Turn on thread page Beta

Think.. What Do You Really Think And Feel About Women Wearing Hijabs?? watch

ReputationRep:
    For me it's less of a 'when in Rome..' problem, when there are things like this happening:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Police hunt armed robber dressed in burka
    Published Date: 09 July 2009
    Dunstable shop staff left terrified

A knifeman wearing a black burka escaped with a large amount of cash from a Dunstable travel agent.

The thief struck on Tuesday, July 7, at around 10.15am at First Choice Travel in The Broadwalk.

He strolled into the store and threatened two female members of staff before grabbing money from the office and tills and then fleeing through a rear fire door.

http://www.dunstabletoday.co.uk/duns...sed.5446308.jp

Also heard of a guy, possibly a terrorist, going through customs using his sisters passport, wearing a hijab.

Apart from the the above my concerns are that
    1. Governments would be initially pressured by those who are pro-hijab to hold similar views (due to fear of being seen as un-pc/ prejudiced etc).
    2. ^ This would act as an opening of the floodgates, sts, where this sort of thing begins to happen more frequently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cruciform)
    hide your neg rep, you did previously, why did you stop?
    too many people were possing me

ReputationRep:
    The hijab isn't something that Muslim women are forced to do but those who do wear it; I have no problem with. I believe the media portrays Muslim women wearing this to be something they have been forced into etc, which is just wrong. Communicating with women in hijab is the same as say talking to someone in a hat. I don't know why people feel sorry for Muslim women who do wear this, as it isn't something bad for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apfel)
    I'm sure her hair isn't that bad. Way to read the OP's post? :rolleyes:
    Even then what is the point if you aren't concealing the rest of the flesh? Kinda defeats the whole point of it really.:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    Firstly, it has nothing to do with Islam, which only specifies 'modest dress', not headscarves.
    Say to the believing men that they cast down their looks and guard their private parts; that is purer for them; surely Allah is Aware of what they do.

And say to the believing women that they cast down their looks and guard their private parts and do not display their ornaments except what appears thereof, and let them draw their head-coverings over their bosoms, and not display their ornaments except to their husbands or their fathers, or the fathers of their husbands, or their sons, or...

The Qur'an seems to be talking about head-coverings there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flugestuge)
    1. Almost certainly boringly religious.
    2. Probably very conservative.
    3. Likely to have family who dislike non-Muslims.
    4. Possible jihadis.
    5. Unlikely to come to the pub or a night club
    6. Best avoided.
    Your ignorance matches up rather perfectly to that of a stereotypical American. Congrats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flugestuge)
    1. Almost certainly boringly religious.
    2. Probably very conservative.
    3. Likely to have family who dislike non-Muslims.
    4. Possible jihadis.
    5. Unlikely to come to the pub or a night club
    6. Best avoided.
    Agreed. I wouldn't be mean to them anything, but i'm very unlikely to share any sort of common ground.

ReputationRep:
    I don't give a damn. I've got better things to do with my time than worry about what people wear.

I don't see the problems with Hijabs, either. They're literally only headscarfs, so none of that 'intimidation' nonsense argument can be used.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatrollingstone)
    Your ignorance matches up rather perfectly to that of a stereotypical American. Congrats.
    Most of my close friends are Muslims and everything (I hope) except reason 4 he gave, is actually a very reasonable assumption to make. It's not ignorant if it's true :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deano88)
    However, i do object to children being encouraged to wear the hijab.
    Why is that?

If they've never experienced wearing a hijab, then don't you think that when they become adults, and put on a hijab for the first time, it'll feel a bit unusual and possibly uncomfortable?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatrollingstone)
    Why? She didn't say they will all be like that, it's likely though.

I don't think i've anybody seen anybody with a Hijab in a club, or any place I like to go actually. I also don't get along with very religious people, regardless of the religion, so that's gonna be a problem.
    I'd be friends with somebody that wears one, that wouldn't be a problem. But I wouldn't hang out with them, unless they were the opposite of what I said, in which case they wouldn't wear one.

I could have a girlfriend with one, firstly because I like fashionable women, and it's not fashionable. Second of all they're not likely to have sex, so that's out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    Why is that?

If they've never experienced wearing a hijab, then don't you think that when they become adults, and put on a hijab for the first time, it'll feel a bit unusual and possibly uncomfortable?
    Children can be taught anything, no matter how strange. That doesn't make it a good idea. I could teach a kid to eat grass from a young age and they'd learn. But if I try it with an adult I don't think it'll work :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arteta)
    Second of all they're not likely to have sex, so that's out.
    Not always true! LOL. You'd be surprised how often these girls sleep around whilst being a hijab wearer :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TShadow383)
    Covers whole face - Makes the person look like a human post-box, plus I'd see it as a security risk if I was running a shop or something, like if someone walked in with a balaclava covering their face.
    No, it's not remotely similar. That is their standard dress, which they wear all the time; nobody wears a balaclava in such a fashion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    Say to the believing men that they cast down their looks and guard their private parts; that is purer for them; surely Allah is Aware of what they do.

And say to the believing women that they cast down their looks and guard their private parts and do not display their ornaments except what appears thereof, and let them draw their head-coverings over their bosoms, and not display their ornaments except to their husbands or their fathers, or the fathers of their husbands, or their sons, or...

The Qur'an seems to be talking about head-coverings there?
    The bit in bold is commentary, its not actually those stated words.

But I think or so I have read, that most scholars agree that the head scarf is obligatory on a woman.

from this verse and a few hadiths!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hitsit)
    Im very interested, in what young people think of Islam but in particular women who wear the hijab. (Scarf that covers their hear) I AM NOT REFFERING TO THE VEIL THAT WOMEN COVER THEIR WHOLE FACE WITH BUT JUST THE HAIR .

I have been working on a social experiment and a study on what the general public, but in particular young people think of girls and women wearing the Hijab. And i urge you to think of your answers, may your answer be so because you dont know why they wear it? Or could it be influenced by the media's perception of women's dress code in Islam.

PLEASE LEAVE YOUR MOST HONEST OPINIONS, POST ANONYMOUS SHOULD YOU WISH TO.! Thanks a lot guys.
    My opinion is that they should be allowed to wear it, except in situations where it becomes a hindrance.

ReputationRep:
    I don’t really see it as any of my business whether I like it or not; it’s their religion and their head, why should what I think count towards that?

It doesn’t offend me; in most of the things I have read or watched on the topic the women actually choose to wear it and enjoy doing so – they want to be judged on their personality and character rather than looks and believe certain things should be kept sacred. This is a nice view to have; a few western people could do with learning these principles- too much flesh on show and emphasis on how women look. As long as the woman does not feel suppressed by it then I have no problem with it.

ReputationRep:
    i don't care.

why is it anyone else's business if women choose to wear a hijab or not?

ReputationRep:
    The only thing i dont understand about women in hijabs is that if it says in their religion that they should, then why do only some women do it? If there are muslim women that don't, then it must mean that it isn't compulsory to wear it.

If it isn't compulsory, then why wear it in this country where people tend to discriminate (justfully) against women in hijabs?

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, I tend to think "hoo boy, religion. Better keep my mouth shut..."

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.