Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    The name has fem in it, it is quite clearly not aimed at getting men anything. If you want to test out your theory that it champions both sides why don't you look at what it has accomplished for men? Nothing, it has only taken away their rights; for instance in America women can have a child that you're the father to without you ever knowing, and as if that's not bad enough they can knock on your door 10-20 years later and demand retrospective child support payments. Now that's what I call feminism fighting for equality.
    The reason feminism has not brought men anything is because men had and still have everything. They had the right to vote, to own their own property and to retain custody of their children. For feminism to achieve its goal of equality between the sexes, women had to get something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    The reason feminism has not brought men anything is because men had and still have everything. They had the right to vote, to own their own property and to retain custody of their children. For feminism to achieve its goal of equality between the sexes, women had to get something.
    Children aren't shared out equally though. Thanks to feminism we have gone in the other direction. Men don't have everything, I fail to see what they have that women don't? I can see a lot of facts and figures that show men are losing out but the areas in which women are percieved to be discriminated against in, such as equal pay, have an explanation.

I mean, if mens are lives were and are so much easier than womens why do they commit 4/5 suicides and die on average 7 years younger than women? This is why I think egalitarianism is the way forwards, that way men can get a look in, because whenever they try they are laughed off the television or battled all the way by feminists.

ReputationRep:
    The question is about feminist theory. Angry angry rants about the purpose of feminism aren't really helpful.

(Original post by RaisinPilot)
    So I'm not exactly a hardcore feminist, but I was working my way through a book on literary theory and was quite interested in it as a concept. I'm halfway through A Room with a View now; can anyone recommend anything else?
    There was a thread I remember about feminist literature here. The Second Sex by de Beauvoir - which was recommended above - is a big text within the area. Also, I think Gilbert & Gubar and Elaine Showalter are quite important, so you could look at those. You can get feminist readers (i.e. anthologies of key essays and book extracts) too which may be an easier introduction to the topic.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.