Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have done almost zero exercise over the past year for no real reason and wasn't much of a fitness kinda person before hand. Im 17, roughly 5"11 and weigh exactly 63 kilos. I am just looking for some tips for a workout routine as I have no idea about this kind of stuff. I would like to work on my stomach, arms and cardio, (as my stamina is very bad).

As a note, running is ok but I can't do too much of it as my family have a history of bad joints such as my knees =(.

Thnx in advance for any advice people can give =)

ReputationRep:
    HIIT and resistance training. Im your age, height and started weight. In a month and a bit Iv put on 3 kilos and my lifts have more or less doubled, though I dont do any real cardio since I have to bike everwhere.

Read some of the stickies at the top of the forum, their very useful

ReputationRep:
    running will improve your joints, not harm them, so i would not be put off it.

i'd suggest either start a basic weight training program with some cardio or a basic running program.

i cant help you with weights but if you ever want to run you must eat more first. i weigh about 10kg more at your height and i'm running 6 days a week so you must be nothing but skin and bones! with cardio you have to eat a lot more than normal people so you maintain weight. such thin people who start cardio without eating more end up in truly bad shape. i dread to think how little you must eat if you are only 63kg without exercise. go on, eat for england, it'll do you good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revenged)
    running will improve your joints, not harm them, so i would not be put off it.

i'd suggest either start a basic weight training program with some cardio or a basic running program.

i cant help you with weights but if you ever want to run you must eat more first. i weigh about 10kg more at your height and i'm running 6 days a week so you must be nothing but skin and bones! with cardio you have to eat a lot more than normal people so you maintain weight. such thin people who start cardio without eating more end up in truly bad shape. i dread to think how little you must eat if you are only 63kg without exercise. go on, eat for england, it'll do you good.
    lol about the last part. I do actually eat a decent amount its just i don't seem to gain weight. Last time i saw a doctor about sumin else he was actually quite confused how I was still healthy after talkin to me about my diet and the lack of excercise.
    Thnx for the tips. My mate is a gym and exercise freak but he does loads of sports on the side so he didn't really know what I should do but he is gonna try and help me =).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jrunicl)
    lol about the last part. I do actually eat a decent amount its just i don't seem to gain weight. Last time i saw a doctor about sumin else he was actually quite confused how I was still healthy after talkin to me about my diet and the lack of excercise.
    Thnx for the tips. My mate is a gym and exercise freak but he does loads of sports on the side so he didn't really know what I should do but he is gonna try and help me =).
    You're not eating enough/as much as you think then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    You're not eating enough/as much as you think then.
    its hard to know whether your eating loads or not cos i just eat whenever i am hungry. I eat large cooked meals, never miss breakfast and i usually have a large lunch (i.e 2 sandwiches plus loads of other crap). I also eat snacks all the time.
    Doesn't bother me anyway cos i don't really care about gaining weight atm, obviously I will be putting on weight if I am exercising more as I will also become more hungry and therefore eat more

ReputationRep:
    Running is good and fun, but if you have dodgy joints for goodness sake get yourself some decent running shoes!! I don't use them but my joints are fine, but I get what having bad joints can be like, so protect them!

ReputationRep:
    i i usually have a large lunch (i.e 2 sandwiches plus loads of other crap).
    Trust me, that really isn't a large lunch. Normal sized at best.

Doesn't bother me anyway cos i don't really care about gaining weight atm, obviously I will be putting on weight if I am exercising more as I will also become more hungry and therefore eat more
    Really? You honestly want to look like a scrawny little boy do you?

Because at 63KG's, that's all you are. You must have the body of a girl.

I suggest you start eating a lot and get on a weight program before bothering with cardio. You're way too small to be stamping around on pavements trying to lose even more weight. I suggest you also learn to love shoving your gob full of food. Just make sure it's the good stuff (fish, white meat, veg etc you get the picture) because half of this is eating, not "work out tips".

ReputationRep:
    its hard to know whether your eating loads or not cos i just eat whenever i am hungry. I eat large cooked meals, never miss breakfast and i usually have a large lunch (i.e 2 sandwiches plus loads of other crap). I also eat snacks all the time.
    Obvious is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rule Britannia)
    Trust me, that really isn't a large lunch. Normal sized at best.

Really? You honestly want to look like a scrawny little boy do you?

Because at 63KG's, that's all you are. You must have the body of a girl.

I suggest you start eating a lot and get on a weight program before bothering with cardio. You're way too small to be stamping around on pavements trying to lose even more weight. I suggest you also learn to love shoving your gob full of food. Just make sure it's the good stuff (fish, white meat, veg etc you get the picture) because half of this is eating, not "work out tips".
    FFS. Is it me or do you sound aggressive?!
    I've been to a frikin doctor and im apparently HEALTHY!
    Im on the skinnier side of things but im not a ******* twig!
    jesus i just wanted to know if people knew of some gd workout routines. Im not interested in doing routines to loose fat obviously

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Obvious is it?
    i eat when im hungry and i started going to the gym recently and so have been eating more. So ... u get it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luca118)
    Running is good and fun, but if you have dodgy joints for goodness sake get yourself some decent running shoes!! I don't use them but my joints are fine, but I get what having bad joints can be like, so protect them!
    lol yh
    my m8 goes running a lot so i might start going with him

ReputationRep:
    i eat when im hungry and i started going to the gym recently and so have been eating more. So ... u get it
    Eating when your hungry has obviously not been working for you so far; you're underweight.

If you're training, you're burning calories. You may be hungry, but will you be hungry enough to replace all the calories you used? If not, you will lose even more weight. If you eat just enough to replace, then your weight will remain the same. This may give you slightly better results since more muscle will be revealed, but since you have such little muscle to begin with you'll still look very skinny and I don't think you'll like the result.

If you eat properly, past the point of satisfaction and when you're no longer hungry anymore, you will gain some decent weight so long as you're training hard and lifting heavy weights.

Get it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Eating when your hungry has obviously not been working for you so far; you're underweight.

If you're training, you're burning calories. You may be hungry, but will you be hungry enough to replace all the calories you used? If not, you will lose even more weight. If you eat just enough to replace, then your weight will remain the same. This may give you slightly better results since more muscle will be revealed, but since you have such little muscle to begin with you'll still look very skinny and I don't think you'll like the result.

If you eat properly, past the point of satisfaction and when you're no longer hungry anymore, you will gain some decent weight so long as you're training hard and lifting heavy weights.

Get it?
    yh i understand. your point is very true. I am forcing myself to eat more atm so it should be fine =)

ReputationRep:
    smeds right, you'll eat more, but you burn more, if anything you'll just accomodate for what you burn more, making no difference whatsoever.

you have to push yourself a bit, concentrate on eating more, have snacks between meals, and then meals between your snacks.

if anything exercise will make you lose rather than gain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoshifumu)
    smeds right, you'll eat more, but you burn more, if anything you'll just accomodate for what you burn more, making no difference whatsoever.

you have to push yourself a bit, concentrate on eating more, have snacks between meals, and then meals between your snacks.

if anything exercise will make you lose rather than gain.
    yh i understand
    only thing is i don't wanna get into the habit of eating so much food that if I stop exercising for a while that i will become fat

ReputationRep:
    yh i understand
    only thing is i don't wanna get into the habit of eating so much food that if I stop exercising for a while that i will become fat
    That's the fun part. :top:

Why would you stop training? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    FFS. Is it me or do you sound aggressive?!
    I've been to a frikin doctor and im apparently HEALTHY!
    Im on the skinnier side of things but im not a ******* twig!
    jesus i just wanted to know if people knew of some gd workout routines. Im not interested in doing routines to loose fat obviously
    Your not. Trust me, 'till 6 weeks ago I was the same stats as you. Its unhealthy and looks horribly skinny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    That's the fun part. :top:

Why would you stop training? :confused:
    I don't its just the thought that if i did I would turn into an ogre lol
    doesn't matter anyway
    i am just gonna eat loads and train a lot, although goin to uni next year which might make eatin loads harder as i will have to be conservative about the money i spend on food lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mipegg)
    Your not. Trust me, 'till 6 weeks ago I was the same stats as you. Its unhealthy and looks horribly skinny.
    yh im skinny, but i trust a doctors opinion on whether im healthy or not over yours (not meant be offensive or anything). But im eating more anyway atm so its not an issue

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.