Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is the heinemann books the best or other types better

i used the heinemann books for all my maths and further maths modules

for edexcel? the new M2 books from heinemann/pearson the orange one that is endorsed by edexcel

For AQA the best book, by far, is http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndS...199149896.html

For edexcel the heinnemann books are ok. There are just 2 issues that I have with them:
    M2: the way restitution is approached is very slack, the book uses a weak formula i.e. e= speed of separation/ speed of approach ; my issue with this is that you end up with some formulae in vectors and some in scalars.. using -e = v2-v1 / u2 - u1 is a much better approach.

M3: They claim that with a bead threaded on a horizontal wire that the reaction is towards the centre of the hoop; well it isn't, it is at angle of theta to the horizontal with a component towards the centre ( and of course a vertical component too)

For pure, hmmm, well again they are ok but have some horrific errors (some have been corrected in later issues).

For Further maths, well they do cover the material, but they really lack depth, I usually issue the yellow Bostock and Chandler and cover certain sections from here too.

There are a further series of very good books , big red books ( i think by a pair of brothers called Gaultier, but I will have to check) these are also good reference.

The one + point of the new edexcel books is that they do have full worked solutions, so you can check your own ideas against these.

Sadler & Thorning - Understanding Mechanics is pretty good, and it has all the theory up to M2 with some M3 and M4 principles, I think.
How are you feeling about your exams?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.