Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've still got my degree to go through so this is to get some ideas brewing:

I know what I want to be when I grow up (woohoo!) but there are only 4 unis in England that do the Masters course I want (Forensic Archaeology). UCL is one of these, and in fact out of the 4 it's the one that I would be happy to go to. Assuming I do very well in my Archaeology degree and am accepted into UCL, what are the options available to me finance-wise and accommodation-wise? I'll be coming from 'up north' so I would plan to move down to London for at least my year of study. Has anyone done this successfully without having to be terribly poor, and is it sensible to think of taking out personal loans as I won't be allowed student ones anymore? One final question: how much do you personally pay for accommodation (whether priate or uni-owned)?

Thanks for any help

Lou

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LouisianaPuuurchase)
    Hi,

I've still got my degree to go through so this is to get some ideas brewing:

I know what I want to be when I grow up (woohoo!) but there are only 4 unis in England that do the Masters course I want (Forensic Archaeology). UCL is one of these, and in fact out of the 4 it's the one that I would be happy to go to. Assuming I do very well in my Archaeology degree and am accepted into UCL, what are the options available to me finance-wise and accommodation-wise? I'll be coming from 'up north' so I would plan to move down to London for at least my year of study. Has anyone done this successfully without having to be terribly poor, and is it sensible to think of taking out personal loans as I won't be allowed student ones anymore? One final question: how much do you personally pay for accommodation (whether priate or uni-owned)?

Thanks for any help

Lou
    Don't think about postgrad until you've finished your second year of university, seriously. You will almost certainly be interested in other areas or may not want to do your discipline at all.
    Yours,
    A Postgrad.

ReputationRep:
    As above, we all change our minds!

it's pretty financially crippling. Outside of science funding for masters is pretty much impossible to find, career development loans (see the postgrad forums and wiki and Martin's money for more info) are one of the few options and aren't great value compared with student loans. Even if you do get funding, you likely won't see any of it until christmas, which spells a very frugal summer/autumn too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michaela_banana)
    As above, we all change our minds!

it's pretty financially crippling. Outside of science funding for masters is pretty much impossible to find, career development loans (see the postgrad forums and wiki and Martin's money for more info) are one of the few options and aren't great value compared with student loans. Even if you do get funding, you likely won't see any of it until christmas, which spells a very frugal summer/autumn too.
    Yeah, that's a more sensible response than mine. I've been jaded by annoying undergrads in the postgrad forum who, statistically, will almost certainly not do postgraduate stuff.
    I thought the first tranche of research council funding came in on the 1st of Oct? If it's not til 1 January I might be living frugally for a while...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arkbar)
    I thought the first tranche of research council funding came in on the 1st of Oct? If it's not til 1 January I might be living frugally for a while...
    Fair enough, I understand the frustration of repeatedly answering the same questions (see the medics forum!!!!) I really hope it's the 1st of October, UCL still haven't officially confirmed my funding, although they have unofficially offerred it a few times. All I know is that the people on my programme (EPSRC funded) saw nothing until the 22nd December last year, which is a LONG time away! Oh, how I hope I'm wrong! And that's not something I say very often.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arkbar)
    Yeah, that's a more sensible response than mine. I've been jaded by annoying undergrads in the postgrad forum who, statistically, will almost certainly not do postgraduate stuff.
    Yeah fair enough, but you don't know me so you don't know how likely I am to see through plans or not :p:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.