Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    For anyone who has appealed, what has been the outcome of your complaint? Do they sometimes give compensation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SOAD_MONGOOSE)
    For anyone who has appealed, what has been the outcome of your complaint? Do they sometimes give compensation?
    When I failed once, I failed with two serious, one of which me and my instructor believed to be invalid.

I was doing a turn in the road, started turning until I noticed an oncoming vehicle so in good time I stopped to let him past. I got a serious fault for this, with the reason being that I reacted too late, when I spotted the car fairly quickly and my instructor agreed when I showed him the position I was in.

Anyway because I had two serious I never appealed, but I was told if your appeal is successful, you get another test free of charge

ReputationRep:
    On your test report you will have 2 pages. The first page with the marking sheet, the rear page will have all the information about appealing. Do be aware that you can't have the result changed only a free re-test. Also, you cannot complain about the result of the test nor can you complain about the faults marked on your test. The only reason acceptable for an appeal is if the examiner carried out the test unprofessionally and/or improperly.

In short, I wouldn't bother. If you fail, just listen carefully to the debrief, take on board what the examiner is telling you, go away and work on the faults that came up on your test.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zKlown)
    When I failed once, I failed with two serious, one of which me and my instructor believed to be invalid.

I was doing a turn in the road, started turning until I noticed an oncoming vehicle so in good time I stopped to let him past. I got a serious fault for this, with the reason being that I reacted too late, when I spotted the car fairly quickly and my instructor agreed when I showed him the position I was in.

Anyway because I had two serious I never appealed, but I was told if your appeal is successful, you get another test free of charge
    Put yourself in the position of that oncoming vehicle. A stationary car starts to move and puts full lock on. I'd be breaking for sure, and you'd certainly get a toot of the horn. Whether you were on the oncoming car's side of the road or not, it's intimidating, prompting action from the driver of it. That's pretty much a serious fault.

A scenario for you:

You've got a brand new car, very expensive indeed and are driving it home from the dealer. There is a give way junction ahead, you have priority. There is a car at the junction, turning left to join your road. They are at the give way line and still moving. As your bonnet draws level with their car you hear the engine rev and see them move a bit faster. Is that not intimidating? Would you take any action? I'm sure you wouldn't like that, and what you were doing is little different.

I hate the way that everyone thinks they know better than the examiner. The examiner isn't having to control the car so they can concentrate on you and the car's position. They are going to call it correctly. For your TIR serious, you clearly missed an observation and fortunately you looked again, but you moved the car and put steering on before you knew that it was safe to do so. What if a child had been crossing the road in front of you when you didn't look and moved off?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.