Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    have any of you gone down this route? If so, what options did you look at? loot, gumtree, anything else?

I'm thinking about buying a second-hand exercise bike and I'd like to spend no more than £40-50. Perhaps I'm asking alot for this to happen whilst getting a good product at the same time

ReputationRep:
    Can't you buy a new bike for £50?

Not that I've ever looked into it, but I can't see Argos letting you down.

If not I'd go for collection off ebay :yy:

Oooooooor try freecycle and see if there's one free :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    freecycle, someone in your local 'group' will have one they want to get rid of

ReputationRep:
    I spent £113 on a cross trainer off ebay. It had been sat in this woman's bedroom for 2 years gathering dust. It's been in my garage for 12 months and hasn't let me down yet. The best thing I ever did tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    I spent £113 on a cross trainer off ebay. It had been sat in this woman's bedroom for 2 years gathering dust. It's been in my garage for 12 months and hasn't let me down yet. The best thing I ever did tbh.
    113 quid for a second hand cross trainer? Wow, you got conned...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icantthinkofacoolusername)
    Can't you buy a new bike for £50?

Not that I've ever looked into it, but I can't see Argos letting you down.

If not I'd go for collection off ebay :yy:

Oooooooor try freecycle and see if there's one free :teeth:
    I was considering getting a road bike this summer but I have reservations. Everytime I get on a bike the ****ing typres pop and I'm not exaggerating. Not only is this tremendously frustrating but it can get expensive.

freecycle? Not heard of this. Is this a website? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mipegg)
    Seems alot but if she's making good use of it, then fair play. And at least its new owner isn't allowing the cross-trainer to gather dust!

ReputationRep:
    Um, no I didn't. It's a York Crosstrainer that to buy new costs £400. It's not some cheapo Argos Kirsty Gallacher piece of crap. It's a bloody good piece of kit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    I was considering getting a road bike this summer but I have reservations. Everytime I get on a bike the ****ing typres pop and I'm not exaggerating. Not only is this tremendously frustrating but it can get expensive.
    If it's that much of a problem pick up some slime tyres and/or inner tubes, due to the nature of the material small holes automatically seal themselves. Failing that you can get kevlar liners to protect your inner tube.

Make sure your tyres are at the right pressure, at the very least it will make it slightly easier for you (but offers less shock absorbency). Also it goes without saying, but it's best to avoid places where the hedges have been recently cut.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    Um, no I didn't. It's a York Crosstrainer that to buy new costs £400. It's not some cheapo Argos Kirsty Gallacher piece of crap. It's a bloody good piece of kit.
    Fair enough, I never see the point in expensive running machines, cross trainers etc etc. They all do the same thing

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, I never see the point in expensive running machines, cross trainers etc etc. They all do the same thing
    Then why would you assume I was 'conned' if you didn't know that there was a difference between an £80 crosstrainer and a £400 one? lol.

An £80 cross trainer is made with lesser quality materials. They often don't have the 'sturdyness' of more expensive ones. The more expensive ones can be used more often and for longer without breaking down. Cheap ones often don't have as many programmes as the more expensive ones.

In the end it's about quality. You usually get what you pay for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)

freecycle? Not heard of this. Is this a website? :confused:
    Yeah, people give away stuff they don't want or summat. Google it.

ReputationRep:
    I really want a spinning bike. I'm too scared of buses to cycle on roads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Katie*)
    I really want a spinning bike. I'm too scared of buses to cycle on roads.
    No trails near you? Honestly, biking outside is a far better work out than on an exercise bike.

ReputationRep:
    While we're on the subject,

Anyone know a good place to get secondhand Olympic barbells/plates etc? Like forums with classifieds? Occasionally these things crop up on Gumtree but they're usually the standard 1" cheap bars.

ReputationRep:
    Bought some fitness stuff 2nd hand. Can't really go wrong with it tbh (weights/bars anyway).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mitch92uK)
    Bought some fitness stuff 2nd hand. Can't really go wrong with it tbh (weights/bars anyway).
    Where and were they Olympic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)

Anyone know a good place to get secondhand Olympic barbells/plates etc? Like forums with classifieds? Occasionally these things crop up on Gumtree but they're usually the standard 1" cheap bars.
    Sit on ebay for a few months, just looking in your local area. This is very dependent on luck, but still worth a go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Where and were they Olympic?
    I doubt it, oly sets are usually more specialized and only gotten by those who are serious about training so not quite as commonly sold on
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by SMed)

Yes, Ebay is good. I got an Olympic barbell set with 215kg worth of plates for just over two hundred sterling.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.