Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I have a place to study English with Theatre Studies but I am contemplating changing my course just to english, as I have not studied theatre at A Level.

I have just finished an Access to Higher Education Diploma and subsequently, I feel in a weaker position than my fellow students who have (presumably) 2 years of Theatre study behind them, whereas I have no recent experience. I originally took the course hoping to balance my need for both the academic and practical, however I worry that I don't have enough basic knowledge in theatre and would be better off studying English alone.

Can anyone advise me on this issue, and is anyone studying English and Theatre studies this year? Also, is there anyone coming to Leeds this year from a none-A Level background?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tootsletoot)
    Hello, I have a place to study English with Theatre Studies but I am contemplating changing my course just to english, as I have not studied theatre at A Level.

I have just finished an Access to Higher Education Diploma and subsequently, I feel in a weaker position than my fellow students who have (presumably) 2 years of Theatre study behind them, whereas I have no recent experience. I originally took the course hoping to balance my need for both the academic and practical, however I worry that I don't have enough basic knowledge in theatre and would be better off studying English alone.

Can anyone advise me on this issue, and is anyone studying English and Theatre studies this year? Also, is there anyone coming to Leeds this year from a none-A Level background?
    I'm just about to go into second year English and Theatre! The course is really competitive, so if you've got a place then that means they can see you've got the potential to do well on it. Everyone I know on the course LOVES it, and it's much easier to make friends on this course than it is on straight English, as you're a small group and get to interact lots during workshops. The lectures/workshops/seminars are all really interesting and loads of fun as well, especially in first year which is kind of like an introductory year to get you up to scratch for second and third year. Marks don't count in first year, all you need to do is pass, so although everyone wants to do as well as they can, it's more like a year of settling in and adjusting to working at university level for everyone.

Quite a few people in my year didn't study theatre A2 or AS level and they've had no problems. Like with a lot of subjects, studying at degree level is a lot different to how you're taught at school/college, and I would guess in your case with the Access course, so it's a different way of learning for everyone when you start. So I wouldn't worry about feeling disadvantaged - everyone has to make some sort of adjustment. In the first few theatre lectures they help you brush up on some of the basics of theatre and will teach you how to assess plays and start thinking about theatre objectively. It's all about your personal responses and opinions to texts and performances too, and your own ideas. No one cares about how you got here or what qualifications you have/grades you got, and age doesn't come into it either. I can promise you you won't be disadvantaged and you'll be surprised how quickly you adapt. I did do theatre A level, but I wouldn't say it helped me that much, not to the extent that it's given me any noticeable advantage of those who didn't study it at least. You've got the ability, and that's what counts.

So, in short, don't switch courses on the basis that you haven't done theatre A Level - it's not important, or needed. If it was, they'd specify you had to do it! I'd say stick with the course for now - and if you're not enjoying it for whatever reason then you shouldn't have a problem switching to straight English in the first semester, 2 people did that this year in the first term. It's a really great course - fun, sociable and so interesting, and I'm so glad I chose it instead of just English Lit.

PM me if you want to find out more, can fill you in on anything you want to know!

ReputationRep:
    I did straight English at Leeds, but the English/Theatre Studies course sounded great. I definitely wouldn't feel intimidated! You've been given a place on the course, which means you have every chance of doing very well on it. Be confident!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you both for the messages, I am now feeling much more positive and excited about my course!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.