Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Think.. What Do You Really Think And Feel About Women Wearing Hijabs?? watch

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who wears a hijab and she's a lovely person. You shouldn't judge people by their religion and therefore what they choose to wear. I also serve lots of women wearing the full Burka in the shop where I work, and ok, it's a bit weird only being able to see their eyes but they're still the same as everyone else underneath it all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yasmeenax)
    Oh, and I wear hijab - never hurt anyone physically, intentionally.
    I think what people are concerned with are ******* (muslim or non muslim) acquiring and using these veils (I realise hijab only covers hair) to get away from being identified when they are comitting crimes. Not normal, amiable Muslims seeing them (veils) as an opportunity to commit criminal acts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Cool)
    I think what people are concerned with are ******* (muslim or non muslim) acquiring and using these veils (I realise hijab only covers hair) to get away from being identified when they are comitting crimes. Not normal, amiable Muslims seeing them (veils) as an opportunity to commit criminal acts.
    Sure, I was taking issue with that particular guy who was insinuating other stuff...!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yasmeenax)
    Sure, I was taking issue with that particular guy who was insinuating other stuff...!
    Doh! :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    Almost everyone who comments on this does not understand it. Firstly, it has nothing to do with Islam, which only specifies 'modest dress', not headscarves. Its modern prevalence began in the 1970s as part of the Ultra-Conservative movements in Iran and Saudi Arabia. Essentially, it's a political object, not a religious one. As much as I find it a distasteful choice for women to make, effectively subjugating themselves by submitting to the male chauvinism of Islamic conservatism, I still would not go so far as banning its wear. That isn't the place of the British state.
    Its mentioned in the Qu'ran mate.

ReputationRep:
    I think that (most) Women who wear Hijab, are wearing it because they are proud of their religion, and want to show it. Also, the fact that is was decreed in the Qur'an to wear it, makes Women feel as if it is an obligation, and are willing to wear it on that basis.

And that's how I 'really think and feel about Women wearing Hijabs'

ReputationRep:
    Doh! :facepalm:
    No worries you raise a good point.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really care at all, if they want to wear a scarf around their hair then who gives a crap?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musti123)
    Yeah in the middle east it actually v fashionable nowadays to wear it when going out, so a lot of ppl where it for this reason.
    I have no problem with the headscarf (Im muslim), i agree that some people dont wear it properly, and by that i mean wear a head scarf and tight clothes etc. In fact i remember an imam talking on this issue, saying hijab actually means modesty and is correctly used to describe a modest wearing (by men and women), and ppl have taken the least important part of the woman that has to be losely covered (the hair) and taken that to mean the hijab, thus the term being a misnomer, he went as far to say a women wearing modest clothes w/o her hair covered is more acceptable than somebody immodestly dressed (with no flesh showing) and haiir covered... As for the niqaab I have no problem, because unlike most ppl here ive actually met ppl who wear it and talked to them. And came to the conclusion that wearing it isnt their way of 'cutting off from society'. And as far as hinderence from communication is concerned this again is not the case...y?... because unless uve never used the phone, most people are used to conversing w/o face to face, and usually their body language suffices. And it strange how people can view a 4inch piece of cloth to mean somebody is totally different, all it takes to realise is everybody is human. If most ppl put their prejudices aside and find a woman wearing a niqab (not a common thing considering probably 1% of muslim women in th eUK wear it) and hav a convo all the stereotypes will fly out the window
    Just because YOU have come to the conclusion that women who wear the niqab aren't cutting themselves from society, doesn't mean everybody else feels that way. I find it hard to believe that you cannot see how the western world which is vastly different in culture and dress code from the islamic world, can find women who choose to cover up virtually all their bodies including their face, difficult to communicate with. Most of face to face communication is derived from facial expressions not just language. The natural human reaction of covering the face in any context, is in many cultures/ countries seen as suspicious - seen a desire to conceal identity or separate oneself from others, so its not exactly far fetched that some people find those who wear niquab as difficult to communicate with or separating themselves from the rest of society who dress completely differently. In strict islamic states/countries, non muslim women are forced to wear hijab and conform to other country customs, yet when muslim women come here they wear their niqabs, not caring whether it is against the country's customs - is this fair?

ReputationRep:
    I don't give a stuff about the Hijab, but I think the Niqab (veil) is horrible. There's been a few times I've been walking down the street and I walk past a veiled woman (or man: who knows?!) and I've jumped out of my skin! They're scary looking and it isn't necessary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR.PINK)
    easy said than done
    True, but they aren't affecting you - are they - its not as if its your body so I don't understand why people are bothered by it
    I just see it as another piece of clothing that Muslims wear:yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quadruple_twist)
    I don't give a stuff about the Hijab, but I think the Niqab (veil) is horrible. There's been a few times I've been walking down the street and I walk past a veiled woman (or man: who knows?!) and I've jumped out of my skin! They're scary looking and it isn't necessary.
    I prefer to try to post letters through them :yes:

ReputationRep:

ETA: Also wasn't suggesting Muslim kids didn't have happy childhoods, simply saying the ultimatum offered by religion is a bit heavy for a 5 year old.
    Most things are a bit heavy for 5 year olds

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZizAli)
    Its mentioned in the Qu'ran mate.
    Really? What part of the Qu'ran literally say "cover your hair"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roots)
    Most things are a bit heavy for 5 year olds
    No kidding?

ReputationRep:
    Covering the hair only doesn't bother me at all. :dontknow:
    One of my best friends in my first secondary school used to wear a headscarf and occasionally a bit of her hair would show by mistake. It always used to embarrass me, as if I had seen something dirty and private. I didn't like feeling like that, especially when she was a rarity and my other best friend who was also a Muslim didn't wear a hijab, but in general, it made no difference to how well we got on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toxic Tears)
    In strict islamic states/countries, non muslim women are forced to wear hijab and conform to other country customs, yet when muslim women come here they wear their niqabs, not caring whether it is against the country's customs - is this fair?
    That isn't Islamic. They should not be forced to dress how others dress.

Muslims don't interfere with this countries customs. What does that even mean? They don't try to force you to dress differently. They dress how they want and they leave others to dress how they want. They respect your choice but they also want to uphold their own choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muddle)
    Really? What part of the Qu'ran literally say "cover your hair"?
    If you really want me to I can find the quote, but i read last night a verse talking about headscarves and i know for sure the quran instrucs women to only allow thier face and hands to men who would show sexual lust to them.

ReputationRep:
    Coming from a place where most of the girls wear hijabs, I would have to say that I would never choose to wear it myself.

However, if a woman chooses to wear a hijab out of her own free will and she's happy with it, then I have no problem with it. I just find it horrible when parents force their daughters to wear it - especially at such young ages, which defeats the whole purpose of wearing the hijbab in the first place.

I don't have a problem with women who wear it, I have a problem with anyone who thinks that all Muslim women should else they're "sinners". It's more than a social/religious statement - it's a lifestyle and a lifetime commitment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatrollingstone)
    Your ignorance matches up rather perfectly to that of a stereotypical American. Congrats.

Actually, you're clearly the ignorant one. :rolleyes:

Stop hiding behind a veil (excuse the pun) of political correctness...

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.