Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Got an offer for a place. Have a few questions though.

I'll be studying at Whiteknights, so thats a bit odd. How far are the two places? Will it be irritating travelling too and fro eveytime? Thats my main apprehension.

Also are all the rooms en suite? Whats the general consensus like? Will there be other post grads there as well?

And how exactly do you pronounce it...Bull-mersh??

ReputationRep:
    http://www.rdg.ac.uk/nmsruntime/save...1508&sID=89072

There is also a minibus from bulmershe to wightknights which cost £1 mon-fri.

I think most if not all of the rooms are en-suite. There will def be lots of other postgrads around Bulmershe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d.b.asf)
    http://www.rdg.ac.uk/nmsruntime/save...1508&sID=89072

There is also a minibus from bulmershe to wightknights which cost £1 mon-fri.

I think most if not all of the rooms are en-suite. There will def be lots of other postgrads around Bulmershe.
    Thanks for that. I looked at the map earlier as well but I still don't know how long will it take to get to Whiteknights? Around 10-15 minutes?

Are they lots of others who will also be studying at Whiteknights and be in the same situation as me or will I be in the minority?

ReputationRep:
    I've just found out I'm in Bulmershe and I'm absolutely gutted about it. I'll be a first year, studying Psychology at whiteknights and I've heard the journey is a real downside. Plus I wanted to be on the main campus coz of the union and stuff. Have any freshers just found out they're staying in Bulmershe? Also does anyone know how far away the train station and town are from it?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, its about a half hour walk from Windsor hall to Bulmershe, but probably takes a lot less time to walk to Early gate.
    I think its the 63 or 64 bus from Bulmershe to town/the station, they come frequently and its £3.40 ish for a day ticket. Beware as in Reading you have to have exact change for busses!

ReputationRep:
    Argh. Somewhere closer would have been alot more convenient. Why would they put Whiteknights students there anyways? Makes no sense.

Do you think theres anyway I could change their mind? Any point writing to them requesting another hall?

ReputationRep:
    The majority of people at Bulmershe will have at least part of their course at Whiteknights :/
    Most self catered uni accommodation is at Bulmershe so if you want self catered thats pretty much where you will end up. I suppose you could ask about Wessex but thats not ensuite and isn't as new.
    I imagine there are other places available, i suppose you could write but you may end up catered

Actually, i just realised you are postgrad :o: you could ask about Greenow and Mcobmie at Windsor hall, i think they were built around the same time as Bulmershe but are on campus and are specifically for postgrads.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I put that down as my first choice only. Heard its only for ICMA students though so I wasnt too hopefull. Isnt Sherfield self catered and closer to Whiteknights?

I wrote to them anyways saying I'll be happy to accept this offer but if anything closer to Whiteknights is available I would like to swap.

And so begins the waiting game.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, i didn't think it was specifically for them :s thats not very fair!
    Sherfield is near student village and is a lot closer to campus.
    I hope you like wherever you end up!

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I have been told I will be acepted into Bulmershe hall, although my original choice was St Georges.

I am studying chemistry in october. yes it does seem a bummer that we will have to travel everyday - btu at least we have our own ******* and the ability to cook for ourselves. All will be fine

Plus dont you think that you might actually enjoy being off campus sometimes, to go back into 'the real world' :eek:

I'm sure there will be plenty of people like use who have to travel everyday to Whiteknights - we'll be fine! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    hey, i'm going to be studying in whiteknights, but just found out i'll be living in bulmershe. i did want st georges or student village because theyr closer to town centre/other accommodation. but i'm sure bulmershe won't be too bad. i rang to change, but the other accommodation is pretty much full now.. at least bulmershe is self catered, and ensuite.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.