Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadMatt)
    Upper class has a much stricter definition, usually money and social standing. You can be middle class in so many ways....even if you just follow politics you're considered to be middle class!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    I noticed this. Despite not being very wealthy myself I know it is not cool to flaunt your wealth. The thing about Kenneth is that he is old money, not as old as half wit, but still old money. He should know better, but for some reason he doesn't. I don't see how he doesn't realise that showing someone like Lisa a pair of 3k shoes when she is on 12k a year will not go down well.
    I don't really watch BB, what does he do, also where does the money come from then...the parents?? and how much have they got.

ReputationRep:
    O, and in answer to the question, you can generally tell what class someone is by the job that they do. I forget what the name of the classifer is but it goes something like this:

E - unemployed, lowest of the low.
    D- Manual Labour, lower class.
    C2 - Skilled Labour. Upper lower class.
    C1 - Skilled labour+managerial work. Lower middle class
    B - Junior professional, small business owner. Middle Class.
    A - Professional, large business owner. Upper Middle class.

Then of course upper class would have a definition aside from work. Which would generally involve getting your children schooled in 30k a year institutions, and owning large estates that employ a lot of people.

[EDIT] Wow, I was actually pretty close with my classifications:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NRS_social_grade

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hugh-Jackman)
    I don't really watch BB, what does he do, also where does the money come from then...the parents?? and how much have they got.
    He trades with his parents money. I think he is worth about 100 mil.

ReputationRep:
    When you can show your wallet to a girl and she'll follow you to the bedroom.

ReputationRep:
    seeing going off that^^ I'd put me as lower middle class even though my dad runs a small business. When i was growing up he didn't.

People just bunch middle class together but I'm nothing like a southern lad who's dad is a lawyer or something and plays golf on the weekend and sent his son to a private school or boarding school.

I went to a school in an old mining town where the mines had closed and unemployments was rife. Both my parents was brought up in sort of poor households, my mom in a council house, i think my dads family owned their house but was still poor. Most of my friends do manual jobs and virtually non went to university. 5 A-C's in my year was less than 30% as well.

ReputationRep:
    The definition of middle class:

- Anyone who owns a wine rack.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    He trades with his parents money. I think he is worth about 100 mil.
    I didn't think it was that rich, i thought he had a couple of mill tops. Im impressed now.

ReputationRep:
    what knid of job is a postal worker? is it just regual manual worker??

ReputationRep:
    I didn't think it was that rich, i thought he had a couple of mill tops. Im impressed now.
    I'd be impressed if he had made all that money himself. But it's really not hard to make 100m when you are given 50m to start with. I could even understand his brazen showing off if he was a self made man, but he is just a yuppy mummy's boy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miranda7719)
    what knid of job is a postal worker? is it just regual manual worker??
    C2/D? Sort of in between. I guess you'd go on how they behaved and spent their money.

ReputationRep:

I went to a school in an old mining town where the mines had closed and unemployments was rife. Both my parents was brought up in sort of poor households, my mom in a council house, i think my dads family owned their house but was still poor. Most of my friends do manual jobs and virtually non went to university. 5 A-C's in my year was less than 30% as well.
    My school was crap as well. Both my parents were in council houses growing up, but before Thatcher almost the whole country was just one big council estate. A lot of my friends have copped out and ended up in call centres, which is a bit of a shame.

ReputationRep:
    Some of my friends are doing good, some are doing terrible and getting inn a rut and they're intelligent lads as well.

I was in a bit of a rut for 2 yrs, but doing my accounting course at college with work based training. Once i got that sorted im going to a big city and trying to get a good job. Whether that happens is another matter. Going down your own business route is definitely very rewarding if it comes off.

ReputationRep:
    I dont think class really depends on what your background is (unless you are upper) as we lived in a council estate for 15 years and have only just moved to a larger house which can be termed as middle class-ish, I do go to a private school, but that is due to my huge scholarship/bursary, yet I will probbably end up as a middle class professional....Class isn't something that you are given, it is something that you can make for yourself, you are born without class, and as you develop you put yourself into the class whivh will be best for you.

sorry if I went on a bit......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tha_Black_Shinobi)
    i think new money boast about it more cause they actually earn it them selves and worked harder to get it. there's no point some upper middle class guy like halfwit bragging about money when he was born into it. Kenneth is flossin' like a motherfuccer tho
    Agreeeed. Seriously, how could anyone ever brag about inherited money, which they've never added to or helped maintain, simply detracted from? Spikey business..

It's the equivalent of the poor kids at school wearing all their argos jewellery at once because they think it makes them look richer. Thats why chavs do it, they think wearing gold chains or many of them makes them look richer, when it's the opposite.

Spoiler:
    Show
    It's like my friends by horrible clothes from firecrap, superwhy, Henleys and G-Star-poor, why would you spend £80+ on crappy clothes just because they got a huge label on saying the make. They may as well leave the label in because it's just a 'look at me, look at me i'm not poor honestly, im wearing designer clothes, i spent over the odds because it has name on it, it proves im not a chav'.

Is there anything worse on the planet than that horrible henleys t-shirt where heleys is printen on in massive font over the t-shirt. Yeah to get it bigger we need to print it over the whole shirt not even as a whole word.
    Lol classic post, and so true. Hence why brand names such as Prada and Rolex are starting to deteriorate in the public eye, to the point where certain clubs bar Prada shoes as pat of the dress code.

ReputationRep:
    Driving a Renault Scenic, reading The Guardian, shopping at Sainsbury's and living in a house with three bedrooms or more.

The term 'upper class' is nothing to do with income, qualifications or profession. It means you have a hereditary title or a title you worked very hard for. You'll also be likely to ow acres of land and a stately home.

The term 'middle class' is these days irrelevant to your profession as manual work can earn a lot of money. It is defined by living a life where you do not have to worry about making ends meet, with plenty of spare cash for holidays, cars and eating out.

The term 'working class' is usually relevant to profession as most people in this class do manual work. There may occasionally be a person who works part-time in an office but doesn't bring in much income. They usually receive enough to get by, buy decent clothes and go drinking but extravagant cars, holidays and new houses are a rare purchase.

'Underclass' refers to those who do not earn money. This may not necessarily be their fault but they have to make ends meet on a small amount of benefit money as they cannot work themselves.

ReputationRep:
    would i be allowed in since my shoes cost me a tenna, jeans are normally £15-£20 and a shirt usually the same.

The only piece of branded clothes I've got is a pair of K-swiss trainers which are completely black and you can't really see the logo and i bought them for like £15 off the internet.

Only time I'd spend lots on clothes is if i was buying an expensive suite because work wanted me to(they haven't as of yet) or i was buying a nice shirt that was tailor made, but im sure i could find that for cheap.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.imprint.co.uk/books/Abdication_intro.pdf

Interesting read

ReputationRep:
    Upper class:
    A person who considers themself superior to others because of their bloodline and family name.
    They love to show it off too, by playing sports no other class can play and sending their children to schools no other class can afford.

Middle class:
    A person who considers themself to be superior to others because they have a "professional job" and because they pretend to have a sort of social conscience.
    They have a very subtle way of showing off their superiority by pretending to be humble. In reality they´re very competitive and will do anything to get one up on their neighbours.

Working class:
    A person who considers themself to be superior to others because they come from a hard background and had to "fight to survive" and because people who weren´t brought up on council estates are "ponces"
    They like to show off their superiority by showing how "hard" they are, by drinking more than the next guy and, if they get some money, by buying outrageously expensive sports cars, jewelry, clothes....

(Original post by Camden Town)
    Education is neither a sufficient or necessary factor when it comes to determining social class.
    While I agree, going to a famous boarding school is a massive indictator of middle-classness if not proving it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.