper Middle (nobody ever claims to be Upper Lower, do they? ...)

Middle class on the other hand is much broader ....

In my opinion, the only groups that exist are:

Upper

Upper Middle
    Middle
    Lower Middle

Lower

ReputationRep:
    That's the traditional definition of upper class but I'd say it's more relaxed these days. You could include someone like Rupert Murdoch in upper class, probably.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Turdburger)
    Jeremy Paxman went to an extremely prestigious school and then Oxbridge too you know.. As did I.

All upper middle class.
    Yet still middle class

ReputationRep:
    Upper class is halfwit
    middle class that kenneth

money can't buy class, even though kenneth might be a fake.

also old money doesn't boast, new money does, hence why Kenneth goes on and on about it and Halfwit doesn't really mention it, but yet is way way richer.

ReputationRep:
    I always saw middle class as parents do jobs like lawyer, accountant, maybe teacher etc and kids go to private school or privately school educated.

I think children who go to rough comprehensive schools are brought up more working class because of the people they hang around with.

One of my mates parents earns good money in manual work, his earnings would say middle class but the way he is, is not middle class at all, chav like. Crap education, does manual jobs and has no middle class friends. brought up in rough school.

ReputationRep:
    Class is a state of mind. Its far too fluid to accurately measure these days. I also believe the working classes have all but died out in this country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hugh-Jackman)
    I always saw middle class as parents do jobs like lawyer, accountant, maybe teacher etc and kids go to private school or privately school educated.

I think children who go to rough comprehensive schools are brought up more working class because of the people they hang around with.

One of my mates parents earns good money in manual work, his earnings would say middle class but the way he is, is not middle class at all, chav like. Crap education, does manual jobs and has no middle class friends. brought up in rough school.
    exactly money doesnt equal class. i'd still say wayne rooney or someone was lower middle/working class.

also to be upper class you generally need a title, its more on social standing and old money.

ReputationRep:
    by the way this is halfwits house, it's actually really nice

http://www.wedding-venues.co.uk/oakleyhall

ReputationRep:
    Lower middle class = reads the Daily Mail XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lou Reed)
    to summarize this thread

upper: cuban cigar, monocle, whiskey, rocking chair
    All of these could describe my grandfather, who is far from upper class...

ReputationRep:
    Upper class is halfwit

also old money doesn't boast, new money does, hence why Kenneth goes on and on about it and Halfwit doesn't really mention it, but yet is way way richer.
    i think new money boast about it more cause they actually earn it them selves and worked harder to get it. there's no point some upper middle class guy like halfwit bragging about money when he was born into it. Kenneth is flossin' like a motherfuccer tho

ReputationRep:
    I have my associations for it...

Upper class - Lords and Ladies, the Ladette to Lady people(the ones they invite round all the time)
    Middle Class - Guardian, gardening, big house(on the edge of a town so its just in the countryside), posh accent, all the family goes to university, eats out at nice restuarants.
    Lower Class - the majority of people. The lower class has always been, and will always be the majority. I'd say I was lower class, but I think the family income, and general way of life would make us middle class if we lived in a less lower class area.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tha_Black_Shinobi)
    i think new money boast about it more cause they actually earn it them selves and worked harder to get it. there's no point some upper middle class guy like halfwit bragging about money when he was born into it. Kenneth is flossin' like a motherfuccer tho
    Or because money really has no meaning to Halfwit because it's never been a worry or a goal to have it.

kenneth sounds like a con-man

Well well, a bad penny always turns up. BB has got a real con artist here with Kenneth Tong ... Millionaire???... No way... he lived in Morningside, Edinburgh till about 6 weeks ago when he did a moon light scarper leaving a trail of unpaid rent, utility bill and debt... and we are talking serious cash here.

Playboy ..yes… he never worked in all the time I knew of him .. he just sat about all day and played with his play station

Well Educated... NOT ... he went to Fettes School Edinburgh and then on to Edinburgh university where he studied politics, don’t think he actually finished … but as for the rumoured FOUR degrees.. NO WAY

This guys is known in Edinburgh as a fake and a con man… he must have pulled one over BB or maybe he is a plant.. you never know.

Cant wait to watch the night of his eviction. He will be met by Divina and a host of debt collectors… lol

Keep an eye out on the tabloids … which one will be first to expose this con man ????

I think most people who do have a bit of money exaggerate anyways, buy a car a bit more than they can really afford etc Halfwit has real wealth and doesn't particularly care or need a feel to brag about it.

It's the equivalent of the poor kids at school wearing all their argos jewellery at once because they think it makes them look richer. Thats why chavs do it, they think wearing gold chains or many of them makes them look richer, when it's the opposite.

It's like my friends by horrible clothes from firecrap, superwhy, Henleys and G-Star-poor, why would you spend £80+ on crappy clothes just because they got a huge label on saying the make. They may as well leave the label in because it's just a 'look at me, look at me i'm not poor honestly, im wearing designer clothes, i spent over the odds because it has name on it, it proves im not a chav'.

Is there anything worse on the planet than that horrible henleys t-shirt where heleys is printen on in massive font over the t-shirt. Yeah to get it bigger we need to print it over the whole shirt not even as a whole word.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone presumes I am upper class, what with all the hunting, cigar smoking, brandy drinking, posh accent, black tie shinanigans....but in reality I come from a council estate with a household income of about £14,000 :tongue:

It depends really, after all people often define class by how you act at first more than anything else, like someone already said I would describe people like wayne rooney as working class despite vast amounts of cash.

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking at the shirt and i can't honestly see why someone would buy it rather than to say I've bought Henleys, they're a bit more expensive than non desinger clothes, it somehow proves that they're not poor or a chav.

I think all it shows is a fear of people thinking they're poor or something.

ReputationRep:
    Upper class is halfwit

I noticed this. Despite not being very wealthy myself I know it is not cool to flaunt your wealth. The thing about Kenneth is that he is old money, not as old as half wit, but still old money. He should know better, but for some reason he doesn't. I don't see how he doesn't realise that showing someone like Lisa a pair of 3k shoes when she is on 12k a year will not go down well.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.