Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    during 94-98 was untouchable and undoubtably the greatest band in the world at that time.

/discuss

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScotlandStandUp)
    during 94-98 was untouchable and undoubtably the greatest band in the world at that time.

/discuss
    Not as far as 98. But yeah, they were good. So were The Verve tbh. Maybe they were worlds best band. Any others you can think of?

Definitely contenders, not that I think it should be a competition. After all, some bands are incomparable, and trying to do so is just plain silly. Don't make generalisations and completely ignore other bands, but yes, definitely one of the best and most successful at that time. No band should ever claim to be the best, however.

They were untouchable because they had the musical form of leprosy, which can mutate and cause drab and thoughtless lyricism and mindless guitar rock, not because they were "the greatest band in the world".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cowboy Dan)
    No.
    This.

PS. Guess who I'm a fan of :awesome: lulz...

No, but seriously - they're a good band, but actually I much prefer their more recent stuff as opposed to their 90's days - 'Fade Away' is the only track from back then that I think is excellent. Their other stuff was catchy but it didn't really have much effect on me.

ReputationRep:
    My personal opinion would be that Pantera were better during the particular period you mentioned

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glutamic Acid)
    They were untouchable because they had the musical form of leprosy, which can mutate and cause drab and thoughtless lyricism and mindless guitar rock, not because they were "the greatest band in the world".
    I think thaTS HARSH.

Bring it on down
    Teh masterplan
    Slide away
    Fade Away etc

They are great songs

ReputationRep:
    I've never liked them.

ReputationRep:
    Meh.

They were ok. Not brilliant, not rubbish. Just overrated.

ReputationRep:
    What, because I don't agree with you? And you obviously haven't listened to enough music to make a sweeping statement like you did.
    Are you an idiot or just some pathetic troll?

Read my first post and read what you've just written.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScotlandStandUp)
    Are you an idiot or just some pathetic troll?

Read my first post and read what you've just written.
    I don't see the problem. I replied "no", as in, no they were not the greatest band in the world during that period in my opinion, I'm sure even sensible Oasis fans (such as 'Champange Supernova' who posted earlier) would agree that they were not 'undoubtably (sic) the greatest band in the world at that time".

Now, are you going to reply with something intelligent or just keep calling me an idiot because I disagree with you? Because if it's the latter, I think it's you that's the pathetic troll.

And if you want me to elaborate on my original post, here are some bands I think were making far more interesting music during that time period you mentioned:

Radiohead, Pavement, Yo La Tengo, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Manic Street Preachers, Beck, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Modest Mouse, Spiritualized, Blur, I could probably go on but it's not worth the effort.

Your turn. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Dear God, no.

I don't see the problem. I replied "no", as in, no they were not the greatest band in the world during that period in my opinion, I'm sure even sensible Oasis fans (such as 'Champange Supernova' who posted earlier) would agree that they were not 'undoubtably (sic) the greatest band in the world at that time".

Now, are you going to reply with something intelligent or just keep calling me an idiot because I disagree with you? Because if it's the latter, I think it's you that's the pathetic troll.

And if you want me to elaborate on my original post, here are some bands I think were making far more interesting music during that time period you mentioned:

Radiohead, Pavement, Yo La Tengo, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Manic Street Preachers, Beck, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Modest Mouse, Spiritualized, Blur, I could probably go on but it's not worth the effort.

Your turn. :awesome:
    Yep, I agree with most of the sentiments in that post.

I've also highlighted the bands I'd pick out as being great influences of that period. :top:

ReputationRep:
    I was pretty young but I know which songs came out from that period you mentioned anyway. Oasis were very good but hardly 'untouchable'.. Damon Albarn can testify to that

ReputationRep:
    Blur > Oasis.

End of discussion. Go away!

Overrated, but still one of the best bands in the country, and one of the best live acts I've seen.

ReputationRep:
    Blur, Foo Fighters, and RHCP ruled that age i'm afraid.

(Original post by Mr Otter)
    Blur > Oasis.

End of discussion. Go away!
    QFT

ReputationRep:
    Radiohead relased OK Computer in 1997, and The Bends in 1995. Nuff said.

ReputationRep:
    Blur are better overall, but Definitely Maybe > Parklife. None of the members of Blur are idiots either.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.