Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mipegg)
    Yes, I know personally 5 or 6 and through friends about 20 total girls who have gotten lower offers than entry requirements for science yet only 2 boys.

As for the 'nothing special' part what I mean is she doesnt have very good GCSEs, nor any sport, work experience, volunteering, extra curricular stuff. She has nothing to make her stand out from anyone else with average grades. Nor did she have an interview.

Iv always been told by teachers and such that girls tend to prefer a cyclical education model. Which is what we currently have in schools
    Girls also do far better at coursework. You can see that as curriculums have gone further and further towards being CW based females grades have increased way beyond what males have.

ReputationRep:
    Are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way? My mother for instance is one of those people. She is a truck driver that has bad knees and a bad back from driving the truck but you probably do not care about that case either. Oh well I am not one of those people I am 6'4" 245lbs and I exercise every day. I would love to see you say something like to my mother in front of me. Probably never happen though you are probably just an internet tough guy. I doubt very seriously you would say that to someones face. Just my thought.What do you think. Oh I am sorry you probably do not have a brain. I on the other hand will be happy to buy you a plane ticket to come here and see if you have the nerve to say that to someone I know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bodybuilder22)
    Are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way? My mother for instance is one of those people. She is a truck driver that has bad knees and a bad back from driving the truck but you probably do not care about that case either. Oh well I am not one of those people I am 6'4" 245lbs and I exercise every day. I would love to see you say something like to my mother in front of me. Probably never happen though you are probably just an internet tough guy. I doubt very seriously you would say that to someones face. Just my thought.What do you think. Oh I am sorry you probably do not have a brain. I on the other hand will be happy to buy you a plane ticket to come here and see if you have the nerve to say that to someone I know
    What are you talking about? More to the point who are you talking to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    Incase you are interested, the only study into the topic of why there is a pay gap concluded that if women worked the same hours as men, travelled as much, worked in the same danger, and didn't have children, they would in fact be paid 127% of a man. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_..._Men_Earn_More

Further to this over half the jobs in the city are taken by women. Most scientific thought on the topic as to why women jack in their careers to care for children indicates that a chemical known as 'PEA' is released in their brain when they have and nurture their children. PEA is thought to be as addictive as heroin. PEA is not released in men and this is why they are less likely to want to stay at home and look after the children, also if it interests you, it is why they are less likely to enjoy a hug as much as a woman, or a bar of chocolate.

There are hundreds of different ways in which men are now discriminated against, but their voices aren't heard because feminists are still rabbling on about something that was over a long time ago. Here is a short list of the problems faced by men:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masculi...ulist_concerns
    The research of Warren Farrel seems very interesting. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    What are you talking about? More to the point who are you talking to?
    I am talking about my mother. It is not her fault that she is that way. A victim of feminist oppression?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bodybuilder22)
    Are you retarded?

ReputationRep:
    The feminist 'philosopher' Luce Irigaray is another who gets whole-chapter treatment from Sokal and Bricmont. In a passage reminiscent of a notorious feminist description of Newton's Principia (a 'rape manual'), Irigaray argues that E=mc2 is a 'sexed equation'. Why? Because 'it privileges the speed of light over other speeds that are vitally necessary to us' (my emphasis of what I am rapidly coming to learn is an 'in' word). Just as typical of this school of thought is Irigaray's thesis on fluid mechanics. Fluids, you see, have been unfairly neglected. 'Masculine physics' privileges rigid, solid things. Her American expositor Katherine Hayles made the mistake of re-expressing Irigaray's thoughts in (comparatively) clear language. For once, we get a reasonably unobstructed look at the emperor and, yes, he has no clothes:
    uh what.

fwiw source is here

ReputationRep:
    Lets see

Men are 4 out of 5 suicides
    For every 100 men going to university there are 150 women
    Over 90% of work place deaths are male
    Look what happens to men in child custody cases.
    There is a financial incentive for a woman to deny access to children in a custody case.
    We (despite being more successful in education in the past) are now failing, yet nothing is being done
    Men are 4 times more likely to be a victim of a violent crime
    Men who are falsely accused of rape have no recourse to seek compensation.
    Men are far less likely to see their doctor when something is wrong.
    Male only conscription can be mandated both here and in the US.
    Chivalry thesis in law enforcement.
    I could go on.

Men and women, are for the same work, paid the same. It does not make sense to pay a man more. For example lets say I own a company that produces units. If it costs me 50p in labour for a woman to produce a unit and 70p for a man to do the same, why would I employ men, if I can pay women less? Suddenly the pay gap idea looks silly.

ReputationRep:
    Feminism isn't about putting women before men. I don't know where Elipsis got that idea from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DisgruntledMoth)
    Feminism isn't about putting women before men. I don't know where Elipsis got that idea from.
    The 'fem' part kind of gives it away. To say that it is there to promote equality for all is a bare faced lie. Everything it has ever done has put women before men, for instance breast cancer gets 600 times more funding than prostate cancer despite it killing just as many people. Even if feminism was just about getting the same rights that men have it also has the flip side of being about shirking the responsibilities that come with that right, take WWI and the suffragete movement for instance; they gained women the vote whilst managing to keep conscription male only, meaning they didn't have to defend their vote - the key responsibility if you're a voter.

ReputationRep:
    The 'fem' part kind of gives it away. To say that it is there to promote equality for all is a bare faced lie. Everything it has ever done has put women before men, for instance breast cancer gets 600 times more funding than prostate cancer despite it killing just as many people. Even if feminism was just about getting the same rights that men have it also has the flip side of being about shirking the responsibilities that come with that right, take WWI and the suffragete movement for instance; they gained women the vote whilst managing to keep conscription male only, meaning they didn't have to defend their vote - the key responsibility if you're a voter.
    How can you claim that an intention of feminism was to shirk 'male' responsibilities, like being conscripted to war? So many other elements are tied up in warfare, and it's not women who decided that conscription was a male role. (For example, if the vast majority of men die at war, the population can still continue through the sperm production of a few men, whereas the reverse isn't possible. Not that I necessarily agree with such overly rational thinking, but it's more than the shirking of responsibility.) Women today still fight for the right to be on the front line, and be valued as members of the armed police and so on.

ReputationRep:
    30 years ago, feminism was needed. You cannot deny that. Women were even lower than slaves tbh. Then, the aim was for equality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Walkin'Butterfly)
    30 years ago, feminism was needed. You cannot deny that. Women were even lower than slaves tbh. Then, the aim was for equality.
    I know that feminism was needed, but to say that they were lower than slaves is a bit of a joke to be honest. Almost all consumer spending was and is driven by women, what kind of slave gets to drive demands for almost an entire economy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DisgruntledMoth)
    How can you claim that an intention of feminism was to shirk 'male' responsibilities, like being conscripted to war? So many other elements are tied up in warfare, and it's not women who decided that conscription was a male role. (For example, if the vast majority of men die at war, the population can still continue through the sperm production of a few men, whereas the reverse isn't possible. Not that I necessarily agree with such overly rational thinking, but it's more than the shirking of responsibility.) Women today still fight for the right to be on the front line, and be valued as members of the armed police and so on.
    I know that is how it works, and i'm not adversed to it being like that. My point was that men and women are different, and therefore their responsibilities are different. Whether women like it or not they are still reliant on men to protect their rights. You make a good point about the front lines, did you know that despite not serving anywhere remotely dangerous they get the same pay? They also have lower entry requirements. I wonder how feminists would feel if the shoe was on the other foot.

ReputationRep:
    Feminism is total trash. It promotes inequality rather than equality, and its only aim is to put women in front of men, which it is doing in many respects.
    I think you'll find that what you're talking about here is adrogyny, not real feminism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    I think you'll find that what you're talking about here is adrogyny, not real feminism.
    No I am talking about the results of feminism in our society; it has put women ahead of men in many respects, and it isn't going to stop. Whether or not this was their aim in the first place is questionable, but the result is pretty undeniable.

ReputationRep:
    If you believe in all those things you listed you are egalitarian. Feminism, as the name suggests, is all about putting women first. I think the 'fem' part gives it away a tad... Feminism has done nothing for men, whatsoever.
    No it isn't - it is about equality between the sexes.

ReputationRep:
    No I am talking about the results of feminism in our society; it has put women ahead of men in many respects, and it isn't going to stop. Whether or not this was their aim in the first place is questionable, but the result is pretty undeniable.
    In what respects, then? I would agree, in some cases. The most obvious one being with childcare and legal custody, but I can't think of many more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    In what respects, then? I would agree, in some cases. The most obvious one being with childcare and legal custody, but I can't think of many more.
    Check out the wikipedia Masculinism page.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    No it isn't - it is about equality between the sexes.
    The name has fem in it, it is quite clearly not aimed at getting men anything. If you want to test out your theory that it champions both sides why don't you look at what it has accomplished for men? Nothing, it has only taken away their rights; for instance in America women can have a child that you're the father to without you ever knowing, and as if that's not bad enough they can knock on your door 10-20 years later and demand retrospective child support payments. Now that's what I call feminism fighting for equality.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.