Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Think.. What Do You Really Think And Feel About Women Wearing Hijabs?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Im very interested, in what young people think of Islam but in particular women who wear the hijab. (Scarf that covers their hear) I AM NOT REFFERING TO THE VEIL THAT WOMEN COVER THEIR WHOLE FACE WITH BUT JUST THE HAIR .

I have been working on a social experiment and a study on what the general public, but in particular young people think of girls and women wearing the Hijab. And i urge you to think of your answers, may your answer be so because you dont know why they wear it? Or could it be influenced by the media's perception of women's dress code in Islam.

PLEASE LEAVE YOUR MOST HONEST OPINIONS, POST ANONYMOUS SHOULD YOU WISH TO.! Thanks a lot guys.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a shame that they feel they have to be completely covered up but I don't mind them wearing it if that's what they choose to do...

ReputationRep:
    Covering just hair - Fine, doesn't really bother me...

Covers whole face - Makes the person look like a human post-box, plus I'd see it as a security risk if I was running a shop or something, like if someone walked in with a balaclava covering their face.

ReputationRep:
    When someone gets to a certain age, they can where what they want. If they think dressing that way is favourable in religious terms, then go ahead.

However, i do object to children being encouraged to wear the hijab.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not in favour of any religion, so covering hair makes me feel uncomfortable.
    If they choose too, once they reach an age to choose, they they should be able to, in a muslim country, this isn't.

ReputationRep:
    It's their choice. I think it's tragic that some people may feel ini some way obliged to do that. The reaction of the women when they're asked to removed them is dispicable.

Once when I went to Blackpool Pleasure Beach on one of the new rides that has a photo bit on it, there was a group of about six women wearing the full on burkha complete with only a small slit to see out of. The photos were the funniest things I've ever seen. I also want to know - how do the kids know which one is their Mum when they're coming to collect them from school!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hitsit)
    Im very interested, in what young people think of Islam but in particular women who wear the hijab. (Scarf that covers their hear)
    1. Almost certainly boringly religious.
    2. Probably very conservative.
    3. Likely to have family who dislike non-Muslims.
    4. Possible jihadis.
    5. Unlikely to come to the pub or a night club
    6. Best avoided.

ReputationRep:
    Fine, whatever. It's no different to wearing a big hat all the time, really. I think the cultural reasoning is odd, but I had 17 years of living in the middle east to get used to it.

ReputationRep:
    The hijab doesn't bother me, I have spoken to Muslim friends about why they choose to wear it or not and they always seem to have valid reasons.

I do however object to it being forced on young children, as I feel it should be an individual choice, and I disagree with the veil (but that's a topic for another time)

ReputationRep:
    I am not bothered by the hijab at all. It doesn't prevent conversation and working together, as you can read their facial expressions. I am against the full veil because it seperates them. I agree with crazyhelicopter that children should not be wearing them, perhaps from the age of say 14 onwards would be acceptable.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by TShadow383)
    Covering just hair - Fine, doesn't really bother me...

Covers whole face - Makes the person look like a human post-box, plus I'd see it as a security risk if I was running a shop or something, like if someone walked in with a balaclava covering their face.
    this

ReputationRep:
    Almost everyone who comments on this does not understand it. Firstly, it has nothing to do with Islam, which only specifies 'modest dress', not headscarves. Its modern prevalence began in the 1970s as part of the Ultra-Conservative movements in Iran and Saudi Arabia. Essentially, it's a political object, not a religious one. As much as I find it a distasteful choice for women to make, effectively subjugating themselves by submitting to the male chauvinism of Islamic conservatism, I still would not go so far as banning its wear. That isn't the place of the British state.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't get why people would have a problem with the hijab. Unlike things that cover the entire face, it doesn't make communication more difficult. I don't think I really even notice people wearing headscarves because it's just normal. It's not even really a foreign thing since similar headscarves used to be worn quite commonly in this country, they're just not in fashion at the moment. The Queen wears one some times.

ReputationRep:
    I don't like the reasoning Islam gives for wearing it. But it's their choice.

Covering the face.... Different matter altogether.

ReputationRep:
    at least swine flu will not spread :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I hate the reason Islam gives for wearing it and I think it makes them look ugly. How can a man see what he is in for?

ReputationRep:
    Without covering the face, fine. No problem.

I do sometimes not make smalltalk with her when I otherwise would, just because I wonder if she can speak English or not..that's probably bad. :x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jayman)
    at least swine flu will not spread :awesome:
    hide your neg rep, you did previously, why did you stop?

ReputationRep:
    Hijabs are perfectly fine. Chadri and Niqabs however are just plain unnecessary. In the Qu'ran it says that the woman has to dress respectfully not dress like a bloody masquerade. I always feel uncofortable when I'm sitting next to a niqab/chadri wearer on the bus and when I am back home in Nigeria (45% of the nigerian population is muslim) and I'm someone who goes around wearing a balaclava during winter!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cruciform)
    I hate the reason Islam gives for wearing it and I think it makes them look ugly. How can a man see what he is in for?
    I'm sure her hair isn't that bad. Way to read the OP's post? :rolleyes:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.