Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Think.. What Do You Really Think And Feel About Women Wearing Hijabs?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnanimity)
    Because you're forcing them to wear it when they can't understand the choice they are making. Religion should be something you do because you believe in it, not because your mum said so.
    it supposed to be worn by belief some families force it they think protects their girls read the story i put on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Altruistic1)
    Girls I've noticed wearing the hijab are all young, the elderly I notice really wearing the full facial veil, so I kinda get the impression the hijab is more of a sociable and trendy teen thing to wear. But yeah, I don't care.. it's up to people what they want to wear, not me.
    Yeah in the middle east it actually v fashionable nowadays to wear it when going out, so a lot of ppl where it for this reason.
    I have no problem with the headscarf (Im muslim), i agree that some people dont wear it properly, and by that i mean wear a head scarf and tight clothes etc. In fact i remember an imam talking on this issue, saying hijab actually means modesty and is correctly used to describe a modest wearing (by men and women), and ppl have taken the least important part of the woman that has to be losely covered (the hair) and taken that to mean the hijab, thus the term being a misnomer, he went as far to say a women wearing modest clothes w/o her hair covered is more acceptable than somebody immodestly dressed (with no flesh showing) and haiir covered... As for the niqaab I have no problem, because unlike most ppl here ive actually met ppl who wear it and talked to them. And came to the conclusion that wearing it isnt their way of 'cutting off from society'. And as far as hinderence from communication is concerned this again is not the case...y?... because unless uve never used the phone, most people are used to conversing w/o face to face, and usually their body language suffices. And it strange how people can view a 4inch piece of cloth to mean somebody is totally different, all it takes to realise is everybody is human. If most ppl put their prejudices aside and find a woman wearing a niqab (not a common thing considering probably 1% of muslim women in th eUK wear it) and hav a convo all the stereotypes will fly out the window

ReputationRep:
    Dressing you so you're not nude when you leave the house is a long shot away from indoctrinating a small child into a religion.

And my parents never told me what to believe in terms of religion, and did not make me wear a garment that identified me as part of one either.
    So you worked out that hitting your sibling was wrong, stealing was wrong, screaming in public was wrong, and sharing was right all by yourself? What a genius child! :yes: Religion is just another thing that children are taught. The reason just changes from, "Stop hitting your sister because it's wrong," into, "Stop hitting your sister because it's wrong in Allah's eyes." It doesn't make it bad parenting just because someone else's parents chose to teach them something that yours didn't.

I wasn't even brought up into a religion and I can see that. :o:

ReputationRep:
    Personally I don't think that The Quran tells women to put a head scarf on, it merely tells them to get dressed modestly. If a woman believes that showing her hair tempts men and that its not modest then they can go ahead and cover their hair. But I thinks its DISGUSTING and UNACCEPTABLE to cover the heads of children (sometimes as young as 5!) so that they dont "tempt" men!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arteta)
    Wow, that...intrigues me.

And they're quite religious? Or do they just wear this hijabs out of habit or respect or something?
    yea tht..or they knw theyre gna get an ass whooping if they dont :p: ... i seen plenty of girls who wear it but once theyre round the corner it comes off...plus u get some who jus wear it as a fashion statement..u can do all these styles and stuff with it :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LOCI)
    I got asked to remove my jumper hood in tescos...why because it would be hard to get a good image of my face if i were to steal somthing. Should the same not apply to anyone else wearing somthing that may be of annoyance to the publics safety.
    No luck there, pal. And I 100% agree with you on this one. Seems like it could become some dodgy security loop-hole.

(Original post by Moe Lester)
    Because they haven't reached puberty yet and they don't have a choice whether or not to wear it.
    This. Another thing I forgot to mention.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muddle)
    Personally I don't think that The Quran tells women to put a head scarf on, it merely tells them to get dressed modestly. If a woman believes that showing her hair tempts men and that its not modest then they can go ahead and cover their hair. But I thinks its DISGUSTING and UNACCEPTABLE to cover the heads of children (sometimes as young as 5!) so that they dont "tempt" men!
    One thing u must realise is that the Quran is not the only source of islamic law, rahter the sayings, actions and reports of the prophet muhammad (peace be upon him) are seen as equally important, or in another way a definitve way of interpreting the quran. And so in the explanation of this verse, definite verses have been provided regarding the wearing of the headscarf.
    'DISGUSTING and UNACCEPTABLE to cover the heads of children' ban children from wearing hats in the summer, or wooly caps in the winter its unacceptable... no its a piece of garment and the parents want to raise their children with an identity (everybody does), and maybe its not seen as necessary from a relgious point of view.... Equally theres a private school near me and those children should be banned from wearing those stupid hats and ties (a pointless piece of garment in my opinion)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TShadow383)
    From a practical point of view though
    Which is very different from the original assertion.

it's just a fancy balaclava... wearing either would allow me to hide my face from CCTV whilst I steal stuff.
    It would, but you shouldn't be that suspicious of people. Do you naturally assume a man in gloves is wearing them to prevent leaving fingerprints? Or that a woman in dark glasses is hiding her identity for some sinister purpose? I would hope not.

Remembering of course that we're typically talking about middle aged women who are devoutly religious - they're hardly the criminal underclass.

ReputationRep:
    If they want to wear it, then go for it, I don't think other people should judge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flugestuge)
    1. Almost certainly boringly religious.
    2. Probably very conservative.
    3. Likely to have family who dislike non-Muslims.
    4. Possible jihadis.
    5. Unlikely to come to the pub or a night club
    6. Best avoided.
    One of the most generalised people I have ever met. Please have some respect. Is it fair to say what your saying?

ReputationRep:
    My sister wearinf the hijab has taught me a lot more about it then i knew before.
    I respect women who wear it for the RIGHT reasons, its their choice etc.

Cannot stand girls who wear it for all the wrong reasons (parental force, wanting to look innocent or wearing it then when out and about in town with friends, taking it off and acting a slut)

I detest Niqabs with a passion, its just silly and unecessary

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BLACK N WHITE)
    it supposed to be worn by belief some families force it they think protects their girls read the story i put on
    What story are you reffering to? I would really like to kno!

And thanks very much guys, mixed opinions there although the majority have sort of acknowledged the fact that we are all human beings despite of race,religion culture or otherwise. Therefore to conclude this forum i think the majority have not much of a problem with interacting with these women but DO clearly have some underlying prejudices against them, even though they are not vocal about that in the presence of muslim women yet they are still subjected for wearing a hijab. I would just like to say thanks alot !! My study is coming on very well now thanks to all of you's.

P.S
    Im Muslim my self, female and wear hijab.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Which is very different from the original assertion.

It would, but you shouldn't be that suspicious of people. Do you naturally assume a man in gloves is wearing them to prevent leaving fingerprints? Or that a woman in dark glasses is hiding her identity for some sinister purpose? I would hope not.

Remembering of course that we're typically talking about middle aged women who are devoutly religious - they're hardly the criminal underclass.
    Exactly large sunglasses (which seem to be in fashion nowadays), are able to obscure ur identity a lot... CCTV cameras (which arent great at picking up pictures, of a sufficient quality for prosecution) cannot see them. I think the removal of hoodys is more with their association to the ppl that wear it than the problem caused itself

ReputationRep:
    Most of my close friends are Muslims and everything (I hope) except reason 4 he gave, is actually a very reasonable assumption to make. It's not ignorant if it's true :dontknow:
    6. Best avoided.

So you would best avoid your closest friends?
    TROLL

ReputationRep:
    covering the whole face really frightens me :'(

ReputationRep:
    What I find funny about the hijab is that a lot of girls wear it so men don't look at them. Now the funny thing is that a lot of men here will only look at women if they're wearing skimpy clothes.

But i wear the hijab. Ok, sort of. And that's not the reason I wear it. I have nothing against the hijab but with the face covering it's a little risky. How on earth are you even meant to know who is under there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashaxxx123)
    If they want to wear it, then go for it, I don't think other people should judge
    easy said than done

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apfel)
    Religion is just another thing that children are taught. The reason just changes from, "Stop hitting your sister because it's wrong," into, "Stop hitting your sister because it's wrong in Allah's eyes." It doesn't make it bad parenting just because someone else's parents chose to teach them something that yours didn't.

I wasn't even brought up into a religion and I can see that. :o:
    But theres a difference in that Religion gives the ultimatum: Do this, believe this and think this or suffer the consequences. Telling a 5 year old child what is morally right and what is morally wrong and what is socially acceptable is quite different to telling them they will burn in hell forever if they don't subscribe to a train of thought/belief. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musti123)
    One thing u must realise is that the Quran is not the only source of islamic law, rahter the sayings, actions and reports of the prophet muhammad (peace be upon him) are seen as equally important, or in another way a definitve way of interpreting the quran. And so in the explanation of this verse, definite verses have been provided regarding the wearing of the headscarf.
    'DISGUSTING and UNACCEPTABLE to cover the heads of children' ban children from wearing hats in the summer, or wooly caps in the winter its unacceptable... no its a piece of garment and the parents want to raise their children with an identity (everybody does), and maybe its not seen as necessary from a relgious point of view.... Equally theres a private school near me and those children should be banned from wearing those stupid hats and ties (a pointless piece of garment in my opinion)
    What you don't seem to understand is I don't have any problem what so ever with the head scarf when you think of it as a piece of garment. What I have a problem with is the idea behind it- hiding the sexual attractiveness a child is NOT supposed to have. If a hat had the same meaning I would be against that too :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    But honestly, how much can you really tell about a person when they've got one on? Going back to the balaclava thing, if I formed a religion that said a portion of its followers would wear one of those they would be looked on with suspicion as they'd be essentially obscuring their identity and people would wonder what they had to hide. Why should this be any different?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.