Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm going out of my mind- I've just graduated and have no money. I've been looking for a job since January, had one interview last week but didn't get the job. I think I need to change tactics.

I've signed up to hundreds of recruitment agencies, both graduate ones and normal..I went to my uni careers service (who told me to just carry on with what I'm doing), I've been using the job centre, emailing cvs to companies that don't necessarily advertise jobs etc. I've asked family/friends if there's job vacancies where they work, no luck.

I basically want to go into publishing, but can't get in without experience, so for the time being I want to earn money doing admin work. I can't afford to work voluntarily, so how else can I look for a job?????

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the same (as in taking a bit of time out to work, looking for admin jobs). I think you just need to hang in there.

However, you may wish to consider:
    -NHS
    -Local council
    -Local universities

all of which will likely advertise administration jobs on their own websites. I've applies for 2-3 this way. They also pay quite well as its paid for by the government in some instances (the first two at least).

Also, how wide is your search? Often 20-30minutes on a train in various directions (if you can get to a train station) will cost you little and most train stations dump you in the centre of a city/town which is where more jobs will be available.

Keep yourself busy in the mean time - once you've searched various job sites there is little point looking again that day (or perhaps morning and night) or you'll go insane. Perhaps make use of the various online dvd rental trials (which I'm doing, to keep me sane).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply. I've applied to quite a few nhs jobs, but just keep hearing either nothing or rejections. Will try the loval govt though. I live in Essex and am considering working anywhere in London or Essex, so there's quite a big range.

I totally agree with the dvd rentals, I'm doing the same :p:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Are you living with your parents in Essex? Couldn't you live with them and do publishing work experience?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la fille danse)
    Are you living with your parents in Essex? Couldn't you live with them and do publishing work experience?

No way I can do that. My parents aren't millionaries.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by *starry_eyed_*)
    No way I can do that. My parents aren't millionaries.

They don't need to be... what's your plan for getting into publishing, out of curiosity?

ReputationRep:
    I feel your pain, I'm in the same boat and job hunting sucks! It's so demoralising but you just have to keep trying.

What are you doing currently? Are you working part-time or anything? On JSA?

I think you should get some work experience really.

I see your options as:

a) Continue with your part-time job and spend a few days working for free somewhere else.

b) Continue claiming/Claim JSA and do work experience (unpaid work won't have any impact on your benefit entitlement).

c) Do work experience and get a part-time job.

d) Do nothing and hope that you find a f/t job soon.

If you are currently completely unemployed, definitely do some unpaid work experience. It'll look good on your CV and it'll keep you occupied! Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *starry_eyed_*)
    I'm going out of my mind- I've just graduated and have no money. I've been looking for a job since January, had one interview last week but didn't get the job. I think I need to change tactics.

I've signed up to hundreds of recruitment agencies, both graduate ones and normal..I went to my uni careers service (who told me to just carry on with what I'm doing), I've been using the job centre, emailing cvs to companies that don't necessarily advertise jobs etc. I've asked family/friends if there's job vacancies where they work, no luck.

I basically want to go into publishing, but can't get in without experience, so for the time being I want to earn money doing admin work. I can't afford to work voluntarily, so how else can I look for a job?????
    I've finished Uni, I jobhunted for 4 weeks and I've found a job. I hope this doesn't appear rude, but you're right that something that's not right to be job hunting for 7 months even in a recession.

My advice is to treat jobhunting like a full-time 9-5 job. Every day you need to be determined to get a job. You've probably already on JSA? If not sign up! B/c it is a recession every1 is going for jobs they're overqualified for. So you might want to go into publishing - my advice is to apply for almost any job (customer service/admin/data entry/retail/ even waitressing). It might seem 'demeaning' b/c we have degrees but just think it's only temporarily. When you get a job make sure you apply to better jobs while you're working.

I've been particuarly successful with reed.co.uk. Other jobsites are:
    jobsite.co.uk
    annejagger.co.uk
    londonjobs (if applicable)
    inretail.co.uk
    drapersonline
    officeangels
    guardian.co.uk
    monster.co.uk
    fish4jobs.co.uk
    jobcentreplus.co.uk

Then set yourself a target of applying to at least 5 jobs a day or something. If you're unsuccessful at the end of each week- then review your CV. Make sure you tailor your covering letter and CV to each job. I'd say now re-do your CV. Remain positive as well- you will find a job !!

ReputationRep:
    I have just left 6th form, and after doing research have found that the best way to get the career I want is to get experience rather than a degree.
    What I plan to do this year is get a part time job to earn money and keep myself going, but to also get part time work experience, that way I am still moving towards my goal.
    I know this won't be as easy for you as you are in debt from uni, but maybe it will give you an idea on what to do or something.
    Hope I have helped. I am sure you will find a job

ReputationRep:
    Ok let me say once again, I cannot afford to do unpaid work experience (if I could I would!)- I have less than £100 to my name and have £120+ in bills to be paid...I am spending all day everyday looking for a job, I've re-done my cv 3times, and I'm certainly not being picky in what jobs I apply to. Not even my old job ASDA want me...I am on JSA but have yet to receive anything.

As for my plan to get into publishing...as soon as I have enough money to keep me going, I plan to apply to work placements with the BBC, and then publishing houses (penguin, cambridge, random house etc) and just see where I go from there.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Why don't you post your CV in the CV help forum?

ReputationRep:
    Have you been tailoring your CV for each job role?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by questionmark)
    I've finished Uni, I jobhunted for 4 weeks and I've found a job. I hope this doesn't appear rude, but you're right that something that's not right to be job hunting for 7 months even in a recession.

My advice is to treat jobhunting like a full-time 9-5 job. Every day you need to be determined to get a job. You've probably already on JSA? If not sign up! B/c it is a recession every1 is going for jobs they're overqualified for. So you might want to go into publishing - my advice is to apply for almost any job (customer service/admin/data entry/retail/ even waitressing). It might seem 'demeaning' b/c we have degrees but just think it's only temporarily. When you get a job make sure you apply to better jobs while you're working.

I've been particuarly successful with reed.co.uk. Other jobsites are:
    jobsite.co.uk
    annejagger.co.uk
    londonjobs (if applicable)
    inretail.co.uk
    drapersonline
    officeangels
    guardian.co.uk
    monster.co.uk
    fish4jobs.co.uk
    jobcentreplus.co.uk

Then set yourself a target of applying to at least 5 jobs a day or something. If you're unsuccessful at the end of each week- then review your CV. Make sure you tailor your covering letter and CV to each job. I'd say now re-do your CV. Remain positive as well- you will find a job !!
    THIS!

I just graduated and got the job I wanted, within a month. I literally spent all day every day applying for stuff, in touch with my uni careers service, going to interviews, writing out individual cover letters, amending my CV each time I sent it out and researching the area I wanted to go into.

I had the most success with the Guardian graduate jobs website, but also found working with recruitment companies helpful, especially the graduate recruitmant consultancy.

There ARE jobs out there for graduates. Definitely. You just have to be super-motivated and dedicated to get them, and be willing to spend a bit of cash getting to interviews etc. And if you can get to London, all the better as there are a lot of jobs centralised there. If you get a job in London on 20k then you can live there on that.

ReputationRep:
    I recently found some work through the Uni of London Careers site called Jobonlinehttp://bit.ly/WSHYT, which could be work checking out, especially if you're considering moving to London.

Good luck! You'll get there, just keep on trying

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.