Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is he too old?? (Girls and guys what do you think of this age-gap?) Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dymphna)
    30/2=15
    15+7=22
    lmao :P saw that on QI, the other day XD

But OP i think it's a tad bit too much of an age difference..but then again i know people who have had the same sort of age gap and stayed together for a very long time.

ReputationRep:
    I say go for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Basically, keeping it short,

I met a guy a few weeks ago, and we have been speaking everyday since then, and he's really great. He's told me he really likes me and wants to get together etc....

and i was actually considering it, as i really like him, but i found out he's almost 30 (turns 30 on friday), and now im not sure anymore. I'm only 18 myself, so to me, the age-gap seems a lot. He doesn't seem to mind, though he says he would understand it if i didnt want a relationship because of his age,

Sad thing is he's perfect, everything i want in a guy, but i just cant get over the age-thing, maybe i can, but i dont know, i mean, he's closer to my mum's age than mine.

So, what do you guys think about the age gap (12 yrs) - yay or nay!!

He's not too old, but if its irritating for you then you're obviously too young.

ReputationRep:
    he wants you for young fresh sex, and nothing else.
    so, walk away from him.

ReputationRep:
    If you really like him and he really likes you, you shouldnt even consider the age gap. Yes people may look weird at you but at the end of the day if you can both make each other happy who cares about anyone else.

ReputationRep:
    When you were 10, he was 22...

:lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    go for it.... but it probably wont work..other things get in the way.
    the age gap isnt a problem but it creates other problems.. i dont regret being with someone who was also 12 yrs older than me but it did screw up because of me going to Uni, him wanted to settle down. that sorta thing.. but i dunno.. if its meant to be it will happen.

thanks guys, i appreciate al your comments.

will have a chat with him 2moro hopefully and see what happens, but i think il be able 2 get over the age-gap issue, i was just really shocked at first.
    i will defo ask where he wants 2 be in five years because if its family, kids etc.then our lives are going in completely different directions, so then there would be no point of the relationship.
    because in 5 yrs i will only just be graduating, as im doing medicine

but once again, thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Basically, keeping it short,

I met a guy a few weeks ago, and we have been speaking everyday since then, and he's really great. He's told me he really likes me and wants to get together etc....

and i was actually considering it, as i really like him, but i found out he's almost 30 (turns 30 on friday), and now im not sure anymore. I'm only 18 myself, so to me, the age-gap seems a lot. He doesn't seem to mind, though he says he would understand it if i didnt want a relationship because of his age,

Sad thing is he's perfect, everything i want in a guy, but i just cant get over the age-thing, maybe i can, but i dont know, i mean, he's closer to my mum's age than mine.

So, what do you guys think about the age gap (12 yrs) - yay or nay!!

Well I was seeing a guy where there was a 9 year age gap :confused: , but i ended it because it would of been too hard to have a relationship and many of my friends wern't so keen
    It depends on how much you like him!!! At least your 18 so it should't be too much of a problem i guess?
    xx

ReputationRep:
    If you like him and he likes you, you should give it a try. I know several couples with pretty much the same age difference that have been together for a long time and everything's just right. It depends on how both of you will deal with the relationship. I thik you may regret it if you don't try.

'love has reasons that the heart knows nothing about'

ReputationRep:
    I think if you've got similar interests and things going on in your life then it shouldn't let it worry you. I was with a 28 year old during my A Levels and our relationship worked for a year and a half.

If you're happy - go for it. I personally don't think it's too much of a gap, you're both adults after all.

My brother is 20 and his girlfriend is 29. If you never knew already you probably wouldn't even recognise it between them.

ReputationRep:
    I find the woman being older doesn't work so much. I had a bf who I was older than and it ended. My brother was 7 ish years younger than his ex-fiance and it ended baaaadly

ReputationRep:
    18-30

your levels of maturity will be very different.

avoid him.

ReputationRep:
    Every single relationship is different.
    Just because of age, we can't tell. I would be careful though as you have provided some quite vague information. Make sure you know about his friends/life a lot more (maybe even completely) before you try anything.

ReputationRep:
    If you're both on the same 'level' it should be ok. Personally I would feel uncomfortable in such a situation for a 'normal' relationship anyway.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.