Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

New foundation, help? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-pri-x)
    BARE MINERALS!!!
    i could go on about it forever! but its 5 pounds more but litrli the onli ingredients in it are 5 minerals! thats actualy it im not lying and u get two shades one for summer and u put the most tinyest amount lyk toothpaste amount and it will actualy cover ur face really well and it wont even look like ur wearin foundation annnd it stays on so long you also get a mineral bronzer and mineral veil to make ur face look not shhiny and you get 3 brushes and um done what else to say except BUY IT!!!
    I just read some reviews on this, alot of people said it brings them out in a rash/bumps/redness, and looks cakey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happydinosaur)
    Don't feel bad about it. When the stuff costs as much as it does you shouldn't feel bad about trying it to see if it is right for you, no point wasting money as even when someone else recommends something it might not be right for you. I went to the Prescriptives counter in Selfridges last Saturday and the girl who did makeup for me was more than willing even though I told her I wouldn't be buying there and then from the beginning. In fact I didn't ask for a full make over I just asked for advice on chosing foundation and ended up looking amazing when I left. I just asked her to write down the names of everything she used on me so I could buy another time.
    Oh ok, you have made me feel a bit better about it! I will head into House of Fraser tomorrow I think. Just out of interest, which foundation do you use?

(Original post by Chez87)
    Oh ok, you have made me feel a bit better about it! I will head into House of Fraser tomorrow I think. Just out of interest, which foundation do you use?
    I've just started to use Prescriptives Virtual Skin in Real Rose. Also went and tried Benefit who used Some Kinda Gorgeous on me but I preffered the look of the Prescriptives stuff. Before that I was in a foundation rut and using a cheapy Max Factor Seamless one that I picked up at uni to tide me over because it was the cheapest Max Factor foundation, wasn't bad though if slightly orange at the edges despite the claim of no more foundation lines!

ReputationRep:
    I've just started to use Prescriptives Virtual Skin in Real Rose. Also went and tried Benefit who used Some Kinda Gorgeous on me but I preffered the look of the Prescriptives stuff. Before that I was in a foundation rut and using a cheapy Max Factor Seamless one that I picked up at uni to tide me over because it was the cheapest Max Factor foundation, wasn't bad though if slightly orange at the edges despite the claim of no more foundation lines!
    What sort of skin do you have? I have been reading reviews, Virtual skin out of all of the Prescriptives foundations seems to be the most popular! I'm impressed by the amount of different shades.

Yeah I am using Bourjois at the moment which is alright, but doesn't seem to stay on very long...

What sort of skin do you have? I have been reading reviews, Virtual skin out of all of the Prescriptives foundations seems to be the most popular! I'm impressed by the amount of different shades.

Yeah I am using Bourjois at the moment which is alright, but doesn't seem to stay on very long...
    I think I have normal to combination skin, tends to get a bit oily on the tzone from time to time. The girl at Prescriptives told me that I currently have good skin so thats something. Its the colour matching at Prescriptives which impresses me the most, I often find highstreet brands in Boots to be far too yellow for my skin tone which makes sense now Prescriptives tell me that I have blue/red undertones. If I were you I'd go to a counter, get them to do make up for you and then see how you find it over the day before committing yourself to a purchase! Also do you use powder on top of your foundation? That helps mine stay on for much longer, even the cheap stuff!

ReputationRep:
    I think I have normal to combination skin, tends to get a bit oily on the tzone from time to time. The girl at Prescriptives told me that I currently have good skin so thats something. Its the colour matching at Prescriptives which impresses me the most, I often find highstreet brands in Boots to be far too yellow for my skin tone which makes sense now Prescriptives tell me that I have blue/red undertones. If I were you I'd go to a counter, get them to do make up for you and then see how you find it over the day before committing yourself to a purchase! Also do you use powder on top of your foundation? That helps mine stay on for much longer, even the cheap stuff!
    Yeah you're right, high street brands are really limited in their shades. I will go and have a chat with the sales assistant tomorrow, see what she suggests. I know that I currently do NOT have good skin I have such visible pores, which are IMPOSSIBLE to get rid of, so I just have to do my best to try and hide them!

Yeah I use a powder, just a cheapo Rimmel one at the mo, am investigating MAC blot powder currently though....wonder if it's REALLY worth the money, don't know if it will be very different to a cheap powder?

Yeah you're right, high street brands are really limited in their shades. I will go and have a chat with the sales assistant tomorrow, see what she suggests. I know that I currently do NOT have good skin I have such visible pores, which are IMPOSSIBLE to get rid of, so I just have to do my best to try and hide them!

Yeah I use a powder, just a cheapo Rimmel one at the mo, am investigating MAC blot powder currently though....wonder if it's REALLY worth the money, don't know if it will be very different to a cheap powder?
    I'm afraid I don't know much about powder. I'm sure someone on here would have advice though. I currently just use a Rimmel one too, seems to do the job for my skin. I'm sure they will be able to suggest something. The first thing the sales assistant did with me was chat about skin tone, skin type etc before slapping on product. She put a few things on the see which was best and then took it all off and did my whole face with the most suitable one.

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid I don't know much about powder. I'm sure someone on here would have advice though. I currently just use a Rimmel one too, seems to do the job for my skin. I'm sure they will be able to suggest something. The first thing the sales assistant did with me was chat about skin tone, skin type etc before slapping on product. She put a few things on the see which was best and then took it all off and did my whole face with the most suitable one.
    Ohhh I hope I get a nice sales assistant who does something like that for me? Some of them aren't very nice!

She won't expect me to know about my skin tone/undertones etc will she? Cos I am pretty useless with that!

Ohhh I hope I get a nice sales assistant who does something like that for me? Some of them aren't very nice!

She won't expect me to know about my skin tone/undertones etc will she? Cos I am pretty useless with that!
    I seem to only ever get nice sales assistants, perhaps I'm lucky and also I tend to go to the big stores like Selfridges for these things were the staff probably have to be nice.

To start with they have these 4 sticks of pigment that put on your face, one for each colour group of their make up range (so yellow/orange, red. red/blue etc) and she just asked me which I thought was most suited to my skin and from there we talked about the type of skin I have.

ReputationRep:
    I seem to only ever get nice sales assistants, perhaps I'm lucky and also I tend to go to the big stores like Selfridges for these things were the staff probably have to be nice.

To start with they have these 4 sticks of pigment that put on your face, one for each colour group of their make up range (so yellow/orange, red. red/blue etc) and she just asked me which I thought was most suited to my skin and from there we talked about the type of skin I have.
    Ooh ok, I am quite looking forward to going in now! Thank you for all your help, I'll let you know how it goes.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so I went in! And she said that my face and my neck are two different tones. :s My neck is Y/O and my face is R/O...which makes things a bit harder. I could either have it matched perfectly to my face and then I would like two different colours, or have it matched to my neck, which would be better as it is paler and would tone down some redness on my face....so I went for that lol. It's a bit pale on my face but does look matched, I am undecided as yet.

ReputationRep:
    Like some of the other people, I really dislike Clinique. I have the Dramatically Different moisturiser and it really wasn't worth the money, it feels horrible on my skin. My three fave brands for foundation are Precriptives, Creme de la Mer, and Clarins. Three quite different budgets.

For £40 you can have a specific colour mixed up for you at Prescriptives, although I find Prescriptives ready mixed range (£20ish) to have a decent range of shades too. I really liked using this brand and am considering it again once my Clarins runs out.

For an extra £20 (£60) you can have Creme de la Mer foundation, which is by far the best I have ever used. It seemed to clear my skin up loads, sort of making it glow and I wish I could afford it again.

Right now I am very keen on Clarins, which I see as a more affordable brand (standard premium foundation price - £20ish) with the same feel as Creme de la Mer. I use almost everything from there - face mask, moisturiser, cleanser/toner, foundation, powder, spray stuff to set make up, and a blemish stick.

ReputationRep:
    I just read some reviews on this, alot of people said it brings them out in a rash/bumps/redness, and looks cakey.

oh okay don't know about that when i wear it everyone thinks my face is perfectly clear and that im not wearing any make up and i dont get reactions either well best way to find out if its good for u is to go and try it out they give u a free make over when you tell them your interested in buying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Valjean)

For an extra £20 (£60) you can have Creme de la Mer foundation, which is by far the best I have ever used. It seemed to clear my skin up loads, sort of making it glow and I wish I could afford it again.

i love love love the creme de la mere cream its so good =|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-pri-x)
    i love love love the creme de la mere cream its so good =|
    I was just looking on the website, HOW expensive?!! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I was just looking on the website, HOW expensive?!! :eek:
    i know but its just as worth it! i save up for it lol

ReputationRep:
    Revlon Colorstay in Combination/Oily.
    Epic stuff, around £12.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.