Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I have an unexpected £40 going spare so am thinking of investing in some new decent foundation.

I am thinking possibly Prescriptives or Clinique....but there are SO many I don't know where to start? I have oily/combination skin with the occasional spot if that makes any difference. Looking for medium coverage.

Any suggestions of what works for you would be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Clinique, for sure - I think it's called Less Makeup or something like that: basically it 'works' on your skin at the same time as looking good, so over time you need less of it. I'll look it up.

EDIT: Even Better Make-up. It's exceptional, honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RaisinPilot)
    Clinique, for sure - I think it's called Less Makeup or something like that: basically it 'works' on your skin at the same time as looking good, so over time you need less of it. I'll look it up.

EDIT: Even Better Make-up. It's exceptional, honest.
    This sounds really good, I may try it :yes:

Clinique Repairwear is reallllly good. I use it, and it's probably the best I've ever used. It says it's for anti-aging, but it's not really heavy or anything. I think it's brill, quite pricey though.

I'd definitely recommend Clinique though. I think with foundation, you get what you pay for.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't get on well with Clinique as it brought me out in red blotches!! Just a thought here seeing as you have some cash to invest, have you ever considered a primer? Its not something most of us would get i admit but seeing as you've got the money it may be worth it as this would settle your skin regardless of what foundation you use and as you have oily skin it will also help to keep the foundation on without patching the way it does on oily skin. Hope that helps?!

ReputationRep:
    I have prescriptives virtual skin which is really good. I think they do another one specially for oily skin which provides more coverage but i forget what it's called o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chez87)
    Hi all, I have an unexpected £40 going spare so am thinking of investing in some new decent foundation.

I am thinking possibly Prescriptives or Clinique....but there are SO many I don't know where to start? I have oily/combination skin with the occasional spot if that makes any difference. Looking for medium coverage.

Any suggestions of what works for you would be greatly appreciated.
    My skin type is similar to yours.
    I use clinique Superfit Make-Up foundation. it's about £21 and is for oily/combination skin. I find it works really well with Neutrogena Oil Free moisturiser which is about £4 from Superdrug/Boots. I put them both on in the morning and my face is covered for most of the day and doesn't get oily at all. It gives medium coverage and it doesn't make u caked at all, and a little bit goes a long way, mines lasted me ages!
    http://www.clinique.co.uk/templates/...T_ID=PROD90848
    Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    Thank you everyone for your replies! I am looking on the Clinique website, torn between everything that has been suggested so far!! I will probably have to take a trip to Boots and see what the sales assistant suggest.

Oh and "im_hungry" I am going to buy a primer too the no. 7 anti-shine one!

ReputationRep:
    Clinique is a brand I as a makeup artist AND makeup wearer wouldn't touch. Their skin products are extremely harsh, so I dread to think what their makeup is like.

That said, Prescriptives is always one I turn to. I use Virtual Skin, but they do several different foundations for varying skin tones and types.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    Clinique is a brand I as a makeup artist AND makeup wearer wouldn't touch. Their skin products are extremely harsh, so I dread to think what their makeup is like.
    wow seriously? i had no idea.. clinique always market themselves as being different to that!

if you don't mind me asking which brands do you use/recommend?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariangel)
    wow seriously? i had no idea.. clinique always market themselves as being different to that!

if you don't mind me asking which brands do you use/recommend?
    I use mainly Chanel, MAC and Prescriptives and obviously recommend them all!

ReputationRep:

That said, Prescriptives is always one I turn to. I use Virtual Skin, but they do several different foundations for varying skin tones and types.
    I know how you swear by Prescriptives! When I typed it in the search function 9 out of 10 of the posts was from you lol.

I know alot of people recommend Prescriptives...I am just torn!

ReputationRep:
    I use mainly Chanel, MAC and Prescriptives and obviously recommend them all!
    thanks!

i use mac all the time, i adore it.. its the only range that has a match for my skintone:yes:

ReputationRep:
    i have diorskin nude and its great looks like you hardly have any on i don't know what skin colour you have but i have really pale skin and its the only foundation that works on pale skin like mine

i have the occasional spot with oily skin and it seems to not be clogging up my pores, which is a bonus

I know how you swear by Prescriptives! When I typed it in the search function 9 out of 10 of the posts was from you lol.

I know alot of people recommend Prescriptives...I am just torn!
    I'd go along to department store counters and get free make overs by both Clinique and Prescriptives. Just tell them your looking for a new foundation and want to try out some different brands. That's what I've just done and in the end settled on Prescriptives because the colour/tone was the most perfect match for my skin.

ReputationRep:
    BARE MINERALS!!!
    i could go on about it forever! but its 5 pounds more but litrli the onli ingredients in it are 5 minerals! thats actualy it im not lying and u get two shades one for summer and u put the most tinyest amount lyk toothpaste amount and it will actualy cover ur face really well and it wont even look like ur wearin foundation annnd it stays on so long you also get a mineral bronzer and mineral veil to make ur face look not shhiny and you get 3 brushes and um done what else to say except BUY IT!!!

ReputationRep:
    Prescriptives will be the same price as Clinique/Estee Lauder etc so I'd go for that if I were you.

I wouldn't be as anti-Clinique as so many others are being though - while I didn't like their Superfit foundation AT ALL, their anti-blemish range was the only one to truly help my skin (and after 10 years of trying anti-blemish products, believe me, I've pretty much done the rounds there). Everyone's skin is different, remember.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happydinosaur)
    I'd go along to department store counters and get free make overs by both Clinique and Prescriptives. Just tell them your looking for a new foundation and want to try out some different brands. That's what I've just done and in the end settled on Prescriptives because the colour/tone was the most perfect match for my skin.
    I guess this would make the most sense. But I feel bad letting them do my make up and then walking away not buying it! I know I shouldn't but I can't help it lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    Prescriptives will be the same price as Clinique/Estee Lauder etc so I'd go for that if I were you.

I wouldn't be as anti-Clinique as so many others are being though - while I didn't like their Superfit foundation AT ALL, their anti-blemish range was the only one to truly help my skin (and after 10 years of trying anti-blemish products, believe me, I've pretty much done the rounds there). Everyone's skin is different, remember.
    What was wrong with the Superfit foundation?

ReputationRep:
    Just about everything. Awful colour, awful texture, wouldn't blend...see review here:
    http://biancasbeautyblog.blogspot.co...oundation.html

I guess this would make the most sense. But I feel bad letting them do my make up and then walking away not buying it! I know I shouldn't but I can't help it lol.
    Don't feel bad about it. When the stuff costs as much as it does you shouldn't feel bad about trying it to see if it is right for you, no point wasting money as even when someone else recommends something it might not be right for you. I went to the Prescriptives counter in Selfridges last Saturday and the girl who did makeup for me was more than willing even though I told her I wouldn't be buying there and then from the beginning. In fact I didn't ask for a full make over I just asked for advice on chosing foundation and ended up looking amazing when I left. I just asked her to write down the names of everything she used on me so I could buy another time.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.