Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is he too old?? (Girls and guys what do you think of this age-gap?) Watch

Basically, keeping it short,

I met a guy a few weeks ago, and we have been speaking everyday since then, and he's really great. He's told me he really likes me and wants to get together etc....

and i was actually considering it, as i really like him, but i found out he's almost 30 (turns 30 on friday), and now im not sure anymore. I'm only 18 myself, so to me, the age-gap seems a lot. He doesn't seem to mind, though he says he would understand it if i didnt want a relationship because of his age,

Sad thing is he's perfect, everything i want in a guy, but i just cant get over the age-thing, maybe i can, but i dont know, i mean, he's closer to my mum's age than mine.

So, what do you guys think about the age gap (12 yrs) - yay or nay!!

ReputationRep:
    Well personally I wouldn't because for me that age gap is too much! But I do know someone who was in the exact same position as you, she was 18 and he was 30 and they're still together and have a child nearly 20 years on! So it really is up to you how you feel comfortable about the age gap =]

ReputationRep:
    why should 12 years be an issue your 18 so your an adult

if you like him then age shouldnt be a issue - its not like hes ready for a zimmer frame

ReputationRep:
    too old, when he'll be 40, you'll be 28!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Basically, keeping it short,

I met a guy a few weeks ago, and we have been speaking everyday since then, and he's really great. He's told me he really likes me and wants to get together etc....

and i was actually considering it, as i really like him, but i found out he's almost 30 (turns 30 on friday), and now im not sure anymore. I'm only 18 myself, so to me, the age-gap seems a lot. He doesn't seem to mind, though he says he would understand it if i didnt want a relationship because of his age,

Sad thing is he's perfect, everything i want in a guy, but i just cant get over the age-thing, maybe i can, but i dont know, i mean, he's closer to my mum's age than mine.

So, what do you guys think about the age gap (12 yrs) - yay or nay!!

It's basically down to you. For me it wouldn't be a problem at all, in fact I generally prefer older men, but I realise that's not the norm.

If he's that perfect though, surely giving it a chance can't hurt, what's the worst thing that can happen, you'll date for a few weeks, it's not as if you're deciding on professing your ever-lasting love for him..

ReputationRep:
    I'm 21 and my bf is 37 and I forget about the age difference when I'm with him, like it's the least important thing in the world

ReputationRep:
    30/2=15
    15+7=22

You're four years off, so lots of people probably wouldn't think its acceptable, but if you're happy with it, then its fine. Its really up to you, but thats what I use if someone asks

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't of said the age gap will matter if you are in love. I know people who have an age gap of more than 20 years and they love each other etc. etc. But its up to personal preference really.

ReputationRep:
    It depends.

What are you doing with your life at the moment? Are you at university, planning to travel, getting a job, still playing the field?

What is he doing? Already set in a career, done his travelling, ready to settle down and have children?

In other words, do you both want the same things at this stage in your lives? If you don't, then walk away as it always ends in tears. You will resent him for stopping you from doing the things that you wanted to do and he will resent you, if you do the things that you want to do.

It's not worth the hassle.

ReputationRep:
    Usually the age gap isnt a problem at first, especially when the person is just a boyfriend, but from my experience many relationships with large age gaps start falling apart when it gets more serious, as at different ages you often want different things. It depends entirely on the personalities of the people involved but you should be aware of the age gap and talk to him about what he wants out of life and more importantly the timescale involved (if he wanted to settle down and have a family within 5 years would you be happy with that etc, and think carefully about if what you want can fit with that.

Of course you could just have fun, run with it and deal with all that crap later.

I wish you luck.

ReputationRep:
    From about the age of 20-21, pretty much any age gap is virtually meaningless, at least for the first couple of years of a relationship. When it comes to having kids though, sheer economics will ensure that the younger of the couple ends up staying at home, as is the case with me....

As to 18 and almost 30? Tough call that one, but with him being a bloke you can be sure that if you do start going out his mates will be green with envy... Not sure how long it would last though, but that's no reason not to try starting something...

ReputationRep:
    Im so glad that ive seen this page, it caught my eye straight away

My name is kim, im seventeen years old. While working i "fell" for a bar man at my pub, he is 33. Which is twice my age. On my 18th birthday he is going to ask me out and make it offical but untill then we are still doing couple things for instance, sleepovers, cinemas, meals, picnics, walks and so on. It is like we are already a couple. He doesnt accept other peoples numbers and he isnt looking for anyone else. Some people may find this disgusting but he and i are happy My parents arent too happy with it, but who knows hat could happen
    As long as your both happy then thats all that should matter well in my opinion x

ReputationRep:
    It's not as if you're at the age where you need to think about settling down, if you want to have fun then have fun. You're an adult so a 12 year age gap should really be too shocking.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 19 on monday. The guy I like is 30. But to be honest, he's completely perfect. It doesn't matter about the age it's about how they make you feel and about how you work together.
    As Geri Halliwell said to Nelson Mandela; you're only as old as the girl you feel :P
    x

ReputationRep:
    No, Id say. Hes going to be looking at settling down/starting a family whilst your still realistically just a kid at 18. At least, compared to him

ReputationRep:
    Too much.

ReputationRep:
    i'd go for it :yy: sounds like he'll make you happy.

ReputationRep:
    Also, there was some research done recently that found men who marry women who are approx. 12 to 14 years younger than them (give or take half a year either side) live longer than men who marry women closer to their age.
    It doesn't work for women, if we date someone younger we die younger apparently.

Interesting and it makes me feel a bit warm inside

x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pip_x)
    Also, there was some research done recently that found men who marry women who are approx. 12 to 14 years younger than them (give or take half a year either side) live longer than men who marry women closer to their age.
    It doesn't work for women, if we date someone younger we die younger apparently.

Interesting and it makes me feel a bit warm inside

x

:eek:

ReputationRep:
    I think the fact you have to ask isn't such a good sign. It can definitely work if you're not bothered by it and if you're reasonably mature anyway, it's all down to the individuals. I got asked out by a guy 7 years older than me the other day, and I wouldn't have guessed he was any older then me really, it all depends on how much you notice it! If you're constantly aware of the gap and worrying about it, it's not going to last well.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.